Spider-Man Fan Film (Zach Alan's Productions Page: Aug/31/2017)

I'm starting a page here for all of my tests, creations, etc. 

The first is my latest Doctor Who intro recreation of the 9th/10th Doctor intros. I did one previously which was my first ever Hitfilm project, but I wasn't completely happy with it, and still am not with this one either, but I think it is a lot better. Let me know what you think. (I most likely won't be making any changes though, as the project is kind of a mess...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdUZR-OqVYE

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

There are minor tweaks that could get this closer to the 9/10 titles, but this is the most successful recreation of these titles I've seen come out of Hitfilm. 

• Thanks @Triem23

Most of the other recreations in Hitfilm just use the exact same vortex as the Hitfilm tutorial. I used the same technique, but tried to make it more accurate.

What tweaks do you think would get it closer? I might not change anything for now, but what do you think?

• That's pretty close, maybe some tweaks to the blending of the tardis, looks a bit chilly at the moment.

ZCC, it's really subtle things to tweak now--If you look at the BBC version, a lot of the additional rings--particularly the red and orange--are tilted in regards to the tunnel wall. This could probably be done with some adjustment of X and Z rotation in the Movement settings, and requares the particles to not be billboarded.

Or, build a slit-scan rig, but that's a whole different animal.

• @Triem23 How would you go about making a slit-scan rig? I know the technique, but how would you get the texture looking right? I used Hitfilm's method because I found it easier to get the look I wanted. I would like to try more slit-scan style vortexes in the future...

• @Stargazer54 ;

Thanks for the response, but I already watched the videos and know how to do the effect. I was wondering if anyone knew a specific technique to use that method to get something closer to the 10th Doctor titles...

Thing about slit-scan is it's really hard to guide anyone to a specific look because the way everything interacts is complicated. 

Make a circle for your slit, make a horizontal bar for a texture and move the horizontal bar vertically from top to bottom. Adjust the speed of the bar and the speed/emission rate of your particles until you get the stretched-ring look. 

• Ok @Triem23 I will have to try that...

This technique could also be used to replicate the ending credits, where there isn't much of a vortex, just the rings, some streaks, and I think some sort of nebula in the background. 

From what I remember there are some sideways rings as well, that are on the side of the vortex wall. How would I alter the bar with circle slit technique to get a ring on the side of the tunnel?

One more thing, would you recommend using this with my previous vortex, just parent the emitter to the same point? Thanks!

So, modify previous instructions. Assuming the rectangle you're sweeping is a mask on a plane and you are directly animating the MASK with Path, then once you have your timing down, you can rotate its rings simply by rotating the bar's plane. Might be smarter to use multiple emitters and multiple copies of the bar with a different rotation of the bar for each emitter. 

Yeah, I think you could make a slit scan part of the same rig you already have. Should look really sexy. 

Side note: slit scan rigs let you do a really good Pertwee/Tom Baker title. 

https://youtu.be/GVoqCjk8uoA

• @Triem23 funny you mention the Baker titles, because quite awhile ago I had a different user name on the forums and asked you about how to do that. I had the tunnel looking almost right, but when I set the blend mode of the particles to normal instead of add, they disappeared, no matter what alpha setting or thing I changed... They still are incomplete... 

I did a tutorial/breakdown on those, but I had a crappy mic and actually recorded at a coffee shop, so I never published it. 

• edited March 27

@Triem23 you sent me the tutorial. I think it was supposed to be part of the Tony Cee series...

I did? Under this name or your old one? 

Yeah, that was gonna go with Tony's. Think Tony has a lot of new tutorials soon to be released on the Neon Visual site. 

• @Triem23 my old one. I've been looking forward to Tony's tutorials for a long time now 

• I generally figured out the ring thing @Triem23 , but will save it for later so I can work on some other projects...

I was thinking of trying to recreate the new intro from the 12th Doctor. I know how to do the beginning with the dust particles and gears, but how would I do the part right after with the spiral transition clock thing? I also have a general idea for the end with some atomic particles...

I'll just tag @NxVisualStudio since he's DONE a Capaldi type intro. I'm now certain how I'd approach a Droste effect in Hitfilm.

• I looked back at my slitscan project @Triem23

I managed to deal with the blend mode problem without the effect looking blown out. However, after about 3 seconds the animation stops and there is just straight streaks for a few seconds and then it goes back to normal again. Is there something wrong with the appearance > frame properties? I have the start frame keyframed from 0 - 900, then to 0 - 900 again, and so forth...

• @Triem23 Cheers buddy :)

@ZCC_Productions Hi mate.

The issue you are facing is the reversal effect by setting up frames 0-900-0-900, it's down to how many particles you're spawning per second, picture this, spawning 1 particle per frame would eliminate the issue but it would look pretty ugly with the lack of particles so what you would do is increase the number of particles a second to build the bigger picture, the stretch effect is down to the repeating of the same frame in the animation with added particles higher than the frame rate of the main comp i.e

Frames 3-2-1-0-1-2-3  @ 30 particles a second repeat backwards to what you have already seen being drawn on screen.

Up this to 60 particles a second and it looks like this  3-3-2-2-1-1-0-0-1-1-2-2-3-3, the particles have doubled creating duplicate particles of the same frame taken from the animation comp.

The movements speed can make it less noticeable as well.

You can do a full start frame 0-900 from start to finish on the timeline to be a seamless run throughout but this will need a heavy change in the animation comp, your procedural seed will need to be set to a ridiculous amount, the reason I taught it this way was because of dynamics, in the animation comp you can get a fairly good idea of how the emitter will produce the effect by looking at the pattern behaviour in the animation comp, it's moving with reasonable speed 'seed',
    By placing key frame 0 and 900 at around 3 seconds apart compacts the particle animation tighter together, it's efficient and manageable but not particularly the best way hence the 'Basic setup' in the title.

Back to seamless with the full timeline keyframe, I mention setting the seed on the procedural to a ridiculous number and that's because of the frame amount in the animation comp, things are animating too slow and many duplicates or near duplicates are being created from the emitter 33333333333333332222222222222 and so on, you can set the seed to over a few thousand in the animation comp but that leaves you with a huge issue.. now the animation comp has lost all dynamic control, advance just one frame in the animation comp and the procedural pattern is drastically different from frame 1 to frame 2, but for the effect you are trying to make '10s titles' that could work out perfect for what you want.

To bring back the dynamics you could increase the animation composites frame rate to around 90fps but it will eat and bog down system performance.

So that's 0-2700 on the start frame keyframe 0 to 30 seconds on default timeline within Hitfilm.

I hope this helps?       

Another way to handle the slit-scan issue is to set up a seamless texture for the slit scan--then you could go 0-900 and right back to zero, while also letting your textures loop. Of course setting up a seamless texture has its own issues, but those aren't too difficult.

Note for a "Tom Baker" title, Bernard Lodge's original Diamond and Circle tunnels are only about 5-10 seconds. They lap-dissolve to be "seamless."

• @NXVisualStudio @Triem23

Thanks for the responses. I generally see what you mean. However, I opened up a different slit-scan project and it didn't seem to have the problem...

It still has the problem where the blend mode can't be normal, even if the alpha is all the way up... Any ideas on what would cause this?

Also @NXVisualStudio , was the part of your Capaldi titles where the gears transition into the spiral clock thing done in Hitfilm or another software like 3ds Max?

• Here is a short test of my Tardis slit-scan based on the Baker titles...

I realize it needs to be way faster. Also, Hitfilm stopped responding after hours of exporting at only 45%, so I had to stop it early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkzK9xuTum0

• Here is a cool  looking time vortex I create using @NXVisualStudio 's technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxmb1XqDaWA

The camera movement seems to be a bit choppy, and I think I might reduce the amount that the tunnel turns, but anyway, what do you think?

• @ZCC_Productions

Looks pretty cool.  The twists and turns reminds me of Stargate tv show and Sliders I believe.  Not the colors but the shape and motion.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

nice

That's already looking really good. Once you refine it, it'll be fantastic. 

• Thanks everyone! 

• @ZCC_Productions Wow! Great work, that vortex shot is looking amazing!

@OliThompson If you haven't yet, you should check out the earlier parts of this thread where ZCC was working on his AT-AT...

ZCC hand-animated that sucker with a keyframe rig directly in Hitfilm. Given that Hitfilm doesn't have any kind of inverse kinetics, that makes it the single most impressive bit of hand-keyframed model animation I've seen in Hitfilm!

• Wow, thanks  @Triem23 and @OliThompson

In the new Hitfilm Q and A, you mentioned competitions for making tutorials... What do you think if a tutorial for rigging and animating an AT-AT in Hitfilm? 

Sign in to comment