Let's suppose I want to make a video where i am running really fast. How do I create an echo/blur effect coming from behind me?
I tried duplicating the video and changing the blend to add/screen, but the lights in the video just brighten up.
You can try with a composite shot and:
1. Greenscreen yourself running, and key layer
2. Duplicate your keyed footage, blur the bottom layer, change the position so it is "behind" the running you.
3. Add a background video, or animate a wide image to move side to side to simulate movement (activate motion blur).
If you don't use a greenscreen, you could try this:
1. Duplicate your footage
2. Blur the top layer, and set the blend mode to "normal", then reduce the oppacity
3. Draw a freehand mask in the top layer that covers the trayectory of the "echo"behind you, and keep few points near the "non-blurred" you.
4. Keyframe the path shape and move the points so the mask is animatted too.
Just a couple ideas, it seems that the official HitFilm Youtube channel is going to upload a tutorial on how to do the flash effect.
Take a look at the Echo effect in the Temporal group. How well this works will depend on if your camera is static or moving.
Otherwise, Emecorp has a good group of tips.
Sign in to comment