Comments

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

For the love of Beer, that's awesome!

• Pretty cool stuff! The beer....I mean....the video.

• @BobDiMarzio  Very nice VFX reel.  The Dutchman coming out of the water really torqued up my desire to do the Seaview coming up.  Started learning fluid sim to create an Ocean.  Will take me a while...

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@tddavis not Skydiver One? ;-) 

• @Triem23  I went back and rewatched trying to find the Skydiver One reference?? I'm lost.

@tddavis Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's UFO. 

There's a few glimpses of Skydiver in the opening titles. 

https://youtu.be/8CvURidpkCY

Good show. Been rewatching it on Hulu. Actually very ahead of its time. 

• @Triem23

Oh, I totally missed that in this video.  I do remember the show from a small local station that played syndicated stuff but sadly they were belly up before Space 1999 came around and I never got to see that one.  Been so long I didn't recall the names of craft until I saw this promo...ah, good times.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@tddavis and @Triem3 Trivia note - The SHADO moonbase episodes were the most popular so it was decided the second series would jump 20 years ahead with SHADO fighting from an expanded moonbase and it was going to be called UFO: 1999. That all fell through but the idea went on to become Space: 1999

@Aladdin4d I was aware (and of course UFO already had episodes about Straker getting funding to expand Moonbase, so that was properly set up). I'm also pretty sure UFO's SID interiors became part of the Moonbase Alpha sets. 

I enjoy both shows, but I do prefer UFO. Would have been interesting to see a second season centered around Moonbase. Just lose the purple wigs. Not flattering on Gabrielle Drake at all... Dolores Mantez could carry it off. 

Rewatching UFO it strikes me how surprisingly well the stories hold up. Most of those stories could be reshot today will very few changes to make it work. Just change the occasional 1960's "screaming/useless" female scenes and stop having Col. Foster pick up on every third female guest star, and the rest mostly works. Ok, no smoking in the bases. Especially Moonbase and Skydiver. 

I'll probably add Space: 1999 to the rewatch list, but I'm shifting between UFO and Babylon 5.

If anyone were to watch UFO I note the show is surprisingly bleak and dark--especially for 1969. There aren't many episodes that end in clear victory for the heroes. 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

In the future teletype machines will be replaced by Apple's IType.  And 2 inch helical scan quad tape machines will just  . . . . look  . . . well, busy . . . doing computing things.

@Triem23 ; Holy crap batman! I had never seen or heard of that show,  But you can tell by the shapely babes, that this was about pure science. =)

@Stargazer54 a little sex appeal never hurts (note commercials for "Passengers" made certain to show off Jennifer Lawrence in the swimsuit, and "Gravity" made sure we knew Sandra Bullock had short shorts...), but, yeah, the science is solid for the time. Example: that green skinned guy has green skin because UFO pilots are breathing a liquid medium. The high density fluid cushions the pilot against acceleration pressure (but stains the skin). Ed Harris gets to breathe liquid in "The Abyss," to protect his body from outside pressure. 

The practical effect of Ed's helmet filling is the same as developed for UFO. 

To be on topic--great ad! I mean Heineken is no Guinness, but great ad! 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment