(SOLVED) PC Support (Motherboard) Can't Boot From My SSD

CNKCNK
edited January 2 in Everything Else

So, Christmas came, I bought an SSD, and to my surprise, my motherboard doesn't even recognize my SSD!

Here's a video explaining the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SkARjcgVOg

I have tried different SATA cables, SATA ports, and it's infact detected inside Windows, it lets me use it as a secondary drive without any issues.

Windows 10 has been cloned to the SSD already, but the problem is that it's detected in BIOS, but it doesn't want to use it as the main boot drive, or any boot drive for that matter.

BIOS is the latest version.

Am I out of luck here?

Comments

• Have u checked that the motherboard supports ssd?

• @Andy001z It's using the SATA port, I'm pretty sure that SSD's should just work in AHCI mode.

I'm at a loss here. Hopefully someone knows the solution...

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Oh, we all know @Aladdin4d @Stargazer54 and, especially @NormanPCN are the tech gurus. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator
    edited January 2

Well you have your BIOS set to only boot UEFI devices so unless the SSD was properly partitioned and formatted as a GPT drive and the cloning process re-configured the existing  EFI system and MSR partitions then it won't be recognized as a bootable device.

Since it isn't being recognized something got lost in the translation during cloning. Even though it costs money the easy way out is to use Paragon Migrate OS which was designed for exactly what you're wanting to do.

EDIT: Adding a couple of free tools that might work.

Aomei Backupper - Says it should work but I have no idea how true that might be. I've never even heard of it until today

EaseUs Partition Master - This one probably will work but I think you're going to have to do things in stages before it's all said and done. It reads like you should be able to resize a partition while cloning making it sound like you should be able to shrink your Windows partition if needed to fit on an SSD. In my experience with the free version you can't. Resizing during cloning has been limited to increasing a partition to fill the available space. The solution is shrink the Windows partition on the existing HD before trying to clone anything. That means make bootable media, boot with it and shrink the existing Windows partition then shut down. Attach the SSD, boot from your bootable media, clone the drive then reboot to EaseUS one more time. Clean up and resize to fill the available space then shut down, disconnect the original drive and try booting to the SSD.  

• CNKCNK
    edited January 2

I tried using Aomei, no dice. The cloning was succesful, but Im guessing that it never converted my SSD to GPT, since Im BIOS based...

@Aladdin4d Would you mind using Teamviewer to help me with this?

My SSD reads MBR, my HDD reads GPT, because the convert process for each one is different. On my SSD, it reads "Convert to GPT", so that is my goal, before proceeding with using Aomei again, right?

I will try this once, and get back to you with the results. It looks like cleaning the SSD from the OS I migrated to it is the way to convert to GPT.

I'm currently running Aomei and so far so good, this is seriously looking too good to be true. I'm watching a Twitch stream and browsing this forum while it's cloning...

• CNKCNK
    edited January 2

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, it worked!

What an incredibly easy process, good recommendation @Aladdin4d

Literally all I did:

Connect SSD to SATA and power > Boot into Windows on HDD > Open Disk Management and convert the Unallocated SSD to GPT, simple as right clicking > Run Aomei > Clone > Disk Clone > Source Disk (HDD) > Destination Disk (SSD) > Optimize for SSD checked > Start cloning > Automatically shut down PC checked > In BIOS, change the boot drive to the SSD > Done!

My new favorite tool for sure!

• @CNK so was your orginal HDD the same size or smaller than your new one. My problem is I have a 1TB HDD with only a 120GB SDD. I need to move the OS and settings but not all the STEAM games .

• Update: looking at the webpage for http://www.backup-utility.com/clone/clone-hard-drive-to-ssd-4348.html it looks like it can copy of the OS part over. No idea how, but sounds good.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@Andy001z Sorry I can't really tell you anything about Aomei so you're pretty much on your own unless somebody else knows it. I don't normally use many tools like it or EaseUs. I handle Windows deployments for a handful of AV rental companies so all of my stuff is set up and configured around being able to go from bare metal to configured machine by doing a network boot and coming back in 2 or 3 hours.

• I've used EaseUs Todo backup migrate SSD/HD many times. Their backup software also has partition clone/copy functions. I've always gone from smaller to larger. They do have sector and filesystem implementations of the partition clone. They default to file copy. File copy should be able to go smaller.

• I have an 120GB SSD, want to install a 250GB SSD instead.

What's the best way to clone all the C: boot sectors and data on the 120G to a brand new 250GB SSD that I want to install into my PC?

• CNKCNK
    edited January 4

I think that upgrading to Pro in Aomei will let you only migrate your OS to the SSD, or HDD, I think it works both ways.

If you don't have enough room on the destination disk, then you won't be able to clone, but it is a fast process if you do.

I did a 52 GB clone from start to using Windows in just under 30 minutes, settings used:

The Source DIsk was originally the Destination Disk, vice versa. I didn't use "Sector by sector clone", not sure what that does, but it would probably take a long time with little benefit, if any, considering the fastest way works just fine.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@CNK a general clone is a fancy/automated way of basically copying files to the new drive without messing around with permissions for system and hidden files. In this case the destination drive just writes files sequentially as they are received.

Sector by sector cloning copies file segments to the identical area of the destination disc. It's used in disc forensics when one is dealing with drive failure. For general use it can be left unchecked. 

• @Triem23 Oke, that makes sense!

I can't recommend this tool enough though, I haven't come across anything better. I went to Kingston's site and they want you to team up with their sponsor it's ridiculous, how useless are companies nowadays.....

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment