Effect: How to make this BLURRED clip OVERLAY?

I was wondering how to make this blurred overlay effect in the beginning of her video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw3MSFqVvM4&t=444s

So far I have a duplicated clip - one is the regular clip, the other is the same clip (stacked above it) playing at the same time and it is a COMPOSITE SHOT. 

In that composite shot I have selected a rectangular mask and applied the blurred effect.

Issues:

1. I can't seem to have the blurred section with clean cut edges. The blur goes out of the mask section boundaries. I have a screenshot but don't know how to post it here

2.Can you make this tiny drop shadow effect on the mask to make it look like like it has a bit of thickness?

3. Is there a way to create a template-like composite shot, or do you have to always stack the duplicated clip and make it into a composite shot every time? Is it possible to have just a composite shot with just the effects that, when placed over one clip, makes the given effect?

Comments

• Instead of the masked copy of the video, try a masked grade layer. 

What you ask about "templates" where just the effects are stored. Yeah, effectively you could save a Composite Shot with the effects set on a grade layer, yes. 

•  @Triem23

For some reason, the grade layer in the composite shot is not applying any effects I added to it, to the video clip underneath the composite shot. I don't know if this is a glitch.

I still have trouble keeping the blur inside the box boundaries and not leaking out - having blurred edges. I've messed around with the mask options and the blur options but nothing there helps. 

• edited December 2016

@Triem23 Always trying to expand my understanding, I've just tried your Mask and Blur a Grade Layer idea and it sort of works, but I have no idea why. That's the same Mask and Blur that I cut'n'pasted from the video track below it, with another copy below that.

So, layers were:
    Grade Layer with Mask & Blur (taken from video below)
    Video to be blurred.
    Video to show as normal background behind that...(I'd assumed)

There was nothing to 'flatten' by the Grade Layer, so it's down to Order of Operations, I guess? Mask, then Blur when on a video layer causes the masked area to spread out. OK, got that. But doing exactly the same thing on a Grade Layer above it and the Blur not spreading the Mask as before is...unintuitive.  Also, it does all this to the first video track on its own.  So the single video track had a blurred section in it. The one below isn't even needed. Why is Order of Operations (apparently) different for a Grade Layer?   But then you can't apply a drop shadow to the blurred area, because it's applied to the original whole frame, so it's not visible.

Only way I could get the desired result was:

1) Put video track in Composite shot and Blur it.
    2) Copy that composite into another Composite, Mask it (it stays sharp) and apply Drop Shadow to the blurred area.
    3)Put an unblurred version below it for the clear background.

• Palacono

Oh my god, YESS you did it! I didn't think to put the composite shot into a composite shot :O I was looking for answers everywhere for hours. Thank you that was amazing advice.

For some reason my grade layer isn't even working in Hitfilm, don't know if I am just oblivious to something.

• edited December 2016

Well, Triem23's method certainly demonstrated some other ways for Grade Layers to work, if all you wanted was a blurred section and a single video layer, so you'd be advised to still file that under..."Hmm....might be useful" ;)

For speed of rendering, remember to trim your blurred composite to only be as long as the part you display over the clear version rather than using, say, Opacity set to 0% - even if you use that at the ends of it to fade in/out.  Not sure Hitfilm is able to realise that 0% Opacity means "Don't bother processing this" because even invisible layers can be used with  things like Set Matte, so I think it processes everything for as long as it's on the timeline 'just in case'. So if it's trimmed, there is no question: nothing there to process. :)

• Palacono

Yes his version was helpful too, I didn't know what grade layers were even and now I went into it. 

Since my laptop is not that good (it does the job, but can crash), I would export only the intro and than insert the exported mp4. clip into the editor of the final video ;)

• edited December 2016

@Triem23 Oh, this rabbit hole is deep....

Take a video, and put a Grade Layer above it , then put a load of random masks all over it like a patchwork; 6-8 or so.

Nothing changes, right? Wrong... ;)

Now put some other Effects on the Grade Layer, such as Insect Vision or Fill Color, or Twirl, or all three. Only the areas inside the Masks are affected. That's incredibly useful. :D

Want to try something really freaky? Drop the Speed Effect on there and set it to 0.5. Only the sections inside the masks run at half speed, the rest runs at normal speed. On a single video layer! Weird! :D

Want something even weirder? Put another Grade Layer in there, put some different Masks in there - even some that overlap the originals - put some different Effects on those and they'll display too, so you get the different effects that are applied to both sets of masks displayed on the same, single layer.

So you can stack Grade Layers above a video layer, with each one applying a different set of Masks and Effects to sections of that same single, video layer and where the Masks overlay, all the Effects in those masks are combined. :D :D :D

Add a couple of Keyframes to the individual mask positions and you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0isuqoiTZo

• @Palacono & @JasminaAquarellina ;

The difference is the render order of Grade layers.

The normal render order is Masks then Effects so effects will go beyond the mask boundary. Not very useful for creating the look this thread is about but it's very good for other things like say a glow emitted from a masked layer because the glow can fill in properly.

Grade layers reverse that order processing Effects before Masks. This gives you a "clean" mask boundary because the mask is the last thing done cutting away everything beyond the mask boundary.

• @Palacono @Aladdin4d wow. I never knew that... the possibilities seem endless now... Definitely gonna try using this sometime soon.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment