MacPro doesn't work very well

edited December 2016 in Pro Support

Dear HitFilm staff,

I've just started using HitFilm Pro 2017 and I have to say that I do like it so far, but it is not working smoothly in my MacPro. Indeed, it crashes some times when I try to change the value of the options of my 3D objects.

- HitFilm Pro 2017 5.0.0128 (Update 1)
- MacPro (Late 2013) macOS Sierra 10.12.1
- 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
- 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
- 2 x AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB

- File: 1920 x 1080 @ 30fps 24bits AVC/H264
- Duration of the Composite Shot 1m10seg

Is there any wrong with either the Hadrware or Software? Should I need to create a proxy file?

Do you have any file that I could use to check the performance of my HW/SW/HitFilm?

I think there are 2 issues:
1) Performance: It might be fixed it by creating proxy files.
2) Crashes: HitFim Pro 2017 + macOS Sierra + AMD FirePro cards, is it OK?

Keep doing the good job.

Many thanks
David

Comments

• edited December 2016

I'm new to hitfilm, but as far as i'm aware, hitfilm is not able to use 2 GPUs. That could be you're problem. Also i'm having issues with my viewer on hitfilm and i'm using a 1080 and a 980, ill see if removing the 980 fixes it. If it does, that could be your problem. Cheers and Merry Christmas!

--EDIT-- Nope, didn't change a thing :/

• Get a PC, with a good graphic card.

• That's one of the trashcans, right? Those are notorious for having GPU problems; they're not designed to handle sustained loads on the GPU due to overheating, based on the symptoms and problems. A lot of people have had problems with those, it's been pretty common on the Resolve forums also; rendering glitches, crashes, etc. It's a classic case of form defeating function, sadly.

I had similar problems with my MacBook Pro from around that time period as well; it caused me to give up on the mac as a platform for graphics and filmmaking.

• @ArcticWolf_11 is correct in that Hitfilm is only using one GPU, but it should just be picking one of the FirePros.

First thing is to make certain your GPU drivers are current. Mac generally doesn't report driver updates. Apple generally only updates GPU drivers with IS upgrades.

Here's a FAQ on how to do that:

http://hitfilm.com/faqs/view/10

Otherwise, the FxHome office is closed for the Holidays, so official support may lag a couple of days. 

• The biggest issue for running any version of HitFilm is going to be the Firepro GPU's. Those are workstation cards and HitFilm isn't designed to work with workstation cards it requires a gaming GPU.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment