Why does Hitfilm Pro NOT crash?

This probably sounds a little bit of an odd question, but I'm just wondering if Hitfilm Pro is handling the hardware components in a better way than other applications.

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my computer and had some discussions about that here on the forum. This is why I don't go into too many details here.

In the meantime I had the time to run some tests. I always convert my H.264 footage into DNxHD using Davinci Resolve, before I go to Hitfilm Pro. With the new CPU and GPU etc. DaVinci renders now 2.5 times as fast as it used to. However, there will be a point where the power supply (the new bottleneck of my configuration) shuts the whole system down. So I have to run DaVinci on 2 or 4 (best 3) cores of the 8 that my CPU has. Then it will still render faster than it did in the past and will not crash.

This made me curious, so I decided to convert the H.264 footage in Hitfilm into Cineform. I notice that Hitfilm Pro now renders a lot faster as well, but it will not crash. It just renders like a champ. There is no need for me to lower the number of cores that the program is allowed to use in order to prevent the power supply from shutting down. 

It feels like DaVinci is just hitting the acceleration full throttle like a kid and Hitfilm is driving like an adult. I actually like that metaphore :-)

Comments

• edited September 16

Hitfilm does not crash as much as other software because FxHome does a good job developing, testing and fixing issues in their software. It does not matter how great the UI or features are in an app. If it is twitchy, then it is annoying to use.

You mention the PSU is your current "bottleneck". A PSU can never be a bottleneck to throughput. If the PSU does not have the proper capacity for the hardware installed in your system that is a flat out error. It is possible for an overloaded PSU to harm the system (motherboard, CPU, GPU, HD etc).

It is known that Hitfilm does not fully utilize available hardware on most PCs. Most often during exports. If the hardware is not being fully utilized then it draws less power. Helping to ease your PSU problem.

Utilization is not speed, and speed is not utilization. Speed is throughput in frames per seconds made good. Hitfilm could be faster, in absolute terms, if it is able to more fully utilize available hardware. All else being equal.  Comparing the speed (throughput) of one app to another can be difficult. You have to precisely reproduce a project in both.

Cineform in Hitfilm 2017 is far more efficient than any other input format used in Hitfilm.

If you like the car metaphor, then if your car has a 400HP engine and the throttle has a limiter at 75%, then what good is the powerful engine. It is only of use if you can use all of the throttle to be able to use all of the engine. Then again, if your app/car has a 75% limiter then maybe you want an 600HP engine. 75% of 600HP is 450HP. More than a 400HP engine at full throttle.

• NormanPCN When I upgraded my system, I filled out a form at a PSU-vendor's website with all the installed components. The outcome was the PSU I had should be just fine.

However, when I render with DaVinci at the highest speed the PSU will get to hot and shuts everything down. This is why I call it the bottleneck. I know that it is not actually effecting the throughput, but it's preventing me from using the components at full power. This is were your metaphor comes into play.
    I'm going to install a more powerful PSU very soon :-)

• UPDATE: My PSU just died whilst rendering a 7 minute composite. A new one is in the mail and will arrive tomorrow around noon.

• There's more to power supplies than just the wattage. Sticking to known and well reviewed units and brands is crucial here. A lot of no name's don't care about any form of protection at all, and so if it fails, it can take out all the components in your PC when it dies, or if it gets uncontrollable voltage spikes.

• edited September 19

@CNK I hope for the best. I ordered a Corsair RM750x with a lot of good reviews. It's quite a popular brand here in NL.

UDATE: Built in the mentioned PSU. 750 watts compared to the old one with 450 watts. The first thing that caught my eyes was that the temperature of the CPU and GPU is suddenly 10 to 20 degree Celsius less at normal use. I didn't change anything when it comes to the cooling system though.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment