Help adding Hitfilm to Wikipedia list of video editors

edited July 30 in Everything Else

Could someone help me add Hitfilm Pro and Hitfilm Express to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software

I don't know the answers to most of the table columns.

Perhaps you could help by changing the yes to no when it's not applicable for Hitfilm import capabilities:

! DVCPRO HD
! Uncompressed HD
! IMX
! [[AVCHD]]
! [[XDCAM|XDCAM HD]]
! [[HDV]]
! [[AVC-Intra]]
! [[DNxHD]]
! [[RED Digital Cinema|R3D]]
|-
! [[Hitfilm Express]]
| {{yes}}
| {{yes}}
| {{no}}
| {{yes}} (via paid add-on)
| {{yes}} (via paid add-on)
| {{yes}}
| {{yes}} (via paid add-on; 8-bit/channel only)
| {{yes}} (via third-party codec)
| {{no}}

|-
! [[Hitfilm Pro]]
| {{yes}}
| {{yes}}
| {{no}}
| {{yes}}
| {{yes}}
| {{yes}}
| {{yes}} (8-bit/channel only)
| {{yes}} (via third-party codec)
| {{no}}

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

DVCPRO HD YES

! Uncompressed HD YES

! IMX NO

! [[AVCHD]] YES. For Pro, requires add on in Express 

! [[XDCAM|XDCAM HD]] I'm not certain. XDCAM is a variant of h.264, so maybe? Later I'll test. 

! [[HDV]] YES

! [[AVC-Intra]] YES in Pro--add on for EXPRESS 

! [[DNxHD]] YES (requires third party codec installation 

! [[RED Digital Cinema|R3D]] NO

• XDCAM is MPEG-2. At least XDCAM HD.  So Pro=Yes, Express=Add-on

What container is AVC-Intra? Also, I think AVC-Intra is 10-bit which means no for all Hitfilm. Express has an AVC decoder but I wonder if Express can handle MXF, or m2ts files without the add-on pack. MP4 sure.

edited July 30

@NormanPCN AVC all-Intra just means no B or P frames. It can encode in MOV or MP4 containers. My Canon 5d MkIV can record All-I codecs in 8-bit 4:2:2 so, technically AVC-Intra loads into Hitfilm (I've done it today...), but 10-bit AVC Intra does not. An all-I 8-bit 4:2:2 also loads in. 

So, to be correct, answer is "Yes (8-bit/channel only). 

• @Triem23, Yes but I am really asking about the "AVC-Intra" spec as defined by Panasonic. There are a lot of specs using the generic/full AVC codec with specified restrictions the full AVC spec. AVCHD, XAVC and what I believe the AVC-Intra name references.

@NormanPCN your knowledge exceeds mine here, so I'll leave you a link. I think this is the white paper. 

AVC-Intra FAQ - Panasonic

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/PBTS/papers/FAQ_AVC-Intra.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiEo6aW6K_VAhWjj1QKHQJ3BnYQFggvMAU&usg=AFQjCNHtcp5NhIMuPXZeFF2lfb_VqLiipw

Although it looks like I am in error, and Panasonic's codec is 10-bit. There is a Mainconcept codec... I might be able to get a hold of some AVC-INTRA footage to test. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Mainconcept breaks up their H.264 support into two separate encoder/decoder pairs, standard and broadcast. 

The standard pair supports 4:2:0 8 bit and MPEG 2 TS, MOV and MP4 containers.

The Broadcast pair supports 4:2:2 10 bit and MPEG 2 TS, MOV, MP4 and MXF for XAVC and Panasonic P2/AVC-Intra.

HitFilm ships with the standard pair not the broadcast pair so in theory in shouldn't be able to open any 10 bit AVC material.

On a side note Smart Rendering and 360VR are extra options over and above the encoder/decoder pairs.

• Thanks! How about:

! [[High Definition Video|High Definition]] support YES
    ! [[Non-destructive editing]] YES
    ! Multitrack editing YES
    ! Full-screen playback
    ! Storyboard mode
    ! Video tracks limit
    ! Audio tracks / max channels
    ! [[Linear timecode]] display
    ! [[GPGPU]] with [[OpenCL]] acceleration

! Full-screen playback PRO ONLY

! Storyboard mode NO

! Video tracks limit UNLIMITED 

! Audio tracks / max channels UNLIMITED 

! [[Linear timecode]] display YES

! [[GPGPU]] with [[OpenCL]] acceleration NO

• Thanks. That's all I needed :)

• The GPGPU OpenCL column is technically no for Hitfilm because Hitfilm is using OpenGL (probably fragment shaders). There is one other editor in that table lists, Yes (CUDA). That is technically incorrect given the column header listing OpenCL.

It is very bad that the table lists OpenCL. Actually it is brain dead stupid. Really who cares if something is using OpenCL, OpenGL GLSL or CUDA. They are all slightly different paths to the same result. Using the GPU stream processors to speed up effects/filter processing. What users want to know is does the editor use the GPU to speed up effects processing. The answer to that is absolutely Yes for Hitfilm.

So maybe for Hitfilm list. Yes (OpenGL).

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment