Our Lego Stop Motion Journey

My son and I embarked on a journey of creativity together using Lego and stop motion several months ago.

We have some limitations we are working within, such as, our camera is an iPad, our laptop isn't all that special, and we have a limited supply of Lego pieces at the moment. These limitations have forced us to work out, what we hope are, creative solutions within our means. 

Our recent project was called The Scream: A Wilhelm Scream parody. We were inspired to make this video after completing the Wilhelm Screamed battle on Borderlands 2.

Props to HitFilm!

https://youtu.be/zc9DtHFMYfA

Comments

• That's awesome!   Props to you for taking on such a project, and seeing it through to the end.  I've only dabbled in stop-motion animation once or twice, and haven't gone back because I just don't have the patience.  You and your son have clearly worked hard to overcome your limitations.  Way to go!  

• All hail the Wilhelm scream.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

@elementcityent ; What a great project.  Nicely done!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Truly a tale of terror, 

•  @jsbarrett Thanks for your comment. My kid has the patience to move the minifigures. Every  time I touch one the head falls off or something lame.

For the most part these projects are an opportunity for us to learn and create something together. We would like to up our game soon in terms of equipment.

Thank you @NormanPCN, @Stargazer54 and @Triem23.

• Excellent stuff. 
    I like stop motion but, like others, run out of patience.
    I'm not 100% sure I understand all the story (maybe I am missing some reference) but it is superbly put together.

My daughter's friend has a playmobil stop-motion channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXkzbSmUpHw9HzhMmpc4rLw)
    and I don't always fully understand their stories either... maybe you should hook up  :-)

• edited July 3

@elementcityent - Kudos for the patience it took to put this together! Good job! Once you expand your/your son's Legos you can do a lot more but for what you had- I can't fault a thing........although I don't get the reference either. I'll go google it.  ;^)

hmmmm- it's a band? Now I'm more confused. lol

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@tonyg @StormyKnight just a joke about how the Wilhelm scream is overused. Once it was just sound designer Ben Burtt sneaking it into all his mixes. Now that same (terrible) sound effect is overused. 

• edited July 4

Thanks @tonyg @StormyKnight

We will check out StopMobil123 within the next few days.

This cartoon strip hosted on Wikimedia pretty much sums up the concept.

‪Wilhelm Scream Cartoon

Sign in to comment