Hitfilm 4 crashes when working with images

I've been using hitfilm express for a little while but only with videos. I have some images I'm trying to use and it's crashing quite a bit. Here are my specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate

Core i7-6700 4.0gzh

16 gig of Ram

Duel Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

I'm Using HitFilm 4 Version: 4.0.5723.10801

Here is information about the issue:

First, most images are fine, I have no trouble at all with them. The problem comes in when I try to use a very wide image. (I'm trying to have it scroll across the screen)

The image I'm trying to use is 9016x1281

I pull it into my media and everything is fine. I bring it into the the timeline and everything is fine. I create a composite shot and everything is fine but if I try to do anything with that composite, even just click on the film to view it, Hitfilm crashes.

I've tried converting it from PNG to JPG and have the same result. I've tried it on 2 different computers with similar hardware (the other just had an AMD CPU instead of Intel) all with the same result.

The image is just a series of 1's and 0's which I would like to scroll from left to right across the screen.

Thank you for your help. Other than this issue Hitfilm has been a fantastic product so far.

Comments

• The max image size for HitFilm 4 is 4096 x 4096 so I'm pretty sure your horizontal resolution of 9016 is the problem. You could try slicing it into thirds before importing then animate them individually in an embedded comp. Sorry that's a lot more work but I don't think resizing is the best choice for how you want to use it.

• I can import Canon 5Ds JPEG files into Hitfilm Express 2017. 8688x5792. JPEG file created by On1 Photo raw.

I can scroll around the image using the transform controls. Express 2017 is limited to UHD rez (3840x2160). I'm not sure what Express 4 will do. I don't have it installed. Hitfilm 4 Pro handles the image just fine.

Windows 10, 4Ghz i7 4770k, 16GB ram, GTX 980 GPU, driver 382.53

• @hugme your issue is most likely that your GPU only has 512MB of VRAM, which is the minimum to run HitFilm.

As suggested, a workaround would be to crop or resize your image depending on your project needs.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment