Embedding a comp in a comp

How to you drag a composite shot into another composite shot? I have attempted to drag the composite from the media panel to another composite shot in the timeline, but the composite dragged from the media panel appears to be devoid of layers and effects.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Let me make certain I'm following you. You've created a composite shot that has layers and effects already set up, and, when you drag it into an empty comp, or a comp with other layers you're not seeing your embedded comp?

You should see it, collapsed a as single 2D layer with no effects on it - effectively it should be treated as a video clip.

If the embedded composite shot is coming in blank, is it's layer on? (Double-check the eye icon.).

I mean it's supposed to work, and I've been wading in embedded comps all morning!

• Yes, I am actually working through your water effects tutorial. (smile)

I created a Height Map comp with a plane layer and fractal effect. I then attempted to drag it into the Water Surface comp from the media panel. The Height Map comp is there, but the layer and its fractal effect are not. Also, in the water surface layer, in the height map settings for caustics, I twirled that open and selected the height map composite in the Layer menu. But I did not see any watery surface change in the viewer.

• Once a comp is embedded, it acts like a layer, you won't see the details (plane and fractal noise in yr case). If you need to modify the parameters, do it in the original comp. The result should reflect immediately in the final comp.

Maybe turn up the wave height parameter?

Just out of curiousity, what are your systems specs? CPU GPU OS RAM and Storage? Have you previously worked in Hitfilm and had embedded comps working?

• I thought so too, Joet7373. Something seems amiss...

Mike, I've played with the wave height parameter (and all the caustic  properties), just to see if I get some response- ANY response, to no avail. "Eye" icons are all open too. I've even played with the layer stack. arrangement. 

I am using a MacBook Pro (2011), OS X Yosemite, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, AMD Raedeon HD 6750M 512MB. ...Also using HitFilm Pro 2017 demo. ...This is the first time I am working with embedded comps, as I am new to the software.

• Ok, I decided to scrap the test and start completely over (closed the application and all) and it appears to be working now. I'm not sure what was wrong, but I'm willing to attribute it to human error. (smile)

Thank you all for your time and efforts!

• https://youtu.be/nF85XseM0jc

FYI: Here is a copy of what I was trying to do, and finally did.

• @Anthony2016  Nice!  Really liked the reflection of the bridge piers you got going on.

• Thumbs up!

•  Thank you. Tweaking the environment map and transform properties of the caustic effect that was applied to the water surface definitely took the most effort; the reflection of the bridge piers is my favorite part.

Adjusting the environment map is always the hardest part of a Caustics setup. After that, everything else is just fun! 

This shot came out really well. 

Sign in to comment