Hitfilm University (2k subs! , Updated Oct 31, 2017)

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Ok, both Hitfilm 4 and 2017 added useful features for you. 4, in particular, because that's when they added motion graph (Bezier keys) and auto-align. Without beziers, you can't really control your rigs finely enough, and auto align makes a lot of stuff easier. 

• The thing for me was the ability to add 3ds max things in and fbx formats

For 3D, Cook-Torrance and Alembic added in 4, FBX and depth maps/mattes/layers in 2017. Both seriously worth the upgrade. 

• @Triem23 When  is that tutorial coming out?

• I just watched the UI overview tutorial. Damn good job.

• edited February 10

If you put chapter markers in it, documented in the info below, people can skip to relevant sections a lot easier than using only timecodes for reference. 

Edit: Doh! You already did that.  I could edit my original post to not make me look stupid, but what's the point? :)

edited February 11

Aaaannnnnd.

https://youtu.be/pMGpxHBKq9E

CONTENTS
    00:00 - Introduction and overview
    01:38 - Import Audio, Video and Graphic/Photo Media
    05:40 - Import Image Sequences
    07:40 - Import 3D Camera Solves
    09:00 - Import Composite Shots
    10:20 - Import 3D Models
    11:00 - Import Alembic/FBX
    12:35 - HF 2-4 Export Screen Overview
    13:20 - HF 2-4 Export Common Controls
    14:40 - HF 2-4 Youtube Export Settings
    16:50 - HF 2-4 Mp4 Export Settings
    21:50 - HF 2-4 AVI Export Settings
    24:00 - HF 2-4 Quicktime Export Settings
    25:20 - HF 2-4 Image Sequence Export Settings
    27:15 - HF 3-4 Pro Open EXR Export Settings
    28:20 - HF 2017 Export Queue Overview
    31:05 - HF 2017 Managing Export Queue Presets
    32:25 - HF 2017 Mp4 Export Settings
    33:40 - HF 2017 AVI/Cineform Export Setting
    34:35 - HF 2017 Quicktime Export Settings
    35:00 - Export Effects Presets
    36:35 - Import Effects Presets
    37:05 - Exporting Composite Shots
    38:02 - Working With "Template Files"

• Very slight correction your (excellent) tutorial - export to Uncompressed QuickTime (see 34:47) is no longer available in HitFilm Pro 2017 for Mac.

edited February 11

@Danny77uk drat! Good thing YouTube allows annotations. I didn't think to ask Axel. 

@Palacono looks like to add "chapter marks" to YouTube one has to build an annotation for each one, then set the annotation to be a clickable link. For this week's video I won't bother, but, in future tutorials I'll do the whole "Today we're gonna discuss A, B, C, D..." and have the annotations come up during the intro sequence. 

Honestly, I added the "Chapter times" to the description for myself--inevitably I'll bee referring people to this tutorial, so I'll want to know which section.

• @Triem23  Is there a h.264 export  for QuickTime in hifilm 2017 export queue 

@Andersen01498 I believe so, but I'm not on Mac. Since Danny77uk didn't say there isn't, there should be, since I said there was. 

• @Triem23 I'm on pc,  its interesting because after effects support h.264 format export on pc's why not hitfilm

• @Andersen01498 To start QuickTime Win is dead and since HitFilm's QuickTime import ability still relies on QuickTime any export ability likely would as well. HitFilm, like everything else on Windows, seems to be moving away from relying on QuickTime at all. Second, there's not enough of a difference to shake a stick at. Export an MP4 and after it's done change the file extension to MOV and you're good to go. 

• @Anderson01498 Hitfilm used to call the MP4 export option, H.264. People asked about MP4 export and FxHome decided to rename it to MP4 since probably more ask about MP4 than H.264.

H.264 = AVC. Most times when you have an MP4 file is contains AVC video. On the NET MP4 and AVC/H.264 seem to be used interchangeably when talking about a video file. Even though not strictly correct that phrasing works fine most times.

As for MOV, you have to ask yourself why do you want MOV file when an MP4 is just as good. Hitfilm outputs AVC MP4 files. Technically MOV/MP4 are nearly identical.

edited February 11

@Andersen01498 also when discussing mp4 export in HF4E I did say, "previous versions of Hitfilm called this h.264 export."

I think the change was in HFP4, Update#2.

As another note," AVCHD" is just h.264/mp4 with a few extra metadata tags and audio optiond. Just enough tweaks for Sony and Panasonic to copyright it as a "new thing."

• @Triem23  @NormanPCN   H.264 is industry standard,  they use it for movie trailers for example...

• @Anderson01498 I think something might be getting lost in translation. HitFilm's MP4 export is H.264. The biggest single difference between a HitFIlm MP4 export and a QuickTime H.264 MOV is literally the file extension. 

MOV is the QuickTime container format. As a container format it can contain a wide variety of audio and video streams. MP4 is also a container format that is based on the MOV container format. Technically the exact chain is MOV which was used as the basis for the ISO Base Media File Format and MP4 is a registered extension of the ISO BMFF. The end result of that confusing mess is the MP4 container is 99.9% + identical to the MOV container. If you absolutely must have a QuickTime MOV all you need to do is change the extension from MP4 to MOV and you're done. 

•  @Aladdin4d You can have transparency in .MOV files. I've got several suites of motion graphic popping circles, spinning things etc. with transparent backgrounds. Can you have that in .MP4? If so: yes please. :)

@Palacono nope. Remember .MOV is a container that can hold multiple codecs. There are Quicktime codecs that support alpha channels, but the h.264 codec does not. 

• edited February 11

Ok, so the extension isn't quite the only difference. :(

In the past I have had performance in Hitfilm improve by renaming a .MOV file to .MP4, so it bypasses Quicktime, but I just tried it with one with Alpha to see what would happen and : File Error.

Not really surprising, but also not a performance solution.

@Palacono Um, yes and no. The only difference between Quicktime h.264 and mp4  h.264 is the file extension (and the fact that naming it ".MOV" means the QT engine does the decode).

Again, you're confusing the CONTAINER with the CODEC. For comparison, let us look at the humble .zip file. A .zip file is a container... The only thing .zip itself supports it the types of compression used to shrink it down. However, a .zip file can contain any file you want to stick in it, be it text, graphics, video, spreadsheet, 3D models, etc.

h.264 is a COmpressor DECompressor for digital video. It's varied Profiles and Levels support differing bit-depths, resolutions, frame rates and compression settings, but h.264 was designed as (basically) the file format to hold Blu-Ray video. (or digital TV broadcast). Camera manufacturers picked up on it as a way to cram video files onto small SD cards, but h.264 wasn't designed as a capture or editing format--it's designed to cram RGB video into a small space and look reasonably good.

h.264 just doesn't support alpha channels, no matter what. It's just not in the specs.

Quicktime containers can hold many different codecs, including uncompressed, "Animation," MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 (h.264), M-JPEG, h.264, Cinepack, Sorenson, Indeo, ClearVideo, ProRes and several others. But of all the codecs Quicktime supports, ONLY Uncompressed and Animation support alpha channels.

MP4 FILES are a container, similar to that of Quicktime, however, MP4 files ONLY support MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 video codecs.

• @Triem23 that was awesome! :)

@spydurhank thanks, man! And thanks again for the Alembic file. 

• @Triem23 Oh, I know there are different Codecs in there, I was just responding to Aladdin4d's assertion that: "The biggest single difference between a HitFIlm MP4 export and a QuickTime H.264 MOV is literally the file extension. " and wondered if any of the other things you can stuff into the .MP4 container could also include a codec that had an Alpha channel, but...no. OK. :)

Same (but totally different...) thing with .M4A audio files. Some players won't play them, but often just renaming those same files  to .MP3 and voila: no problem. ;)

• @Palacono To add to what Triem23 already said the differences aren't technical. From a technical standpoint they are virtually identical. The differences are in the specifications for what's allowed for a given Standard and licensing.

MP4 creation and usage is subject to MPEG-LA licensing and must follow the specifications in the  ISO/MPEG-4 standard.. 

MOV creation and usage is subject to Apple licensing and yes it does technically require a license from Apple. I have an old post around somewhere with a link to Apple documentation that says "call us if you want to use it in your app". As part of the deal in using MOV as the basis for the ISO BMFF Apple retained all rights for MOV as a separate container with its own specifications and abilities.

You could technically use any combination of codec(s) and abilities available for an MOV in an MP4 as they are pretty much technically identical containers however doing so is completely out of spec and possibly illegal.

Huh--sitting down tonight to work on script for the next tutorial, I've discovered I am "ahead of schedule." In my master "curriculum" list I had "Import/Export Media" and "Working with Presets" as two different tutorials, with "Presets" scheduled for the tutorial after this week.

Looks like my last tutorial was, technically, a "double." Nice!

• Excellent news, always nice to be ahead. I had flu last week so bit behind on everything. Keep them coming so far very worth while endeavours. 

Top tip for HP2027 export was that export a layer or comp to them speed up the main comp/workflow. Nice feature.

@Andy001z And that's brand new in Update #2!

Sign in to comment