[ANSWERED] FPS Issues

edited August 13 in Filmmaking

I'm very new to Hitfilm Express, so I need some help with an issue I'm having.

When I am editing my clips and putting them together to make a video, I hit Play to see how the video is so far, and the frame rate is horrid. I am using all 1280x720 clips with 29 f/s and an according template.  I would say that the frame rate is about halved when I give the video a test run. Any ideas? Does the frame rate get better again when I download the finished product?

Also I am using Hitfilm Express 2017.

Update: I finished the project and exported it, and they frame rate is still poor. I opened it up in File Manager and it is the same bad video. I need help!

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Depending on your system specs, amount of effects you're using, the codec of your video and several other factors, it's not unusual for Hitfilm (or any NLE) to be unable to maintain full-speed playback preview in the Editor. 

In Hitfilm you can try proxying Composite Shots to speed playback and/or lower the viewer resolution to Half or Quarter. 

Exported videos will play with 100% smoothness. 

• @Triem23

So just to confirm,

no matter how it looks in the Editor, the video will look A OK  after I export and download it, correct?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

correct. :-)

• @Triem23

Thanks for the help! I was pretty worried.

• @Triem23

It didn't work.

• Can you elaborate on what exactly didn't work?  If you have screenshots or test renders you can post online, please include links so we can see what's happening.

• @jsbarrett

Basically, I insert several clips into the Editor, all 29.97 frames per second, and they come out with a much choppier frame rate, about 15 frames per second. I don't have any links, but it's pretty straightforward. My video is just not as smooth as what it should be.

• Double-check your project and export settings.  Everything should be 29.97, but my gut says that either the project or export frame rate is set to something else.

• @jsbarrett

1280x720, 29.97 fps, 1.0 sqaure pixels, still not working. If there's nothing I can do, I might just try some other editing software, not that big a deal.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@xXGatorXx2 What were your clips recorded with?

• @Aladdin4d

Nothing fancy. Just XBOX Game DVR.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@xXGatorXx2 My guess is you are running into a variable frame rate problem. You can use MediaInfo to get more info about your source clips that might help.

HitFilm Express 2017 can handle some variable frame rate clips making it one of the very few NLE's that does but it doesn't seem to be handle any and all of them yet. For the record no NLE does yet. If MediaInfo reports a variable frame rate your best option is to pick one of the tried and true methods for optimizing your footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqhl0mRuTng

• @Aladdin4d

Thanks for the help! I'll check the video out.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment