How to update ? - Hitfilm Express 2017

Hi !

I would like to know how can i update to Hitfilm Express 2017 ?

Do i just choose the same folder and override my Hitfilm 4 Express installation ?

Is there a "updater" build in in Hitfilm 4 Express ?

Do i need do uninstall Hitfilm 4 Express first ?

Comments

• You don't override or overwrite anything, it's a completely new software built on top of the old one. ^^

You don't need to uninstall your existing copy of Express, here's the download link to HitFilm Express 2017: https://hitfilm.com/software-install/hitfilm-express-2017

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

There is no "updater." Hitfilm 2017 is a new program. 

I can't answer definitively. Deactivating and uninstalling Hitfilm 4 first is probably safest. 

•  @Triem23

Would be great if you can check that with the devs's (since you have the connections).

I would like to know if i can run both parallel or if i need to Deactivate the Hitfilm 4 Express license first.

• They're separate licenses. I run all of my HitFilms on one computer; I use them to check preset compatibility.

• @Wiggum15 If I recall correctly, when I installed Express 4 recently it asked if I wanted to move my Star Wars effects from 3 to 4.  It moved them and gave them a separate license number than that on my 3 acct and both show as activated in my account settings.

Like Inscape said, you can also have both versions on the same computer. 

I'd go with what tddavis says about add-ons. I've never installed add-ons. I keep my Express on the "base" version so when doing tutorials or answering questions on Express I have a reference with no add-ons. 

My Pro has it all. 

• I can confirm the above:

- It is a separate program, which you can run alongside the previous version if you like

- You'll get a separate license for it (and as tddavis says, any add-on packs you purchased or had will be included for free on the new license!)

- There's no need to deactivate 4 Express

• Thanks.

• Doesn't Hit Film 2017 come with 12 months of free updates?

So where do we get these free updates, or do we have to buy each update?

@FXhomer200696 Hitfilm Express 2017 is free and will likely go to version 6 in mid/late spring.

Hitfilm Pro 2017 is the last version under the old pricing model. I do not believe there will be future updates. The current version (6) had its 6.1 update in December. 

The most current installation of your software can always be accessed from your Account page on this site. Otherwise, Hitfilm usually tells you if an update is available when you open it. 

• @FXhomer200696

"Doesn't Hit Film 2017 come with 12 months of free updates?"

HitFilm Pro 2017, released in November 2016, had 7 free updates, the last of which was in July 2017. At no point did we say that there would be 12 months of three updates for HitFilm Pro 2017.

As Triem pointed out, we've changed our marketing and update model as of HitFilm Pro 6. When you buy a license with the new model, you get access to 12 months of free updates which will include fixes and major new features.

This doesn't mean that there will be 12 full months of free updates, just that you won't have to pay extra for any updates released in that period.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment