Youtube uploads give error with Hitfilm exports

Hi, all. I've been using Hitfilm 4 Express for about a year now and I've been pretty happy with it. It's taught me more about video editing than other programs I've used in the past.

I have issue uploading videos to Youtube when exported from Hitfilm. The videos seem to play upload and play fine on YouTube, but when uploading, Youtube always gives me a message that says "Your videos will upload and process faster if you use a format compatible with Youtube," However, I am exporting my videos as MP4, which Youtube supports.

I first export my videos as MP4 from Elgato Game Capture. I edit my audio in Audacity and export it as WAV. I do whatever I need to do to finish up my editing, and then go to export. My export Settings in H4Express are as follows:

Resolution:1280x720

Scale mode: Keep aspect ratio

Frame rate 29.97 (my capture program records at this rate)

Aspect ratio: Square pixels (1.0)

Profile: Main

Level: 4.0

Encoding: VBR, 1-pass

Target bitrate is 8.0 Mbps, Max is 12.0 Mbps, as I am almost positive Youtube re-encodes to this bitrate anyway.

For audio, my codec is AAC (which seems to be unchangeable) and bitrate is 192 Kbps.

As I said, the uploads seem to go fine, but I'm not really sure if I'm doing something wrong or if Youtube is just being strange. I know that Hitfilm has the option to upload directly to Youtube, but I do not like doing this as I schedule my videos for public viewing at a later time.

Comments

• I had that same warning from YouTube whenever I uploaded anything made in HitFilm, using similar (I'm guessing) settings from what you described.  Ever since updating to HitFilm Express 2017, though, I haven't had that problem.  I highly recommend the update!

• @jsbarrett, great, thanks! I'm making the upgrade now!

• @DClark747 ;

Don't worry about that warning. It is Youtube telling you the upload file is not structured in a "streaming" format MP4/MOV. Technically a streaming format MP4/MOV can start Youtube's video processing before the upload finishes. Otherwise processing starts after the upload finishes. Hitfilm does not give us the option to export a MP4 in streaming format.

• edited June 21

@NormanPCN, thanks! I understand definitely what this means now. I appreciate the assistance. I've edited a few videos using HitfilmExpress 2017 and am definitely very happy with it. The export options were a little different and took some getting used to, but I'm ultimately happy with it.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment