Can't import .mov files

13»

Comments

• Hi. Yes, I have had similar problems in the past. However, you can download software that will convert your .MOV to .MP4 . This fixed the issue.

• I have installed quicktime and it still won't work. The video plays fine as long as you don't want sound

• I have  somewhat of a unique problem. I tried to import 2 .mov files to hitfilm 4 express. They were taken from the same camera, and they only significant difference is that one video is 29 seconds long, and it successfully imported into hitfilm. However, the second file is 1 minutes 9 seconds long, and failed to import. I put the second file into multiple empty folders in my computer, but when I tried to go to those folders to import the file, it said that the folder was completely empty. Can someone help? My theory is that Hitfilm doesn't accept an iphone 6 plus camera video longer than 1 minute.

• diff formats are a big problem  made my film in Quicktime 185 GB  Brought a Samsung dvd supports Quicktime , but oh ! no it doesn't,still talking to Samsung about that, miss selling  a dvd player. I think  so to show my movie at the cinema two options, DCP CONVERSION £700, or reduce it to 7GB AVCHD , my point! making movies etc is still  very hard, so many problems  ,best thing is to use AVS converter for most problems  compatibility is always the biggest issue

• edited August 2017

Same problem here, can't import the vast majority of mov files I've been working with for years.   I'm using Hitfilm4 Express on a 2011 iMac, running OSX Yosemite.

I'm definitely not a video expert, but have been testing all the video editors I can find, and have yet to find one that can't import any mov file I throw at it.  Thus, it's disappointing to discover that an app as powerful as Hitfilm can't handle such a basic task, and that this problem has  been unresolved for years.

Here's a solution.  Stop asking users what codec is involved and various other questions which most users will have no idea how to answer.   Asking users to solve this problem is barking up the wrong tree.  Forget all this business about "you need to do this, you need to do that".

Instead, tell your coding staff, the people you pay to solve such problems, that if Hitfilm is to serve the Mac community, then they need to figure out what all the other video editor coders know that they don't.  

It would have been reasonable and very understandable if the decision had been made not to release a Mac version of Hitfilm.  Obviously, very many developers make this choice for some very good reasons. 

But if you're going to release a Mac version, you need to be able to import any and all mov files, without exception, and without excuses, like every other Mac video editor.  You can't just let such problems drag on and on for years, as this thread seems to suggest is the case now.

Honestly, this is probably a deal killer for me.  If there is some box I can check in Hitfilm to solve this problem, ok, no problem, I'm eager to learn about that.  Otherwise, with great regret, I'm going to have to file Hitfilm in the "not ready for prime time" category.  At least for now.

All the technical details in this thread seem to miss the point completely.

If you can't reliably import .mov files, you don't have a Mac app. 

It's that simple.

• @PhilTanny ;

"you need to be able to import any and all mov files, without exception, and without excuses, like every other Mac video editor. "

Sadly there will always be times when Mac apps, not just HitFilm, can't import MOV's reliably. Recently another user had a problem with some stock footage. The clips were MOV files that would import on Windows but not on a Mac because they were encoded in a way that's never been supported by the Mac OS.

Other problems can arise due to licensing issues. Many apps will take an open source route (usually the free stuff) for decoding videos hoping to skip around that little problem but technically that isn't a legal solution. HitFilm removes the ability to import certain types of content, AVCHD, AC3 and MPEG-2, from Express. If you need to import any of that kind content with Express you can purchase the Premium Formats Pack which covers the license fees for those formats. 

Last but not least, saying "I can't import my MOV!" doesn't really mean much by itself. An MOV file doesn't have magical properties granting it the ability to work anywhere anytime. It's what's known as a video container format. You can think of it like a compartmented food container. You know it should hold food, maybe even an entire meal, but you never going to know the exactly what's in there until you open it. The entree? That's the video stream. What is the entree and how was it prepared? That's the video codec. A side dish? What it is and how it was prepared is the audio codec. Dessert? That's going to be extra things like chapters and subtitles. Now, how many different entrees can you think of? However many you can possibly think of is about how many different video codecs there are in the world. The same goes for side dishes and audio codecs.

Apple makes sure a small subset codecs are "officially supported" but the system has always been open for 3rd party chefs to put whatever entree or side dish they want in the container. Apple doesn't have any control over 3rd party codecs. Some apps will support the more popular 3rd party codecs out of the box but doing so usually requires a license agreement with the 3rd party developer. Other times nothing is going to support the codec out of the box and it's up to you the user to figure out what the codec is, hunt it down and get it installed. Here's some examples of 3rd party codecs you probably have to take care of yourself regardless of the app:

And many, many more. People ask about the codec because that's information we need to know in order to help the person with a problem. Nobody can tell if there's a problem with the software until they know exactly what you're trying to do. If you don't want to have to deal with it on your own you could always contact support and hopefully provide them with a sample file. If it turns out there is a problem with HitFilm, that's the way get it fixed. 

• @PhilTanny could you please install MediaInfo and copy the plain text info of the media? This would tell us a lot about your video that can't be imported (and potentially we will know what we should add support of). Importing mov videos on Mac works for most people.

• No offense guys, I really mean no disrespect.   But when every other Mac video app (at least that I've ever tested or read about) accepts all mov files without complaint, and Hitfilm doesn't, for years...

The problem is not with the user or the file. 

Imho, the process of waiting for a user to complain and then putting the burden on that user to do something to solve "their problem" has not proven to be an effective remedy.   This thread is almost 4 years old, right?  It doesn't instill confidence that you still need users help to resolve this.

To be clear, Hitfilm Express is free, so you don't owe anybody anything.  I totally agree with that.   Given everything you've put on the table, I feel kinda weird even bringing any of this up.  The fact that I feel compelled to do so is a big bug in my personality.  :-(

My argument is only that, if you want to be Mac developer, it would appear to be in your interest to figure out what all the other Mac video developers seem to know that you don't.  

Sorry, apologies, but it's not my rule. 

You can't be a Mac app if you can't import mov files. 

That's just the way it is.

• Ok, here you go, this is the info from the MediaInfo app.  Hope it helps!

-----------------------

Format : QuickTime
    Format/Info : Original Apple specifications
    File size : 985 KiB
    Duration : 875ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 9 223 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2017-08-12 19:58:28
    Tagged date : UTC 2017-08-12 19:59:27
    Writing library : Apple QuickTime 7.7.3
    Video
    ID : 1
    Format : JPEG
    Codec ID : mjpa
    Duration : 875ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 9 203 Kbps
    Width : 543 pixels
    Height : 824 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 0.659
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 24.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan type, store method : Separated fields (2 fields per block)
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.857
    Stream size : 983 KiB (100%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2017-08-12 19:58:28
    Tagged date : UTC 2017-08-12 19:59:27

• @PhilTanny HitFilm should (but maybe not, please see my comments on the resolution below) be importing that clip. Unlike the thread I linked to earlier about Motion JPEG2k, your clips are just Motion JPEG. Apple, through QuickTime has supported Motion JPEG since the mid 90's. You should contact support for help resolving the import problem if you haven't already. There are two other things that should be pointed out about that clip. One is that it's interlaced and HitFilm does not have an interlaced project mode, everything is progressive. You'll have to either deinterlace and transcode in another app first or add the Deinterlace effect to every interlaced clip.

The other thing has to do with the resolution and aspect ratio. The resolution is being reported as 543 x 824. Resolutions with an odd number of pixels are just never a good thing regardless of the application or OS being used. Most codecs will reject an odd number of pixels because the compression algorithm(s) require an even resolution. Some codecs go even further requiring the X and Y resolutions to be evenly divisible 4, 8 or even 16 before they'll encode a video. Luckily for you, Motion JPEG happens to be one the very few codec options that does accept an odd number of pixels. This shouldn't be affecting HitFilm but it might be. Related to the resolution is the aspect ratio. This resolution doesn't really match any standard aspect ratio. It's close to 2:3 but not quite so you might have to set some things to get it to look right in HitFilm.

Now, I'm pretty certain you're making two incorrect assumptions about this thread. The first is you seem to be assuming every user reporting a problem in this thread was using a Mac. The second is it's always the same problem and it's never been fixed. Neither one is true. Going quickly through this thread it looks like 29 or so users reported a problem in it. Only five of those users, including you, are known to be Mac users. Some, another 4 to 6, didn't state the OS being used. The rest are all Windows users and the vast majority of them simply didn't have QuickTime installed.

Going back to the Mac users, 3 of them reported a problem with an MOV file using the Apple Intermediate Codec and a resolution of 960 x 540. I wasn't around when this thread was first started but Triem23 was on the right track when he suspected the resolution was part of the problem. The Apple Intermediate Codec was designed for HDV resolutions and frame rates. Non-HDV resolutions and frame rates were never supported by this codec so anything that doesn't have an HDV resolution and frame rate is a non-compliant, out of spec file. HitFilm is far from the only app to have problems with kind of thing. Apple's very own Final Cut Pro had problems with it forcing users to fix the file before it could be used. On top of that, Apple halfway killed its own codec with the release of Yosemite. Since then QuickLook won't work with Apple Intermediate Codec MOV's and QuickTime X forces Apple Intermediate Codec files, a lossless format, to be transcoded to lossy H.264 MP4 files with AAC audio before the user can view them. I say halfway killed the codec because while QuickTime X was forcing users to transcode their files. iMovie was still pumping out Apple Intermediate Codec MOV's the OS and other Apple apps wouldn't recognize. Don't believe me? You can read about some user experiences in this thread in the Apple Communities

Why does the new Quicktime NOT play my old MOV files?

So...my apologies but there is no rule that says a Mac app has to import MOV files. That's just reality.

• Well, ok, but, um...

I've been playing around with video in dozens of Mac apps for twenty years now, and can't remember a single instance of any of those apps failing to import a mov file.

Just an anecdotal report from a single user, so make of it what you will.

• i've been having this problem as well, except i got my .mov recording from screen recording using quicktime 

• What works for me is converting the rejected movs to MP4 using MPEGStreamclip (free but old) (Mac and Windows).

http://www.squared5.com/

Since posting above I also came across a media browser that wouldn't import the same movs that Hitfilm rejects.  I contacted the programmer of that app, but he had no idea why the files were being rejected by his software. 

Problem was solved by moving to another media browser with the same features which accepts every single mov file without complaint.

No idea what's going on here, but converting to MP4 does seem to fix it.

• I just renamed myvideo.mov to myvideo.mp4. Always works:-)

Sign in to comment