Blog Post: HitFilm Pro 2017 Update #4

The most recent update for HitFilm Pro 2017 adds several new features, as well as a list of improvements and fixes. Read more...

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

By all the holy and unholy creatures of above and below, freaking VFR support alone is a major, major gamechanger, and I'm just going to assume this will be in Express. 

Ben Kenobi would grin at the sounds of millions of cries of anguished suddenly silenced--to be replaced by raging cheers. 

Nice tweaks on the Expot Queue and panels, and I can't wait to play with "Dynamic Reflections." if this does what I think it does, you've really upped some motion graphics and compositing options here... 

Seriously, guys, this is a fantastic update with some welcome workflow enhancements and a couple of real killers. In a year over half your users won't even know this VFR thing was ever an issue. Drinks on me! 

• edited April 26

@OliThompson  A lot of nice updates there, and while it doesn't affect me I am super excited about the VFR update.  It will tremendously cut down on the requests for help the Pros get that 9 times out of ten is a VFR issue and uncomplicate that whole transcoding thing! Kudos all around.

@OliThompson if this carries over to Express, you guys made Essential Hiftilm 07 (Optimizing Media) almost entirely obsolete, except for the section about using Audacity to extract extra audio tracks. I have no problem with that at all! 

• Wow! This is a really huge update. I had no idea you guys were working on fixing the Audio / Visual Sync Issues in Hitfilm, This is great! I am definitely blocking time out of my day today to see how well this is really going to work.

• "Shortcuts for controlling the playhead (Previous frame, Next frame, Start playback.. etc) now work in every Panel."

I am very glad to hear that.

• Nice big list of fixes, well done team. I agree with Mike about the Express need for VFR fix, as I am sure you will be, this will really make it so much easyier for people to get their stuff done.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

VFR support?!?!? That alone is going to shake things up quite a bit. Great job!

• Thanks for all the comments guys! We're super excited about this update and it's great to see that you are too! Be sure to let us know what you think of the new features and fixes once you've had a chance to test things out :)

• Keep up the amazing work. :D

• I have tested the VFR issue with the original un-transcoded footage that I used to create my "How to Easily Fix Audio/Visual Synch Problems in your Video!" It works perfectly!  It is amazing!

I guess there is no reason for anyone who uses Hitfilm Pro 2017 to ever watch that video again! Wow!

https://youtu.be/S9sDp8SBWbE

• Does the new VFR feature require any more resources, like a RAM buffer, to build up frames, or more CPU or GPU to combine partial frames into whole ones or anything else that would make Editing slower in any way?

I.e. can anything be turned off to stop it doing unnecessary work on video that is already CFR?

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator

Full reflections and proper panel resizing are both HUGE. Nice one, guys.

• @Palacono I would bet the VFR overhead only happens with VFR footage. The VFR conformance should be >= the CFR to CFR conformance. Hitfilm timeline frame rate conformance is only drop/duplicate frame. aka. Simple. In Vegas terminology, "disable resample".

I can't see that if your timeline and media are already the same FR that this VFR thing adds any overhead. That would be silly and FxHome are not silly.

I would assume the CFR to CFR reample overhead is as it always has been. CFR to CFR reample compute should not be much overhead. I would bet this is as it was. That Hitfilm now has three conditions. The previous match and CFR->CFR and now we have added a VFR->CFR case to the conformance code.

There two ways, that I see, to do what Hitfilm is doing. Everything on the fly, frame by frame. This is very likely extra compute overhead over CFR->CFR, but different memory impact than CFR-CFR, The extra conform compute overhead may cause timeline lag depending on CPU performance level.

The other way is to pre-scan the media, no full frame decode but just scan frame timings, and then build a lookup table of what frame in the source media should be displayed at a given timeline frame. Again, without frame blending or other resample algos this simple algo can work. The memory impact should be minimal. Just an integer frame number per timeline frame. A 32-bit integer allows for 4 billion frame media/timeline. This is also virtually no runtime overhead since a pre-scan is done. The trick here is where to stuff the pre-scan.

Observation: native VFR encode is awesome, and will eliminate a lot of redundant forum traffic, but phone and screencap footage still tends towards slow decode. CFR transcodes (even to "Norman AVC") will still be a common occurrence for power users just for general performance enhancements. Still, having VFR/CFR transcodes becoming optional instead of mandatory is very welcome. 

Once back from our road trip I do look forward to playing with dynamic reflections. 

• Agreed. In Hitfilm there will still be needs for a transcode, to something low(er)overhead, for basic timeline performance without lag/stutter. Depending on CPU performance.

AVC is the common culprit here, which is unfortunate since AVC is the common camera output these days. They could encode to lower overhead AVC but everyone seems to go for higher overhead variants to fit the most time in video on our flash cards.

When Hitfilm catches up to Vegas/Premiere/FCP then the timeline issue will really disappear for everyone except those with minimal machines.

• The other way is to pre-scan the media, no full frame decode but just scan frame timings, and then build a lookup table of what frame in the source media should be displayed at a given timeline frame. Again, without frame blending or other resample algos this simple algo can work. The memory impact should be minimal. Just an integer frame number per timeline frame. A 32-bit integer allows for 4 billion frame media/timeline. This is also virtually no runtime overhead since a pre-scan is done. The trick here is where to stuff the pre-scan. - @NormanPCN

Sounds about right :)

Glad you guys are liking the update, thanks for all your kind messages!

• Wow, Awesome!!!

• When is the next version of Hitfilm is getting released? please let us know :)

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment