Few Bugs discovered in HF2017

edited November 2016 in Pro Support

1. Memory preview - few times I was unable to stop rendering to ram process. Stop button simply does not respond. Need to click it many times or hold the button. One time HF crashed (dump sent).

2. Same with Play/Pause. If scene renders slow I can't stop it. Clip is playing forward no matter if I push the space again, hold the space, clicking pause button or clicking anywhere on the HF window.

3. UI issue. When switching from one comp to another, some text are cutted. It happens in all the windows, not in Controls only.

4. Properties filter sometimes resets, for example working with particle emmiter. Then filter out "move" to show Movement subtree. Typing 10s and hit Enter in Life property - "move" word disapeard in filter edit window and whole tree shows up. The same happens, when I scroll Scale scrollbar. Suddenly filter gone and all properties show up.

5. Making proxy failed - "Media file could not be found" at 100%. Proxy folder isn't in a default location. Clearing cache doesn't help.

Comments

• #3 I can confirm and I had already submitted a support report with a little quickie video to demo.

• edited November 2016

Here's one;

1. add "Fade to Color" transition to Editor timeline.
    2. Change color (in my case, to solid white)
    3. Crash
  • About bug 3. I've been reporting that since Beta. Right now, drag the offending panel NARROWER, then drag it back wider and the parameters will open up. 

• @Triem23 I know that, but it is a painfull when You have to do about 10 times in a minute ;).

6. Don't trust Mocha plugin. I've spent 20 minutes at rotoscoping, saving mocha project very often, then HF crashed again (when scrolling frames). And my mocha key frames are gone after reloading project. Sad. All the work from beginning.

I guess I'll give up with HF for some time, until it will be stable to be used in work.

• @Onixarts I also recommend reporting mocha bugs to Imagineer. Obviously mocha is Imagineer code not FxHome. Don't know if your errors stem from Imagineer code or FxHome code, so both companies should be informed. 

• @Triem23 but in my case HF crashed. Mocha works ok, but since it is a plugin it is closed with host process. Saving progress in mocha did not save Hitfilm project so when it crashed, all roto work is gone. Now I exit mocha and save HF project and open mocha again, but it is time consuming.

• Is it possible to open the Mocha project again once you've saved it? ?like, after Hitfilm crashes, reopen it, reopen the Mocha plugin, then reload your saved Mocha progress?

• edited November 2016

Since I am new to Hitfilm Pro. How long does it take usually until an update with fixes is released?

• @ambergart a few weeks usually. We're already working on update 1.

• edited November 2016

SteveKarstensen yes, mocha rember all the masks, layers and track info after reopening hitfilm project. I don't know where it store its data, but it works. Otherwise it would be a huge step back in compare to Mocha runs as an external application, where You can save its data.

7. When exporting comp with changed Dimensions (lower than in project) the finished movie is cropped, instead of resized. I'm using resoultion/4 export to load small movie in FL Studio to make some noise ;) (sounds and music). Scale mode set to "Keep aspect ratio".

Can I configure somewhere a path for exported movies? I want to export in my project subfolder in /out folder for example.

• Yeah, in the Export Queue in HFP 2017,clicking the drive path shown for each item will let you set individual output directories. 

• edited November 2016

Just started experimenting with the Doppler Shift audio effect and it sounds like the Z axis of a 3D layer gets flipped.

Set up a new scene with a 3D point layer (add a Camera if it doesn't automatically), add an audio file to the timeline, add the Doppler Shift effect and select the 3D point layer in the Sound Position dropdown of the Doppler Shift effect. Animate the 3D point layer from 0,0,0 to right in front of the camera (0,0,1700) then away from the camera to (0,0,-1700).

Same bug in HF 4 Pro.

• Will the update be done before thanksgiving,  I'm working on a deadline.  My project is due  December 15...

• AdyAdy Staff
    edited November 2016

@Onixarts - I'm sorry for the issues you are facing, I'll look at these right away.

1 & 2 - What type of footage are you using & what are your Project settings? I'll take a look at he reports you sent also, are they tagged with your details?

3 & 4 - I believe have already been logged & are being looked at.

5 & 6 - Do you have reproducible steps for these issues?

7 - I'll take a look at this one this morning

@SteveKarstensen - Thanks for raising that issue, I have recorded that in our internal tracker as a critical fix. Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

@Andersen01498 - Please see Cedric's reply, it's usually a few weeks for updates but work has already started on Update 1.

• @Onixarts Issue 3 can be worked around by simply resizing the panel containing the tree. It only happens when the panel is first shown.

• @Andy #1 #2 I'm using 1920x1080 @60fps MP4 files from my phone. I can send You a simple project if I'll can repeat that. It might be codec compression issue, but it should be irrelevant and app shouldn't crash. I've sent dumps with my email address.
    Edited: I think it could be also related to mocha plugin. I have two same video footage added in comp. The higher one has added three visible mocha masks and Apply Matte checked. When This layers is visible I can't really pause playback. It renders about 1 frame per second and I have to hit space in very specific moment to stop it.

#5 it is a very weird. I can't reproduce that on new project. In current project in comp there are about 10 layers with PNG files. I delete them and left comp empty, and still, when doing proxy at 100% error is shown. When I click cancel proxy the "Could not remove proxy media directory" window pops up. I changed the default location of proxy and cache folder to the other HDD.

#6. It was just one incident.

Danny77uk yes, but in normal work I switch comps very often and each time I must resize the window to show correct strings :).

#8. And Mocha licensing issue appears from time to time. For example now, I have loaded my project which I did load 5 minutes ago, and on my screen appears "mocha Hitfilm Plugin is running..." ohh... Crash again while switching from firefox to Hitfilm by alt+Tab :|.

• @Onixarts Can you post MediaInfo  reports for the clips  recorded with your phone? Phones generally record with a variable frame rate and if your clips are variable frame rate then that could be the root cause of most of your problems. 

• @Aladdin4d sure. It looks like it is variable frame rate.

Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID                                 : mp42 (mp41/isom)
    File size                                : 48.8 MiB
    Duration                                 : 11 s 562 ms
    Overall bit rate                         : 35.4 Mb/s
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2016-11-18 10:41:17
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2016-11-18 10:41:17

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : Main@L4.2
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=58
    Codec ID                                 : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration                                 : 11 s 554 ms
    Source duration                          : 11 s 545 ms
    Bit rate                                 : 35.2 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Variable
    Frame rate                               : 60.000 FPS
    Minimum frame rate                       : 58.366 FPS
    Maximum frame rate                       : 61.728 FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.283
    Stream size                              : 48.5 MiB (99%)
    Source stream size                       : 48.5 MiB (99%)
    Color range                              : Full
    Color primaries                          : BT.601 NTSC
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.601
    mdhd_Duration                            : 11554

Audio
    ID                                       : 2
    Format                                   : AAC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile                           : LC
    Codec ID                                 : 40
    Duration                                 : 11 s 562 ms
    Source duration                          : 11 s 562 ms
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 192 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel positions                        : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Stream size                              : 277 KiB (1%)
    Source stream size                       : 277 KiB (1%)
    mdhd_Duration                            : 11562

• @Onixarts It's definitely variable frame rate and I'm certain that's causing at least some of your problems. HitFilm and Mocha need to maintain frame accuracy in order to work together and you can't do that with a variable frame rate. Weird behavior and crashes is actually what I would expect to see when using VFR clips. I could also see where VFR clips  could also cause problems with making proxies although in your case it sounds more like a file permissions problem. The first video covers using Handbrake to convert your clips to a constant frame rate and the second covers some extra Handbrake settings for better performance in HitFilm starting @ 8:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2wiEUhV08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wWI_9Sscjc

• edited November 2016

Aladdin4d thanks, I'll check that while making new movie.

Edited: In Handbrake You must not set Frame rate to "Same as Source", because it generates variable framerate even when Constant framerate radio button is checked. That's what media info says.

• Correct, @Onixarts. You should select the specific frame rate you wish to use, when converting the file in Handbrake.

• But I really don't know how to set up properties to make film visually untouched. h.264 always make some distortions visible on clear gradient lighted surfaces like wall - for example. I was playing some in Handbrake with parameters with no luck. When trying convert videos to DNxHD with other software the video is not shown in HitFilm. Maybe 60 frames or variable framerate cause this.

• @Onixarts ;

"When trying convert videos to DNxHD with other software the video is not shown in HitFilm. Maybe 60 frames or variable framerate cause this."

That's probably a variable frame rate issue. Since you're using Pro 2017 and if you're willing I can walk you through setting up VirtualDub to fix the variable frame rate problem and convert to Cineform instead of DNxHD. You need VirtualDub,  an input plugin that handles your clips like the FFMpeg input plugin and you'll have to install the GoPro Quik Desktop/Studio to get a version of the Cineform codec VirtuDub can use.

• Aladdin4d can't install Go Pro Quick because of some .Net Framework issues. My Windows 10 is up to date, all .Net frameworks are turned on. Looks like it's just don't work with Windows 10. Google's solutions for error I've got don't work.

• @Onixarts Sorry I don't have any advice of the top of my head without knowing error but the GoPro has installed and run fine for me on several Win 10 systems

• I have a question about importing HFP2017 project files into Sony Vegas 14. If the project files started life in HFP4 and are updated in HFP2017, there is no problem and the clip can be seen as intended. If the project file has started life in HFP2017, the timeline displays the message "HitFilm Pro is required to render this project file". Has anyone else experienced this?

• Confirmed variable framerate cause many issues. Now I work with constant framerate and HF and mocha is much more stable.

But... :) when I switch to view to 2 mode windows I've got this error:

---------------------------
    An OpenGL error occurred when trying to render your project and the application must now exit.

Dumps sent.

• I don't know if someone has reported this one....  When trying to modify the linear wipe on the Editor, the program crashes every time.

I have sent the crash dump on each occasion.

• @Efrainf there's a glitch in all transitions. It's been logged and fixed in Update#1. I'm not certain when that releases, but the next week or two is a good guess. 

• @Triem23 ... Thanks a lot for the quick response.... I should pay more attention next time  :(

This discussion has been closed.