Export Issue--Video is Distorted/Black Bars

I'm brand-new to Hitfilm 2017 and am having a problem when exporting a video. My little point-and-shoot Sony Cybershot camera films in 1440x1080. When I export the video in a preset (I've tried the YouTube 1080 & Facebook 720), the video has black bars on the side and the video has been compressed to be "skinnier," if that makes sense. I've tried making a custom preset with the 1440x1080, and while the video is not distorted, the sides have been cropped off by black bars. Help! (I used to use PowerDirector on my old computer, and I never had any issues with export using the default MP4 settings so I'm very confused.)

Comments

• edited September 27

How the video looks in editor:

The distortion when exported with YouTube and Facebook presets: 

The distortion (black bars) when exported using a custom 1440x1080 setting: 

MOD EDIT: Changed image links to direct links so the forum would display them properly

• Start a normal 1080p or 720p project. After you import a clip, right click on it and select Properties. Make sure the Aspect Ratio is set to HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.33). If it isn't, uncheck From File and set it manually. 

When you drop a clip on the timeline you're probably getting a prompt alerting you the clip differs from the editor sequence and asking if you want to change that. Select NO!. 

Your clips have what's called an anamorphic resolution and the actual aspect ratio is 4:3 instead of 16:9. By selecting No in the prompt you are forcing your clip to conform to the 16:9 aspect ratio. When you select Yes for the prompt, the 4:3 aspect ration is kept and it can cause you problems when you try to export. For a much better and more complete explanation check out this article: Anamorphic Widescreen – Understanding Pixel Aspect Ratios

• Thank you so much! That explanation helps a lot, and I was able to sort out the issue. :)

Sign in to comment