HitFilm Express 2017 Slower File Import?

Installed HitFilm Express 2017 today.  Looks nice :)

But I do notice my project files take around 4 times longer to load than usual.   Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

First time you load HFE 2017 has to rebuild the cache files. Things should be faster on second load. 

Things do load a bit slower in 2017. Think it's the new VFR code. 

• I never had this in Express 4, but 2017 gives me a debug.log file that says:

WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(291)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale 

Any ideas @Triem23?

No idea. Try a reinstall, if that doesn't work, try support. 

• What's best steps to do for a reinstall?  Uninstall first and then fresh install?

edited May 19

Probably. Just remember to deactivate. 

• If your projects have VFR footage then it will take time to generate caches the first time. Open the project, press play, close HitFilm and do the same thing again. Is it still much slower than HF4?

• edited May 19

@CedricBonnier I still see projects with CFR media very slow to import/open.

HF is decoding the media files. I tested that in one release of Pro2017 before the official VFR support and the official VFR support release.

A test on I my 4Ghz 4770k machine, 7200RPM HD, media files unchecked, it takes ~25-30 seconds to load a project with 4 media files (4 copies of same media), 55 seconds each, UHD, AVC in MP4. They are CFR. The stts box has one entry. Once media is in the system cache it of course opens much quicker.

The decode is unfortunate, thus slow. I can understand that MC maybe does not provide you will suitable APIs to get certain data without a slow full decode. IMO, it should not do this every time. The scan results should be saved in project or in the HF cache. Even for CFR.

I have to construct a test case to properly test but the "excessive" decode still seems to happen on every project open. I've not tested VFR. I don't have VFR media laying around. On my machine it is only painfully obvious with UHD AVC media since that would be the slowest to decode.

If my memory serves me, the scan did not complete to end of file. Maybe once the scan completes a certain percentage of file and finds it is not VFR then it stops the scan.

• @NormanPCN the behaviour did change between update 4 and update 5 and it's supposed to be much faster in update 5. However as I'm not the one working on this, I am not sure whether there's still some changes that are waiting for the next update or not. Please do share your findings here / to Ady.

• edited May 20

It seems faster now, thanks :)

By the way @CedricBonnier , I keep getting this inside a debug.log file that keeps getting created everytime I close HitFilm 2017:

[0519/224506:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(291)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale

This appears around 6 times after each other in the debug.log file that keeps getting recreated over and over in the same folder I keep my projects files, everytime I exit HitFilm.

What is the problem and solution?

• edited May 20

I received this lovely message when I installed HitFilm 2017:

Free upgrade!

We noticed your old HitFilm 4 Express license had:

Starter pack
    Sci-fi adventure pack
    "The Force" free effects
    Pro light flares pack
    We've upgraded you to the latest versions of each of these for free, so you can continue using them in HitFilm Express.

Thank you :)

• I noticed something weird... I uploaded a video into hitfilm express 2017.. and to my surprise it stuttered. I used resolution 1080p and 30fps. When I rendered the video - it stuttered as well. I thought  that maybe my video was damaged but no. I opened hitfilm 4 express and there my video didn't stutter.  Did anyone experience something like that?

Sign in to comment