I need your professional opinion: How did they shoot this music video?

Hi!

This is one of my first postings in this forum, but I just saw a music video and I'm really interested in how this project was realised. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm-50u4qLe8

- How did they manage to shoot in the blazing sun but still being overall perfectly exposed? Do you think that there's much grading involved? 

- The grain is fantastic! Is this real grain or an overlay? 

- What lenses / camera / rig do you think was used? The camera seems to be floating like a drone? Or maybe afterwards stabilisation?

Many thanks in advance, I'm really curious!

Comments

• If it's bright outside you adjust (increase in this case) the ISO and aperture accordingly. There's also ND filters available, with various levels of light they let through.

• What @CNK said,

Wow @2:29 looks like Mr Beard in this video picked up a nasty cut in the making.

Also liked it, but felt there was way to much messing around dancing and not enough of the to camera bits that for me grounded why the three guys where there.

• @LeonardDaylon  I can't say for sure, but I know that the use of white bounce cards out of frame help reflect the sun to eliminate hard shadows and smooth the light levels.  The same is true of white gauzy sheets of fabric to "filter" the light.  And it looks to me like the floating camera was achieved using one or the other of the stedicam-like camera mounts, but here again it could have been some sort of boom mount operated by hand.  That's just my amateur observations though. 

• - How did they manage to shoot in the blazing sun but still being overall perfectly exposed? Do you think that there's much grading involved? 

Neutral Density filter(s) and I suspect one was a graduated ND filter

• Others have covered steadicam/gimbals, bounce and ND filters, but I guess the camera or deck recorded 10-bit, at least. 

• I'd suspect that there is a very large diffusion screen between the subjects and the sun to reduce the contrast in the shadow areas.

• edited November 2016

Using a camera with something like VLog helps - the higher dynamic range of the setting reduces risk of burn out of detail. I use a Panasonic Lumix GH4 with VLog-L installed, and enhance the resulting clips with LUTs to grade to taste. Best results are at 10-bit at least. I use the 32-bit setting on my NLE.

• First off, most of it's shot with the cast facing the sun, so their shadows are behind them -- and clearly diffused, in many case most likely through clouds, since they're big, sweeping Steadicam/gimbal shots.

Sure, it's bright; but there aren't any really deep shadows in the foreground or midground, so the dynamic range in the scene is for the most part moderate.

In the overhead shot where the guy is lying down and another walks into frame, they probably used a big silk; notice the person standing doesn't cast much of a shadow.

Note that they avoided putting the sun behind the cast in big shots where they couldn't make a silk or bounce work; a silk would put a shadow in the frame drawing attention to itself in the big shots. Also note that in the big shots the background is pretty sharp -- they obviously stopped down quite a bit, even if they're using NDs. No one says that you HAVE to use a shallow depth of field when you use NDs, and they're far enough from the buildings in the background that their being sharp doesn't make the frame busy.

There are some shots with the sun behind the cast; you can tell from the shadows, it looks like they added some bounce fill into those.

Overall, this scene doesn't require that much dynamic range; brightness and dynamic range aren't the same thing, even though they're related. Sure this scene is bright, but the shadows are not particularly dark.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment