Bugs: making a comp from a rate-stretched clip doesn't behave properly.

When making a comp out of a rate-stretched clip on the editor timeline, HitFilm currently doesn't juggle the footage properly.  For example, say I have a 3-second clip in my editor timeline, and I rate stretch it 300% so that it becomes a 1-second clip.  If I right-click on the clip and choose "Make Composite Shot", no matter what choices I set in the dialog box, HitFilm will make a comp that only contains one second of the original footage, instead of the full original three seconds.  I'd like to think that determining the un-stretched length should be fairly easy when it comes to putting the correct amount of footage into the new comp, but it's not currently working.

On top of that, if I choose "Move With Clip" for the Effects and Transform Properties option when making the comp, the rate-stretch (in my mind) should move to the clip embedded in the comp, but it doesn't.  The rate stretch is simply removed from the comp on the editor timeline, but no stretch is applied to the clip in the comp.

Comments

• I have a clip that is sped up (300%) which I wish to make a composite shot to add text on top of the video, this has worked fine for all non-sped up clips. However, when I make a composite shot it doesn't match the timing of the video, it seemingly plays the first 4 seconds of the original clip rather than the edited (sped up) version for 4 seconds meaning I am left with a black screen and none of the video I edited for the remainder of that particular clip.

I've spent quite a bit of time looking through the forums to get a fix but none of the ones detailed have worked. I think I saw one saying there is no fix; does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks.

• If you are creating a composite from the NLE timeline

..If you are using the Speed effect you need to have effects and transform properties transferred to the composite from the clip. "move with clip".

...If you used the rate stretch tool or the speed/duration dialog then that property does not transfer from the NLE timeline to the composite when you select, "move with clip". Most everything else transfers so maybe this is an oversight.

Either way you are probably better off creating the comp, then doing your speed change stuff in the comp. Then just drop the composite on your NLE timeline and/or trim the NLE clip as necessary if you created the comp from the NLE timeline.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited September 4

@NormanPCN speculation: Rate Stretch in Order of Operations is applied before Transform and Effects, so I think it would be an "oversight" that Rate Stretch doesn't have an option to move to a created comp. Since Rate Stretch seems to occupy its own little processing slot it might be harder than we'd think to implement that in a Composite conversion? 

Changing Speed via Properties should globally affect all instances of the media clip. 

• @Triem23 One one level I wonder about, harder to implement. A layer in a comp is much like a clip on the NLE timeline. It is a single media item that has in and out points just like an NLE clip. The speed change might change the internal "in" point computation value. By this I mean is the speed change is a "virtual" change in playback speed kinda like changing the frame rate in media properties is "real" change. Then Hitfilm is effectively showing the clip window into the media using the virtual computed in/out points. The exact frame number of the in/out points are different.

I can take a clip, use speed duration and make a composite from the clip. Then I have to change the layer in/out points because the comp layer has in/out points based on original media speed. It is tedious but I can do it. If I as a plain user, with only the Hitfilm UI function available to me can do the speed transfer from NLE to composite then, the Devs should be able to do so as well.

• @el_doubleu "I wish to make a composite shot to add text on top of the video"

If all you want to do is add some text on top of your video then I would just create a separate stand alone composite shot that contains only your text. Then just put that text on a track above your video in the NLE. I have usually had a video track, that I named text, where I would stuff my text media generators. To me it just seemed easy.

• Okay, that's a little annoying. I saw the post from @el_doubleu tacked onto the end of a completely different thread, and replied to it there after discovering this supposed bug, not knowing that he/she had also made a brand new thread on the same topic.  Seriously, people. Don't start a new thread AND tack the exact same question onto the end of another.

Bottom line: still feels like bug to me that making a comp from a rate-stretched clip doesn't behave the way you would expect it to.

• I'm good with calling it a bug. I'll bet the reality is that it is an Oops, we forgot to take "make composite shot" into account after adding the rate stretch feature.

Anyway what we have now are bastard results. No hand waving argument can explain them. In/out points based on unstretched timing and clip length based on stretched timing.

Two different things need to happen, IMO, if one wants the Hitfilm UI to be self consistent.

1. If we choose to not move the stretch to the comp, then the comp should get the unstretched clip in/out points and speed. Everything stays self consistent.
    2. If we choose to move the stretch then, the properties are just moved to the comp from the clip.

If all Hitfilm ever did was #1, one can make an argument about that is the way is should be. Others can argue that #1 and #2 are proper. That's quibbling about "best". What we have now are whacko results. No argument.

• @NormanPCN Thank you so much, your last comment solved it for me.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@jsbarrett yes, when users spread identical questions across multiple threads it's a little annoying. Well, yours had the better title, so yours gets to "become" the merged thread. ;-) 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment