[Resolved] How do I do this in HitFilm please?

Can someone please let me know if it's possible to do this in HitFilm 4 Express...starting at 1:11 and finishing at 1:31secs, the photos turning around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSFSzQslkFU

Comments

• I single stepped through the relevant section and it looks like it is just rotating the media plane in 3D space and applying a blur during the rotate. Therefore since you need to position in 3D, the media must be in a composite shot, the media be marked as a 3D plane and then just get busy doing what you need to do (keyframing the movement and blur).

• edited March 25

Thank you @NormanPCN ;;)

I created a composite shot, and then added a photo into it, made it 3D and animated 360 degress.  But I have 50 photos, this will be time consuming to do each one?  No auto way or fast way to do this with 50 photos?

• Hmm think u set the default time for a picture media, set this real low then drag all 50 to a new single composit then make a another new composite and drag the first into this, to make a nested comp. Note u have this u can make this new one 3d and set up a repeating rotation for the length of the comp. You would have you play with timings but that should work.

• Ps u best the comp so u don't have to rotate each layer of the images but rather the new comp that is treated as a single layer.

• edited March 30

Sounds great @Andy001z lol

Hopefully someone in the future will create a tutorial for doing this in HitFilm. 

• @Yeremyah not difficult. Here is one way to do this, similar to what Andy001z suggested. 

Set the default image duration to 1 second. (this is longer then you need them so you can speed them up later)

Select all your images in the media panel and drag them onto the editor timeline. Export the timeline (I used an image sequence).

Import the image sequence, make it a composite shot. 

Make the layer 3D. (call it front) 

Create a new point layer (call it rotation point) make it 3D.

Parent front to rotation point.

Duplicate front (call it back). Set y-rotation to 180 degrees

set front to position 0,0,1, set back to position 0,0,-1

set keyframes for rotation point's y-rotation

go to the last frame and set the number of rotations to n/2, where n is the number of images (so for 50 images you should set 25 rotations, which will give you 9000 degrees)

If you scrub the timeline the images will now rotate, but will change at the wrong time. To fix that, you will need to move the point layer along the timeline. The number of frames you need to offset by will be = the image duration that you set at the start * your frame rate / 2. (So if you set the image duration to 1 second, and have frame rate of 30 frames per second, then you need to offset by 1*30/2=15 frames)

You should now have a slow version of the effect that you want.

Add your comp to your timeline and use the rate stretch tool to get it to the speed you want.

• Yep what he said... :)

• edited March 28

Thank you @JMcAllister for all that time you invested into writing that.

I am a visual person, hence I love all the HitFilm tutorials on youtube, so if you ever make a video tutorial how to do this, please let me know, thank you :)

• @JMcAllister That is a really good idea! That would be quick and easy to do for sure.

• edited March 28

@HitfilmSensei seeing you understand his steps, would you be so gracious to help me out and create a short video tutorial, please?

A visual video tutorial would be really helpful, not only for me, but for everyone else into the future.

• @Yeremyah You might prefer visual aids, but reading the manual is at least a place to start, and reading is pretty visual. :)

First entry that comes up when you search for 'image duration':

http://hitfilm.com/reference-manuals/hitfilm-4-express#options.htm?zoom_highlightsub=image+duration

• edited March 28

@Palacono many people are comfortable with text only tutorials and get a good grasp of them to follow.

However, some people really struggle to read something and understand it because they lack the foundational initial understanding to know what is referenced in the text tutorial.  

• @Yeremyah While that may or may not be true, the link showed the thing you were asking about and it's explained very clearly.

Where do you next get stuck? Steps 2-9 are definitely things you've done before, so the next step is the maths, which is also explained clearly and giving you the values for the number of photos you required.

If you get stuck come back and explain what you've tried, what happened when you tried it and I'm sure people will help get you back on track.

Maybe a video showing what's happening would help show where you're having a problem?

When you've done it, maybe you can make a tutorial video in a format that you - and other visual learners - find useful?

Or you could try https://www.fiverr.com/ ?

• What is fiverr.com?

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@HitfilmSensei Ummmm Try clicking the link to find out? ;)

It's a place to hire freelancers for a fiver.

• Cool. Never heard of it.

• @Yeremyah

"I am stuck at step 1, "Set the default image duration to 1 second." :P  No idea how to even do that :(  "

changing the default image duration is done in the options menu.

How to open the options menu is shown at around 4:11 in this HitFilm university tutorial by Triem23

You will see there is a setting named "Plane/Image Default Duration" and it is a number, measured in frames.

"...if you ever make a video tutorial how to do this..."

Sorry, but I don't intend to. I don't really have the time.

•  @HitfilmSensei

"That is a really good idea!"

Thanks, but I can't really take too much credit for it. The idea was suggested by @NormanPCN and @Andy001z. What I posted is literally just my (edited) notes from working through the process they suggested

• edited March 27

Or if you don't mind reading, but hate following links, then this is what it says when you click on the link to the relevant part of the manual I posted previously:

Options

HitFilm's setup can be changed from the Options window, which can be found in the File menu.

This section is called Preferences on Mac.

General

Maximum Undo: HitFilm tracks all of your actions, so that you can undo mistakes or go back if you change your mind. Logging more actions will require more memory. Find out more about using your action history.
    Plane/Image Default Duration: Unlike videos, planes and images do not have a specific duration. This setting determines their initial duration when you add them to a timeline.
    Composite Shot Default Duration: When creating a new composite shot this is used as the default duration, unless the composite shot is based on existing media.
    Timeline Default Duration: When starting a new project, this is used as the default duration for the editor timeline.
    Audio Waveforms: The editor timeline displays a waveform for audio clips. For information on the different waveform types, see Mixing audio.
    Default Antialiasing Mode: Antialiasing is used to create perceptibly higher quality edge detail. HitFilm supports multiple antialiasing types depending on the capabilities of your hardware.
    Display Motion Path: The motion path provides an indication of the movement of a layer across multiple keyframes. This setting adjusts the detail visible in the motion path.
    Include screen layout when saving projects: When activated, your interface layout is stored in the project file. The layout in a project file will override the default workspace layout.
    Use relative file paths in saved projects: Projects can include absolute or relative references to media file paths. When using relative paths, media is located relative to the project file itself. As long as the folder structure relative to the project file is maintained this makes it easy to transfer to a different computer or to use cloud storage.
    Close all media files when application is not active: Some of HitFilm's media libraries are able to 'lock' media files, preventing any changes to the source files while you are working in HitFilm. This option forces all media to be closed and unlocked when you switch to a different application, so that you make external changes to your media. Note that this may impact performance when switching back to HitFilm.
    Play audio when scrubbing timeline: HitFilm can play audio as you manually move the playhead around your timeline.
    Show help links: Question mark icons in the corner of panels provide quick access to relevant pages in the user guide. These can be turned off to save space if you wish.
  • edited March 28

Cheers.

• edited March 28

@JMcAllister You mean you have the time, but it's not a priority use of your time :)

• edited March 28

Thank you everyone for trying to help me, I really appreciate you ALL.

• @Yeremyah Don't give up. This is an easy one and well within your talent range.

To answer the Plane/Image Default Duration - Lets make this easy - Set your project to 24fps then set the Plane/Image Duration to 24. Then import your images to the timeline.   You will then have 50 images each 1 sec long or a 50 second clip in the timeline.

Then make a folder where you want to store the export. Then when you export there are 5 tabs, Youtube,MP4, OpenXR, IMAGE SEQUENCE, Avi. Pick Image Sequence and select the folder you made. Export

After that you should easily be able to follow the steps that @JMcAllister  laid out.

You got this man. I know you can do :-)

https://youtu.be/m49u4rOJKoo

Took less than 10 minutes.

• @GrayMotion : You are making a very dizzy woman here. And my cats are completely riveted, climbing up to bat at the monitor on every turn. You made their evening.

• edited March 28

Thank you @GrayMotion :)

P.S You should have recorded your screen when you did your one ;) 

• Parent the Layer called 'front' (step 4) to the Point called 'rotation' (step 5).

/2 means half. 1/2 = half. 3/4 = three quarters 7/8 = seven eighths etc.

But that doesn't matter because he already gave you the number 50/2 = 25 rotations.

And if you don't know how to make a layer into 3D, then this video might refresh your memory. Go to the point where you did it before at 3m40s. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhRomCUJxZA

• How do I now do that?  What does it mean "Parent front to rotation point?"

On your timeline, next to the 3D layer containing your image it's written none right? Twirl it down and select the new point you create the step before.

I have NO idea what /2 means and how to set that?

Means divided by 2. let's say you have 30 images, so your y rotation angle  is 30/2*360=15*360=5400 degree.

• edited March 28

Thank you @Joet7373 :)

• edited March 28

@Yeremyah You said it here a few posts back:

"Make the layer 3D. (call it front) <--- Lost here too"

So was it the renaming of the layer that you were stuck on?
    OK, here's a video for that.

Edit:
    If it's not clear: I'm pressing the Right Mouse Button to make the menu popup.

Edit2: You Edited your post above after I'd posted this. So you already knew? Or you knew because you watched the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ1BcjjINuA

• edited March 28

Cheers.

Sign in to comment