Tutorial for using value graph animation

edited November 2016 in Everything Else

Hi Guys,

I'm trying hard to improve my effects skills and one of the areas I really struggle is animation. I know when hitfilm added the graphs to animation it was a bit of a game changer but i have no idea how to use it. Are there any tutorials out there on this? I presume it's not unique to hitfilm so it need not be a hitfilm specific tutorial unless there is one. before someone says "search yourself" I wanted to know if anyone knew of a good one so I don't have to wade through lots of rubbish first.

thanks

Comments

• show on youtubechannel of hitfilm. there have a few tutorials to learn how to animating. in the video-tutorials section in hitfilm.com there are several tutorials too.

what do you mean with "graph"-animation? with tracker or keyframe its not a "big thing" to learn it. look at youtube and hitfilm/video-tuts

• I understand the keyframes side of things, use of point layers for control etc. There is a more precise way of tuning animations using the value graph option though and I've never got around to using it.

I'll have a look at the animation tutorials but I believe I've already watched most of them.

• +1 for this kind of tutorial

• @DreamArchitect I can't think of any full tutorials on the value graph, other than a very brief overview in the HF4 new features video. 

@chriguf Dream os talking about the Value Graph interpolation added in Hitfilm 4, and none of the extant tutorials cover that in depth.

Dream the Value Graph isn't actually that hard to use. Set up keyframes as normal, but set interpretation type to anything other than 'linear" or "constant."  With the property you want to adjust the graph for selected, click the Value Graph button at the upper-right of the timeline interface and you'll see the track view become the Value Graph. 

In the value graph keyframes will become nodes connected by lines. The left side of the graph represents earlier times, the right is later time. Up represents higher values, down represents lower values.

The lines between the keys represent rate of change between values. Each keyframe will have a pair of "handles"--short white lines with hollow white circles. By grabbing and dragging a handle you change the shape of the curves connecting keyframes. 

Ok here's an exercise to start learning to read and adjust the value graph: create a new comp and create a plane (it can be much smaller than your comp size), then use the circular mask tool to create a "ball." Set two keyframes for the ball, one near the top of the frame, one near the bottom. Copy/paste these keys so the ball goes back and forth between these positions the entire time.

We've made a crude bouncing ball. Set all keyframes to Linear and play back the timeline... Well. That's not moving like a bouncing ball at all... Set all keyframes to Smooth and play it back. Yeah, still doesn't move like a bouncing ball. 

Now with the position property highlighted, select the Value graph. What you want to do is drag the handles at the bottom position keyframes so that their value lines are sharply angled. And drag top position keys so the value lines start forming a nice curve.

Play back the timeline and the ball should be moving like it's bouncing now. 

So let's make this more realistic. A bouncing ball loses energy from friction, so each bounce is faster and lower. 

So try to make your value graph resemble this diagram (a plot of the movement of a bouncing ball! Go figure!) 

http://feucht.us/writings/bouncing_ball_files/Img1.png

So, put it together and the value graph is a visual representation of how fast values change between times. The more vertical a lime is, the faster the values are changing, while a more horizontal line is a slower value. 

And, of course there's a page on this in the Hitfilm manual: https://hitfilm.com/reference/hitfilm-4-express/index.html?the_value_graph.htm which probably explains it better than I. 

• ah, i missunderstand. you meen the value-graph option to show the keyframe itself "soft/hard/begin/end" options...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FfQbG-Vr9s its for after effect, but the same.. or here http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1327260&seqNum=6

• Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about. It's about fine tuning to make things more realistic.

Thanks to @Triem23  for that little exercise I'll try later and @Chriguf for the link. Hopefully I'll get a better understanding from those

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment