Issue with Pro 2017 Using Picture Files

So far, I really love Hitfilm Pro 2017, and I am thrilled to have purchased it. I particularly like the A/V Sync Feature, as well as the Multiple File Export Queue.

However, I have discovered an issue with certain picture files (both jpg and png formats) that I cannot figure out. I import them into the Media Panel where they show up just fine. I put them into the project and the preview window displays them just fine. I can manipulate them in all ways, and they always display properly when previewed. But when I go to export the file, in the final MP4, the picture becomes a red box that says "Media Offline." If I do the exact same steps in HF 4 Pro, the exact same picture files export just fine. This only happens with certain pictures, and I can't seem to figure out what it is about the files that cause them either to work or to not work. If needed, I would be happy to upload a short video demonstrating exactly what I am talking about.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Comments

• Hmm well to provide some confidence that .PNG and JPG do work, my recent experience has had none of those issues. Must be something about your files.

• @HitfilmSensei Could you send us one of the images that do not work? A Dropbox, Google Drive or other link would work well.

Also a few questions:

1. Are your images that don't work on a separate drive that could be disconnected when exporting?
    2. If you create a new project and add one image that fails exporting to the editor sequence, does that export okay?
    3. Is the option "Close all media files when the application is not active" checked or not? (it's in File > Options on Windows and HitFilm Pro 2017 > Preferences on Mac).

A video showing the issue may help us identify what is causing this for you as well

• The drive that I am working from is a SSD drive permanently connected. The "Close all media files when the application is not active" is not checked.

Here is a very short video of the issue...

https://youtu.be/PcrMBWTcX-I

Here is the Picture file that I used in this example...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4uhmzmrdj1vx5c/Picture.jpg?dl=0

I hope this helps!

• @HitfilmSensei hmmm, we can't reproduce it here, tried on different machines and on different OS...

Does it only happen when you use images on your SSD? Does it ever happen with videos as well?

• How interesting. It happens on my main hard drive also. The picture is obviously a screen capture. This has never happened with a video. It must be something to do with my machine. I will keep working on it and let you know when I figure out what I am doing wrong. Thanks!

• @HitfilmSensei That's a strange one! Have you tried anything like LockHunter to see if another process is accessing the files? It could be the Pro 2017 render queue wants exclusive access during rendering and can't get it because of another process. 

• Just so Sensei doesn't think he's completely crazy, I had a similar issue recently myself.  It was a .png image that I had to open and re-save in Photoshop (in the same format) that I'd originally downloaded via Slack.

• I am able to open the file in Photoshop and resave it as a different file type (i.e. JPG--> PGN) and then it works, I am not running anything else on the machine.

• I have found that sometimes the file actually has to have .jpg or .png in the file name when saving it.

• edited February 2017

I just ran into pretty much the same problem, but with video files. 

Just like with @HitfilmSensei , the videos played fine in the viewer, but when exporting they show "media offline". 

After reading @PaulHesh 's comment about filenames, I noticed none of my files had their file extension in the name. They were .mov files, so I renamed them all to include ".mov". After relinking the files to these renamed versions, the export worked fine. Problem solved.

The problem seems to be something to do with the filenames and the file extensions, and something to do with the render engine, but thus far I have been unable to replicate the problem, so can't really give any further information.

• @JMcAllister what OS are you running? If you are on Windows, what are your settings regarding file name extensions? If you open the File Explorer, go to the View tab. There is a "File name extentions" checkbox; is that checked or not? Now if you go to Options > Change folder and search options > View; is the "Hide extensions for known file types" option checked or not?

Now, did you rename the files on disk after importing them in HitFilm? Have you still got the version of your project file that doesn't work?

• @CedricBonnier

I'm on Windows 7. (sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier)

"Hide extensions for known file types" was indeed ticked. (I feel like a bit of an idiot now, no wonder none of the files had file extensions...)

Further testing: it's the proxies. If I make no proxies, and export, it works. If I make a proxy of a clip, that clip shows "media offline" when I export despite the fact that I'm not using proxies when exporting. If I remove the proxy, problem solved. 

This occurs for me regardless of whether the file extensions are visible in windows explorer, so I guess the file extensions were a red herring. 

• @JMcAllister Ah! This sounds a lot like a bug we've fixed recently. It should solve itself in HitFilm Pro 2017 update 2. If it doesn't, please let us know.

In the meantime, you can fix it by checking the "Use Proxies For Export". Proxies are all lossless so you won't lose any quality by checking that option. This is why it is checked by default.

Lossy proxies have a different purpose and are on the todo list.

• @CedricBonnier excellent. I look forward to Update 2 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment