Import 'image sequence' question

Hi, 
I'm newbie in this forum.
I want to know how can I import image sequence.
I'd like to import 640x352 643frame sequence in project.
But I cannot import it.
In media properties tab, 'This file could not imported' message shows.
Any restriction to import sequence?
thanks.

Comments

• Looks like your files are named wrong. For a 643 frame sequence your files should be: test000, test001, test002...642. If the files are not named with sequential numbers, the computer doesn't know they are a sequence.
  • My sequence files have the sequential numbers already. :(
    I tried renamed them to 'test_0000' 'test_0001'.... .
    But the same result. :(
  • Hmmmm. Jpg, png, bmp, gif, tga? What's the file type?
  • There might be another solution. I was on an open source video editor's forum not long ago and someone asked the same question with the same results thus far. Their solution was to reset the software generating the frames so that it didn't name each file using the underscore character ("test0001" as opposed to "test_0001"). Not sure if your software allows this but it's a thought. Thank you for your time.
  • If that doesn't work (dropping the underscore from the file name), I would look at the image size and, as Triem23 has suggested, the file type.
    I don't know much about HitFilm as I'm still learning it myself (got it when it came out for the Mac), but--given that the presets seem to work for 720p, it might be--and I know I might be reaching here--prudent to try exporting your image sequence at nHD (640 x 360) as opposed to 640 x 352, if possible.
    The other thing to consider is whether or not your images have properties that HitFilm doesn't accept. For example--as I understand it--HitFilm doesn't import OpenEXR files. If your files have properties that HitFilm doesn't accept, you may need to run the sequence out as a more basic format first (baseline PNGs, JPGs, TGAs in 8 or 16-bit) and see if those import well.
    As stated above, I'm new to HitFilm...but not new to animation software. Again, thank you for your time and I hope this helps.

• edited December 2013
    Thanks for the answers, but still not works.
    My sequence file is normal jpeg file and I can import in Mocha Hitfilm, but I cannot import in Hitfilm itself.
    That is most strange thing.
    I have to investigate more.
    :(
  • edited December 2013
    Make sure you are selecting the directory and not the files in the directory.  Also make sure that there are no other files in the directory except that image sequence.
  • Ooops, bet ES Pictures sussed it.
  • Ooops, bet ES Pictures sussed it.

I'm constantly using image sequences.  Every animation I render in luxrender comes out as a .png sequence.  And sometimes I get ahead of myself and try and load the directory before deleting the .flm files that lux leaves in the directory and I have to go back and delete them before trying again, otherwise I get an error.

• I've been using images sequences a lot now too in Hitfilm, mainly when coming out of either Vue Studio (which I usually do as TIFFs) or Blender. Works wonderfully.
    The one thing that did originally throw me, though, was that I didn't actually notice that there was a specific "Image Sequence" option to use under "Import..."....I would instead try to use "Import > Media" and select multiple files....d'oh!  :)
    But like ES Pictures said: sometimes I'll forget that there's other types of files in the same directory, which causes problems. I'll then just remember to put all the image sequence files into their own folder and it works great.  :) 
  • edited December 2013
    Ah, thanks.
    It works. :)
    ES Pictures are right. I removed other file (.ifl) and works well!!! 
    Thank you guys!
  • I've been using images sequences a lot now too in Hitfilm, mainly when coming out of either Vue Studio (which I usually do as TIFFs) or Blender. Works wonderfully.
    The one thing that did originally throw me, though, was that I didn't actually notice that there was a specific "Image Sequence" option to use under "Import..."....I would instead try to use "Import > Media" and select multiple files....d'oh!  :))

Yeah, I have a Vue 10 Complete license too.  Although lately I have been using it to make backgrounds that I can use the environment map tool on in HF rather than animation.  Trying to import any animation over 5 frames by hand gives me a headache just thinking about it.  You'd have to resize them all to 1 frame manually.  :wacko:

Ah, thanks.
    It works. :)
    ES Pictures are right. I removed other file (.ifl) and works well!!! 
    Thank you guys!

Glad you got it going!

• Congratulations! Well Done!

• Yeah, I have a Vue 10 Complete license too.  Although lately I have been using it to make backgrounds that I can use the environment map tool on in HF rather than animation.  Trying to import any animation over 5 frames by hand gives me a headache just thinking about it.  You'd have to resize them all to 1 frame manually.  :wacko: 

I've been doing exactly the same thing with Vue generated background plates as either environment maps, or huge enough to make a 3D plane of and swing the camera around.
    But I've also been importing animations from Vue into HF as image sequences as well, and never had any issues...not sure what you mean by resizing all to one frame manually? The animations have been pretty huge too - a couple I did at 60fps, one of which literally took a little under the week to fully render a 4 second animation at 1080 (even using a HyperVue network farm setup). I just imported the entire completed sequence of TIFFs into Hitfilm, and worked wonderfully with no problems (including slowing the 60fps waaaaaaaaaay down, which turned it into about 12 seconds and looked awesome).
  • Just that when you drop a still image onto the Hitfilm timeline, it doesn't automatically drop as 1 frame.  You'd have to manually readjust the length to that for each frame if you tried importing an entire animation manually.  heh
    Yeah, that's one reason I don't use Vue for animation as often is because it's slow.  When I use lux, I can control the lighting setup and dial in exactly how many samples I want each frame to render to, so I can stay under 10-15 minutes per frame render time and still get a good quality image.
  • HarHar
    edited December 2013
    Just that when you drop a still image onto the Hitfilm timeline, it doesn't automatically drop as 1 frame.  You'd have to manually readjust the length to that for each frame if you tried importing an entire animation manually.  heh

Ah, OK...I see what you mean! I've never done it that way myself - I just exported out of Vue specifically as an image sequence of TIFFs, and then instead of trying to drop them one at a time into the timeline in Hitfilm, I just import them all at once using Import > Image Sequence which preserves the 1-image-per-frame ratio, and then creates a single clip out of everything. THEN I'll drop that one clip into a Comp layer.  :) 
    Yeah, that's one reason I don't use Vue for animation as often is because it's slow.  When I use lux, I can control the lighting setup and dial in exactly how many samples I want each frame to render to, so I can stay under 10-15 minutes per frame render time and still get a good quality image.

Yah, it's definitely much faster and easier doing something like that. And in my case, it's also MUCH faster to render a 5 second animation at 24fps than doing crazy things like at 60fps.  :)) (though in that instance, there really was method to my madness and it worked out exactly as I'd hoped). It's true, Vue ain't the speediest thing when it comes to large renders....though one thing I did find that drastically reduces the render time was suggested to me by their support people: cutting down the motion blur amount, or better - removing it altogether and then applying any desired motion blur within Hitfilm instead.
    But that said - I do agree: Vue is awesome when you only want it to create a single background plate, and then do various degrees of camera motion animation and such right within Hitfilm itself instead which is a MUCH faster workflow.  :) 
  • edited February 2014
    Hi all,
    It is also importent that the folder which contains the images has to have the same name as the images you want to import as a sequence.
    Greetings
    TengriLethos
  • It is also importent that the folder which contains the images has to have the same name as the images you want to import as a sequence.

Not really; I just imported a large series of image files named image00000.png, image00001.png, image00002.png, etc from a folder with an entirely different name, "ImgSeq"....imported into Hitfilm without any problems.

• Yeah, what Har said. I imported an Image Sequence from a Folder named Images with filenames Rings001, Rings002, etc.
    The main thing with importing image sequences is you select the folder, not the contents, and the folder should contain nothing BUT the image sequence.
  • I sometimes have problems importing image sequenzes, some images are just displayed as black blocks, what can be the reason for this ?

The images are all PNG and the same size and named test000, test001, test002...

There are no other files inside the folder. Strange that some images are displayed but others just as black blocks although they are the exact same size and have the exact same parameters as the ones who show up.

• @Wiggum15  I had this happen to me only one time when I rendered into a folder that I had rendered into before and that first render had all black output because I didn't get the lights right.  I thought the next render would overwrite the files of the same name but it didn't.  Instead it put one of the new renders on either side of the old render files and caused serious stuttering on playback.  I just went in and selected all with the oldest timecode and deleted them, but it sounds like your case may be different.  I would double check the render settings of the program that is outputting the PNGs and make sure it's rendering one step at a time.  But that's just a guess... 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment