Chinese Matte Painting - Feedback

Hey everyone!

I recently submitted a matte painting for one of my assignment, would love to hear what you guys think. 

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW_jv7WniGA

Comments

• Wow this is pretty darn cool. Nicely done. For me it was the birds that just sold it, are they 3d of an overlaid media clip?

• edited May 15

@Anteki  Very well done!  I didn't even realize what I was seeing until the breakdown.  I thought it was an actual painting from the description and used that 3D nebula effect tutorial and didn't notice any of the separate elements at all.

• thanks @andy001z, unfortunately, the birds were just green screen stock footage, i was planning to model, skin, rig and animate the bird for the shot if i had the time but for the module, unfortunately, i had to make do with the video which turned out a lot better than i thought

• Well either way they look great and as I said really help sell the scene. You should be pleased.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

That's looking really nice overall. Nice sense of depth, good composition, great mood. The birds work well. I feel like this is an establishing shot before we cut to our hero in meditation. From a technical standpoint this is outstanding work. 

Now... The two closest texture elements have lighting that doesn't match the background. The right forground rocks are lit from higher and farther to the left that your background mountains. It's not their noticeable, and I didn't catch it until my third viewing. The foreground hill on the left seems to be front-lit with no strong shadows. I noticed this immediately. A note for future work: really make certain lighting directions match when  compositing elements. The right side foreground rocks wouldn't really be noticeable, but the left side foreground hill is. 

In fairness I'll point out Hollywood movies occasionally don't get lighting matches. If a $200 million movie can make that error, I won't pick on a student too much, but it's something to keep in mind for next time. 

For this shot you could probably fix those forground hills by reopening its Photoshop cutout, adding another layer, drawing some rough shapes for the shadow areas, filling that with a color sampled from a shadow area of a background plate, setting it to a multiply blend, using the hill layer as a Displacement Source (to wrap the shadow layer a bit to the existing texture) and adjusting opacity to about 35%.

Overall, good work. You should get an A if your teacher isn't a lighting snob, a B or B+ if your teacher is a lighting snob. 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment