3D models can not be used in Express

edited January 2017 in Express Support

I'm trying to follow the tutorials for the Stormtrooper army (From Rebellion) and the Star Wars space scene tutorial. But everytime I try to import in Hitfilm 4 Express, it doesn't show up under All Supported Media. I'd like to know any  solution that doesn't require any external plugins. I use Dell Inspiron i5, with Windows 10. Graphics card is Intel 500.

Comments

• HitFilm 4 Express doesn't support 3D models.

• Oh, that sucks... Well, is there any alternative to creating the above mentioned army/space scene?

• Yes, create an image with a row of tiny Stormtroopers on it, then duplicate it a few times at various sizes to create more rows and put them in the scene instead of the models. All the attaching to a suitable floor point to move with the camera, masking against the foreground objects etc. you'd do just as with the models.

• So put the bigger ones at the front and decrease the size as you go back. But I have two questions: 

- How do I composite them into a shot with a moving camera- like the one in Rebellion?

-Why is masking required?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited January 2017

Fulcrum, to track to a moving shot... Depending on the camera move 2-point tracking in Hitfilm might do it. Otherwise the mocha add-on (what was used in REBELLION) does camera solves, or Autodesk Matchmover is free. From Autodesk make certain you export a ".ma" file which can be imported into Express via Import Camera Data.

Masking is required is your lines of troops aren't on a transparent background, or if anything passes in front of the troops. 

I would just make a row or two at the same size and let the 3D placement handle depth scaling. Farther rows will have more apparent width, but I would just yse multiple copies of the same row side-by-side. Just stagger horizontal placement to break up the repeating pattern. Maybe flip a few instances 180 degrees to mirror them, although, depending on the shadows that might not work. 

• Wait, if my rows of troops are on a black background then technically I could use the Blend mode Screen right?

Or actually, I'll openly admit it here. I'm a Hitfilm noob, who's new to editing, so would you mind simplifying your explanation or giving/recommending a video tutorial?

• By the way, what is the mocha add-on?

A blend of Screen would make the troops transparent. Add the Demult effect which will make black areas transparent. 

Mocha is available here: https://hitfilm.com/store/hitfilm-4-express

It's a program that allows you to track 3D camera movement (and assist with roto), and a YouTube search for "mocha Hitfilm camera solve tutorial" will bring up several options. (sorry, I'm feeling a bit lazy tonight--I'm sick. I could link a tutorial here, but I would be making the exact search I recommend then pick a result at random.)

Mocha can be purchased here: https://hitfilm.com/store/hitfilm-4-express

Autodesk Matchmover I'm not familiar with. I did one test to verify it works, but I don't know it that well. Again, I'd recommend a YouTube search. 

The main thing here is that Hitfilm can treat a layer as 2D or 3D. If you have a camera track then you have 3D position data for the scene. At that point you can make a layer 3D, stick in in the world and it will just... work! 

Btw, I changed the title of your thread. Your original title made it sound like a bug instead of hitting a limitation od Express. You can, of course, change the title again if you don't like mine. :-) 

• 1. The new title fits perfecto!

2. So with mocha, I can basically rotate round a corner and show off the stormtrooper army? UPDATE: I'm not in a position to spend money so I need to use Matchmover am I right? 

3. Get well soon ;) 

4. How would I make realistic troopers?

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment