Horrible half coloration in HitFilm

Hi all, I've been having this recurring problem with some of my video imports and it's really bad. All the footage I've imported comes with a horrible green discoloration and glitching/flickering during playback. I'm running a GTX 1070 and Intel Xeon 2GHz so I'm not sure what could be the problem. The videos play fine in VLC and even in the camera itself.

Comments

• edited January 2017

must be a interleave clip or variable bitrate...

try handbrake or other converter for fix bitrate. some youtube-tutorial about hitfilm gameplay show you the way.

• Variable bitrate is never a problem. Variable framerate is the item that can cause problems with that is with audio sync and not frame corruption.

Can we get a MediaInfo (free utility) report  of a file you are having problems with. You can just copy/paste the text version of the MediaInfo report into a post.

• General
    Complete name : -redacted-\GOPR8182.MP4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 1
    Codec ID : mp41 (mp41)
    File size : 82.3 MiB
    Duration : 22 s 891 ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 30.1 Mb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2016-09-10 17:43:04
    Tagged date : UTC 2016-09-10 17:43:04
    AMBA : x

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=15
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 22 s 890 ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 30.0 Mb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.483
    Stream size : 81.8 MiB (100%)
    Title : GoPro AVC
    Language : English
    Color range : Full
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Duration : 22 s 891 ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 358 KiB (0%)
    Title : GoPro AAC

Other #1
    ID : 3
    Type : Time code
    Format : QuickTime TC
    Duration : 22 s 890 ms
    Title : GoPro TCD

Other #2
    Type : Time code
    Time code of first frame : 17:42:10:11
    Time code, striped : Yes
    Bit rate mode : VBR

• edited January 2017

I guess always hope for some oddball type of file. This one looks pretty normal.

What model of GoPro is this from? I have GoPro Black 3 and Black 3+ models. I don't see any trouble with my originals (quick tests), but most of my "working" stuff has been stabilized in Mercalli and is thus not original GoPro. Also, does this happen with all your GoPro files or just one/some? Does it happen with non-GoPro files if you have such media.

I see from the screenshot the media panel thumbnail is bad as well. This I have seen about a year ago when I was experimenting with All I-frame AVC "edit" transcodes and with a Canon 5D MkIII All-I camera original. I got crashes but when it did not crash the thumbnails were often corrupt with this green thing like yours.

I don't think newer GoPro's have an All-I mode but they might. FxHome support duplicated the issue but it was so infrequent that it would be a "low priority at this point". But that was a year ago.

Can you post via Dropbox or Google driver and sample file that shows the problem in Hitfilm? Even a couple of seconds pointed at the ground should suffice.

Finally you are likely going to want to transcode your GoPro source media to something that edits better (smoother timeline). GoPro files I have used have a notoriously high overhead for decode and Hitfilm needs some help in this regard.

Transcoding to Cineform files via GoPro studio is a good option. Especially in Hitfilm 2017. You can also transcode to a fast decode AVC files. My setting here are floating around in many threads but here is a Handbrake screenshot showing them again. The Cineform files will be a fair bit bigger than the GoPro originals and the FD AVC ones will be similar sized.

You are very unlikely to have a problem with a transcoded file but I am sure FxHome would like reproducible problems reports to be able to squash a bug if that is what you have come across.

• Well, the GoPro isn't mine, so I don't have it with me. ):

I'm not sure what odd problem is this because it also occurs with clips recorded with Windows Game DVR (Overwatch for example). I think it's more than just the camera. Right now my workaround is to convert everything to Avid DNxHD.

• edited January 2017

Okay, multiple file sources with the same issue. Good info. So now we look at your installation. One of the usual things is to make sure your graphics driver is up to date.

I did verify that the AVC Intra crash or corruption issue is still there.

• I'm using Geforce Game Ready Driver 376.33, which, according to Geforce Experience, is the latest driver. I also just recently updated Hitfilm Pro 2017 to it's latest version.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment