Multiple masks - preventing things from slipping through

Hi!  Thanks for taking the time to help.  I apologize if this question is posted elsewhere, but I've looked long and hard and haven't been able to find a post that quite answers my question, although many got me a lot closer.

So, in Hitfilm Express 2017, I created a long text box that moves from top to bottom, much like credits in a movie, but in the opposite direction.  I placed a mask (not the mask in the text layer itself, as I didn't want the mask to move with the text) over that text box and make a slot so that only one line of text can appear at a time as it scrolls down.  

I would like to add a second text box and mask combo as well, so that I can have two sets of single lines scrolling through two different sets of text.  I want to position them vertically, one above the other.

However, the texts of one text box will also appear through the hole intended for the other text box and vise-versa.  Essentially, because the text is scrolling through the entire screen, it pops up in the slot intended for it, but also in the slot at the bottom of the screen intended for a different set of text.  

I have fiddled with the mask behavior (add, darken, ect.), but can only get either both to appear while interfering with each other, or both to be covered up.  Is there a way to get scrolling text to only be visible on certain parts of the screen without exposing it to holes in other masks?  

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this!  I really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Comments

• When you say you've applied a mask, but not to the text itself, what did you do?

If you're using the Set Matte Effect on two different planes with two different masks, they should produce separate lines of text.

• Hello Palacono.  What I meant was that there is an option within the text drop downs to apply a mask.  I did not use that one, as the mask moves with the text if you move it.  Instead, I made a new layer that had a mask on it.

I didn't think about the Set Matte Effect!  If I understand it right, it's essentially a layer that's a copy of the source.  If I just copy the bottom half of my source video, perhaps I could place that behind the front most text and mask, but in front of the back most.  ie, between the two layers so that the front is visible, but the back (the bottom half of it) is cover up. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

The Set Matte effect can use the alpha, luminance or any color channel of Layer A for use as a transparency map for Layer B. 

This video goes into detail as well as discussing masks and keys, and how a Matte, Mask and Key are all ways of defining a transparency Map. 

https://youtu.be/9I5VBZwPllM

• Hey Triem23.  Thanks for the video!  It was really helpful (although a little creepy) with figuring out the matte feature, which I had no idea about at the time.

Actually, though, I managed to figure out a different way to get the result that I wanted.   What I did was placed a mask within the text layer, which exposed only a single line of text.  My original problem with this method originally was that the mask moved with the text.  So, I just key framed the mask position where I wanted it every time the text scrolled.  A little tedious, but it worked out great.  I'm assuming that this is because, since the mask is "within the layer", it prevents the text from another layer from peeking in through the mask.  

Here's an example of what I was trying to do in case my explanation wasn't clear or you're just curious.  I'm an English teacher in Japan and this is a new kind of conversation practice I'm trying out.  This is just the test video, hence the lack of effort.  
    https://youtu.be/42S1Y_XlkCo

I'll definitely try to figure out a way to use the matte, though, since the method I used would be tedious for long conversations.  I appreciate the help everyone!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited September 16

I got what you did. :) animating the mask directly on the text layer to counter-move works. Now, with the Set Matte for a longer conversation, you could make a plane layer the size of a line of text and use that as a matte source. 

Inscape Digital did a tutorial that shows how to use a plane as a matte source. That's a specific application so I thought the Hit-U tutorial would be a better start since that tutorial covers a lot of conceptual basics. This Inscape tutorial should be the last puzzle piece. 

https://youtu.be/SzJZ8wMcEt4

Sign in to comment