Express 2017 became unusable.

Hello,

today I updated Hitfilm Express 2017 and it became completely unusable. 

"New project" doesn't work.

"Export" of existing projects doesn't work.

Nothing happens, it just stays there and the only option is to quit the program. 

Everything was working fine before the update. Reinstalling the software didn't change the behavior.

Any ideas?

I'm using Windows 10.

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• @LeandroSeabra

It has to do with the HD4600 you're using, I'd send a support ticket...

• Don't know if it is too late to start asking about this again but the same thing happened to me and i cant fix it i can edit my videos fine just that the video is very laggy when i go to preview it and i can not access the project tab or the export tab 

any help would be appreciated. 

• Just so you know, since 2017 version you need a lot more powerful PC.

Before 2017 my video previewing etc was rather smooth, but now some of my projects are not able to be viewed as they are so lagged and slow it's unusable.

To help give you an indication of what PC specs you need, here are my specs, so you need a lot better than mine to get Hitfilm 2017 running smooth:

Intel i5-6400 (Skylake) 2.70GHz
    8GB RAM
    NVIDIA GTX 960
    Samsung SSD 650 120GB

All the best.

• @Yeremyah

Yeah, I don't have those issues as I'm running on a core i7 with 16 gigs of ram... Surprisingly enough, my video card is worse that yours and I don't have major playback issues...

• edited July 12

Then I must have a bottleneck elsewhere :(  Probably my 8GB Ram and lower i5 CPU

• Just so you know, since 2017 version you need a lot more powerful PC. - @Yeremyah

The minimum requirements for running HitFilm 2017 (both Pro and Express) haven't changed compared to HitFilm 4. If you could run HF4 you should be able to run HF 2017.

There are a couple of issues that come to mind regarding @LeandroSeabra and @jesseg333 posts. The first is when using the Intel HD 4000, we found a bug, fixed it and are now undergoing testing of the fix. The second one is when you cannot access other screens (eg project or export screen), we're still investigating this one but for now, it seems that it affects people with both an integrated GPU and a mobility dedicated GPU (eg NVidia 860m). I think so far everyone that contacted us via support was asked to try reverting their GPU drivers to the previous version and it seemed to have fixed it for them. We are in contact with NVidia to get to the bottom of this issue. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience, we are doing everything we can to fix this ASAP.

Before 2017 my video previewing etc was rather smooth, but now some of my projects are not able to be viewed as they are so lagged and slow it's unusable. - @Yeremyah

This is not something we have seen here, I would be curious to see what's in the project. Would you be able to send it our way?

• edited July 12

I understand @CedricBonnier , but "running" and "running smooth" is what I was referring to.

And Yes I will send one example of a project that was viewing, playing in timeline and editing smoothly in Express 4, but is very sluggish and slow and unusable for me in Express 2017.  I will message you the link.

• Thanks for your time @CerdicBonnier much appreciated

• How long do you think it will take to update the fix for the Intel 4000 graphics card? I'm desperate to do some work.

• A driver update for the NVIDIA came out. Installed it.

The most recent release of Express. Installed it.

Still not working properly. 

• I am having a similar issue. I can edit a project I created before, but I cannot create a new project or open the Project Tab or Export Tab.

My PC:

GTX 1060 6GB

Intel Core i7 7700HQ

16 GB  DDR4 RAM

• Brand new user and this is the same problem I am having.

PC Specs:

Core i7-6700HQ (4C, 2.6 / 3.5GHz, 6MB)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

8GBx2

Windows 10

All drivers up to date

• Just did the update and now I cant edit nor export my video just sits there, I really liked this software and really want to keep on using for my projects. I was able to edit after 20 mins, but now I still cant export. need help asap. I got intel i7, nividia 940mx and 16 ram, never had a problem until today.

• I had a problem with my Hitfilm Express 2017 following a driver update to my Dell XPS 15 (2016). After about 8 hours of complaining and regret I rolled the new graphics driver back and it works again. 

• AdyAdy Staff

Guys - If support haven't told you to do so yet, could you please rollback your driver to 382.05. We are currently working with Nvidia on this, but it would appear that rolling back the driver to this version corrects the issue for now.

When I have more information I will naturally update you all.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks,
    Ady

• edited August 1

I did the update last night and now Hitfilm wont even open. I just get an option to send an error log. The Driver roll back does nothing. Please help!

EDIT: Is there a way to roll back the version of hitfilm to before the update?

• @Camscott Please contact support, it would be nice for us to find out if there is an issue with the last update or not.

• @Ady does the current beta 385.12 driver fix the issue?  

• AdyAdy Staff

@clpsharp - That is very unlikely at this moment in time, you are welcome to try but Nvidia have not updated us with any news on a fix as of yet.

• Hey all, just an update on this one...

As has been stated above we're working with Nvidia to solve this issue. Rolling back your driver to 382.05 works but all the more recent drivers (including the beta) don't work, and you'll have trouble with HitFilm.

I'm also running a Nvidia Optimus GPU switching laptop but have noticed that even with the latest drivers everything is fine as long as I'm working with an external monitor connected (which I do most of the time). I believe this means it stops the laptop to do any GPU switching, and therefore the driver bug doesn't impact the software.

• @JoshDaviesCEO  I don't know if this means anything, but my desktop system runs: 

AMD FX 8350 8-core 4 ghz

32 gb ram

GTX 1060 6 gb gpu with 384.76 drivers

and I have noticed nothing in the way of problems with Hitfilm Pro 2017 as others describe.  Just thought I'd list my specs to help maybe isolate the issue...unless it's strictly related to laptop drivers, and then mea culpa.

• So, here's an update.

NVIDIA just released an update to their driver and nothing really changed... so I tried a different approach.

On NVIDIA's control panel:
    - "Integrated graphics" as the preferred graphics processor for Hit Film;
    -  "High-Performance NVIDIA processor" for Hit Film Render Client.

Seems to be working now.

• edited September 2

@LeandroSeabra

I had a look in the NVIDIA Control Panel. Where can I find those settings.

I have the same configuration as

tddavis .

• @MarioKluser  Here is a short video showing how to get to Nvidia settings with the GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb.  Unfortunately, I could not find the settings @LeandroSeabra mentioned either.  I thought I'd go ahead and post this in case it was helpful anyway.  I have been unbelievably lucky with my system and Nvidia updates which I keep current and of course Win 10 updates whether you want it to or not.  So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any of the conflicts others have experienced.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01ci7dc2fYVdm93SFNtVS12a2M/view?usp=sharing

• @tddavis Thank you very much. My settings are the same. The only difference are the power settings. For Hitfilm I've set it to maximum performance.

When it comes to compositing, I'm still quite disappointed seen all the hardware updates I did in the last week:

Replacing the GeForce GT 710 with the GForce GTX1060
    Replacing 16GB DDR3 RAM with 32GB DDR 3 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury
    Replacing the AMD FX 4300 with the AMD FX 8350

• @MarioKluser  Your project isn't heavily laden with effect like particles, smoke, etc, is it?  I find those project still give me a bit of pause when previewing and such.  I've also noticed that, logically, exporting as an 1080p MP4 takes much longer than a 720p.  And I've found Uncompressed AVi to be extreme long.  Hope you get your system lined out soon.

• @tddavis I'm working on a feature film. My composites are not very intense. OK, some are, but most of them have two layers, yet the preview is lagging in full quality. The only work around is doing a RAM preview.
    I think I have to play around a bit more to discover what the hardware updates actually did. I can imagine that the final render time will be shorter though.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Well. In all Benchmark measures the 1060 is over ten times the speed of the 710. Actual rendering should be faster. Obviously.  

The 8350 is maybe 30% or so faster. An improvement, but nothing like the GPU. 

So other things could be happening. What's the drives media goes to an from. Are you doing mostly video or animation? Animation and most effects should be massively faster as  those are mostly GPU. Video, well, what file type and codec are you importing?  That's CPU. 

• edited September 2

@Triem23 I do mainly the ususal video footage with some chroma key effects a.s.o.

When it comes to the editing format I use it is DNxHD 8 Bit.

And of course everything on SSD-drives.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment