[ANSWERED] Tutorial using 360 video media

Hitfilm is simply amazing. I also like the fact that there is many great tutorials covering many topics.  I have watch a few showing how you can combine 2d and 3D layers and I found them really interesting.  

The only tutorial I can't seem to find anywhere if working with real 360 video footage. In a 360 video environment the viewer can see all around when turning is head and this approach is quite different from 2d and 3d.

I am experimenting now and I was able to add fx to my 360 video footage but if I understand the workflow the effect is just add as a layer in front of the 360 video. Is this the way to do it? 

I am not sure if Hitfilm is ready for VR yet but I would be mostly interested in a tutorial about this.

Thank you.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

https://youtu.be/Yqhl0mRuTng

Same effect under its original name. 

• Thanks for the link but I watched the whole video (44 minutes)  and and I did not see any mention of 360video.  This  video has nothing to do with the subject of my thread but thanks anyway.

Ack, sorry, I wasn't paying attention and posted the wrong video. I wonder if the user who needed transcoding got this instead? 

https://youtu.be/esP4VxMyG3s

• Question if I may..how can the environment map viewer act like 6 cameras?

If I'm not mistaken doesn't the plate need to be equirectangular?

Does the 360 function of HF work like Skybox?

Confused

@GrayMotion single equirectangular image wrapped inside an infinite virtual sphere. No stitching tools, and, as far as I know, no other mapping types.

I'm not Skybox literate, but I see that includes some stitching tools and other map types. 

• Thank you

• "Ack, sorry, I wasn't paying attention and posted the wrong video. I wonder if the user who needed transcoding got this instead? "

Probably!     ;)

Thanks for this link Triem23.  This is a very nice tutorial. 

• Feel bad following up on an answered thread....

I just did a quick test with the 360 effect (environment map viewer) and Youtubes 360 meta data tool. Although I used a small image 2048-1024 (which blur the image badly when wrapped around the environment) I was able to look around the scene. I imagine if I could make comps in the 5120 range or higher the "space" would look much crisper.

I also imagine that if the entire scene was built in 3D you'd get a "decent" VR video

Side note: I've seen a mettle example where the author converted an earlier 2D render he did into a 360 video.

-out

• Thanks for the info Graymotion. 

The only thing that is bothering me  is I can see a clear line (stiching line problem) when using the 360 video viewer and the 360 transform.  I did many test and also tried with the 360 viewer only with the same results.  For example, to position a fire effect precisely I need the 360 viewer, but if I do, the  non stiched line appear on my previously perfect 360 video. If I turn off the 3d viewer to render , my fire is moving to a different position.   

Sign in to comment