Is there an audio tool that shows the frequencies present in a sound?

I'm working with a video file supplied by my client.  It's from a screen capture program (which shall remain nameless for the present).

It has very terrible audio.    The program, which is still remaining nameless, unfortunately compresses the video and audio to the extreme.  The audio sounds swishy -- and slightly flanged at times -- as if you're listening to it through a cardboard tube... it's really bad.  I've been searching online for a solution to this for a long time.  It seems the nameless program manages it's own compression settings and there is no override.  

Now the client  just sent me an update to a section of the video,  and the audio is markedly better.  But, in order to make the new audio match the existing  audio  I have to somehow find an audio equalization setting that matches the frequencies  present  in the original track.

I can do it by ear, but is there a program or a plugin that can tell me, or show me visually what frequencies are present in an audio sample, so I can tune the EQ settings to match?

Comments

• HendoHendo Staff

Try Audacity. Import your audio then choose Plot Spectrum from the Analyze menu.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Really you're more interested in matching EQ than seeing a spectrum plot. Hendo correctly notes that Audacity can show a plot, which can help you visually identify bands, but there are several software plug ins to match EQ settings. None of those I am familiar with are free, but a Google search for "Match EQ" will show options. 

Bear in mind compression artifacts are different from EQ differences. Realistically to get a match you'll have to degrade your "good" audio to match your "bad" audio. You'll always have a certain mismatch. 

• Excellent -- exactly the information I needed.

Triem -- Why am I posting in the Pro forum?
    I upgraded.  Woo hoo!

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

After you use Plot Spectrum on one audio clip, print a copy of it. Now you'll have a reference you can look at it when you start on the second audio clip. It's easier than flipping back and forth. 

The process here might help too:

http://www.bootlegzone.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33347&start=0

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment