[Discussion] Been using Hitfilm for ~1 year and only now discovered THIS!

After using a template from InscapeDigital, I discovered for the first time that there are "smooth keyframing points" that allow for smooth transitions...

Wow.  I have been doing these by hand, frame by frame, the whole time xD I feel stupid, but I admittedly rarely ever watch a tutorial and kind of prefer the learning-by-doing method.

Still, I think that's hilarious xD

What was your biggest "Aha" moment so far? :D

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Biggest, not certain. Three that stand out are using Grade Layers as Light Wrap sources (Simon Jone), using a Grade Layer as a matte source (Josh Davies) and using a simple plane with Set Matte as a hard edge wipe source (Inscape Digital) 

Oddly enough Inscape Digital did a keyframes tutorial a month or so ago and I released mine this morning. 

My tutorials are long, but they might be right for you. I'm focusing more on basic controls and concepts with background to set users up to go exploring. Not "how to do specific thing."

• @Triem23 Thanks for the reply. I might look into it. Remember, I like to explore myself, that's just the way I learn and been doing so my whole life. It sticks better if I discover it myself, you know.

That said, I will probably have a look later, simply because it can't hurt to know more about basic controls.

Thanks for your time!

But a tutorial is a basis to explore, too. It can become "how can I improve this?" or "how can I do this a different way?" or even "I can use this to do these other things!" 

I'm very into exploring myself, but its often helpful to see someone else's ideas. 

• @Triem23 Ooh, Grade layer for Light Wrap, that's a good one!

• @CaptainWARLORD  My aha moments are far too numerous to narrow it down to just one.   Seems like I have one pretty much every time I read the forum...

• @tddavis I'm rarely on here because I use HitFilm only for my private YouTube projects, but whenever I do, 9 out of 10 times I learn something new :D

I love that.

• @CaptainWARLORD ; My latest Aha! moment was after chiding @Triem23 about his long tutorials and that he should have interactive links to jump to sections. I found he had already done that on his HitFilm Univ. YouTube channel.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoxIFCFVZMs0-JSrrZREZdQ

When you click on a tutorial, make sure you also click "Show More" under the description.  There you'll find interactive links to jump the parts you want to see again or want more info about. 

I highly recommend all of them.  I understand about wanting to discover on your own, but watching tutorials is how I learned the software (still learning).

• @inScapeDigital Do you have an example of that? I can't imagine what you mean by Light Wrap.

edited April 2017

CaptainWARLORD this tutorial shows off Light Wrap (among other things) 

https://youtu.be/g2K9ihAoy-o

If you're in Express, I think Light Wrap is something you have to buy in an add-on. 

• @CaptainWARLORD Light Wrap is an effect, and it uses another layer in the timeline to work. It's mostly used for green screen, to "bleed" the background image onto the edges of the chroma keyed layer, to blend them together.

If you have a composited image as a background, that means you have several layers that make it up. Light Wrap only works with one layer. What Triem/Simon is suggesting is create a Grade layer, which effectively "bakes" all of the layers underneath into one, and the Grade can then be used as the Light Wrap layer.

• @Triem23 @inScapeDigital Holy crap! :D Mind blown! Thank you, guys! :D

This is what I meant by "9 times out of 10 I learn something new". Amazing. Thanks a lot :D

• Probably my biggest "Aha Moment" was very early on in my learning curve when it dawned on me that if something wasn't working the way it was suppose to, usually the easiest and most reliable solution was to simply make it into an embedded composite shot. That almost always fixed it so that whatever wasn't working all of the sudden started working! Haha... and that still works today! :)

• Yep very powerful feature that can help with speed, and organisation.

• "What Triem/Simon is suggesting is create a Grade layer, which effectively "bakes" all of the layers underneath into one, and the Grade can then be used as the Light Wrap layer."

Clever! And that makes the Light Wrap effect act more like it would in a nodal compositor like Nuke or MambaFX or Fusion, which also has some other useful side effects, like if you tweak the color of your background with a LUT or something, it gets reflected in the final comp automatically, and you don't have to remember to reassign it in the light wrap effect. One of those small things that adds up, a bit like the alt-drag from the trimmer bit. Seems inconsequential... until you end up using 37 times in a single edit. :)

By the way, I'm not suggesting a Grade "Bakes in" effects, I'm saying the "Raw State" of a Grade Layer is a PRERENDER off all lower layers, which is (conceptually) about the same as baking in, but a bit more powerful. 

Besides the Light Wrap I've seen Josh Davies use that to isolate a layer to use as a Set Matte. Sandwiching elements near the bottom of the layer stack can let grade layers do all kinda of things one would usually do in an embedded composite shot, which can make a huge organizational/workflow  difference! 

I think the nature of a Grade is my biggest ongoing "Aha!" moment. I've SAID Grades are prerenders since Hitfilm 2 Ultimate, but other users keep showing me new implications of that I'd not considered. It's taken me over four years to understand my own tip! 

• That's why I'm now thinking of the Grade layer as a node in a nodal flow; it's very similar, except for the interface. :)

@WhiteCranePhoto if I were more familiar with node-based software I might make a similar mental shift. :) 

• It would be nice if grade layers could have composite children. A hierarchy (child sublist). If you know Vegas then think that way.

The nice/flexible thing about grade layers is that they affect everything below. The bad/inflexible thing about grade layers is that they affect everything below.

Both depending on circumstance. We can't have a grade only affect A,B but not C.

Of course nested comps can work around this. This can be fiddly bopping back and forth between various comps but worse is that we cannot share a point/whatever across comps.

• Oh, so new requirement :) an Ungrade Layer, which stops the influence of a Grade Layer above it having any further effect on layers below the Ungrade Layer. 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment