Idea: Better Values

Recently, I've been working on trying to create custom lens flare presets in HitFilm, and I came across something really interesting that After Effects has: the ability to use parenting and commands to control values.

The way this works is that the user is able to parent one value to another - not to mention with commands, allowing them to use math to change them live - and that allows for a lot of things. In this case, it's lens flares. Another program that I've used for a while (not VFX) is Scratch, and at one point I decided to try programming lens flares. The way I did this was by setting a specific flare "center" or "origin" variable, and the different elements would react to that position. For example, I may have the main "glow", then a flare element towards the other side of the screen by setting it to "[ { (0) - (Flare Point Variable) / 2 } ]" and that element would stay towards the other side of the screen.

This is an amazing feature included in After Effects, and I think that it would open up incredible opportunities if added into a compositing software as powerful and expansive as HitFilm. As an active user of the program, I find many places in which a simple feature like this could do wonders for HitFilm.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

In Ae think ability is via expressions, and it's a much requested Wishlist item. :) 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment