Tips for Greenscreen material

Can anyone recommend a good greenscreen background, what type is good? Cotton, or other material, or on a paper roll? If cloth, does it crinckle or wrinckle easily?
If anyone has some good suggestions, and knows of a website with good prices, please respond.
Im sure there is many here with experience with greenscreens, who knows what to look for and what to avoid!?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I went to a fabric store and found a bolt of 'Kermit' green muslin that no one seemed to want ... can't imagine why :P
    I got 2 pieces cut 7' x 16' (the bolt was 7' wide). Then I sewed the pieces together with 'Kermit' green thread for a 14' x 16' backdrop. The 2 pieces were far cheaper than buying professional 'chroma' backgrounds.
    I built a few lights with 2x 85-watt ALZO 5600k Video-Lux CFLs each to light it (you can also use the 45 watt CFLs). I built a couple of softboxes with a single ALZO CFL to light my subject (no shadows on the backdrop). I was a little worried that my seam would cause problems for me, but it keys right out with everything else.
    Muslin will wrinkle if folded/wadded. My setup is fairly permanent, so this isn't an issue for me. If you DO need a mobile screen, roll your cloth (don't fold or wad).
    Another option for a mobile setup (for interviews, etc) is to look into FXHome's offerings at FXHome.com (or just about any other photo/video equipment provider). Most offer some sort of collapsible and reversible backdrop (blue on one side, green on the other).

• Can anyone recommend a good greenscreen background, what type is good? Cotton, or other material, or on a paper roll? If cloth, does it crinckle or wrinckle easily?
    If anyone has some good suggestions, and knows of a website with good prices, please respond.
    Im sure there is many here with experience with greenscreens, who knows what to look for and what to avoid!?

FXhome actually sells some.
    http://fxhome.com/green-screen-10x16

Tom
  • Thanks for tips! I guess it's good to have a muslin greenscreen, less shiny!
    Thanks also thkaufm for tips about offer from FXhome, though 90 USD was a bit pricey.
    I can get the same size greenscreen from tupetape for 70 USD. :
    http://www.tubetape.net/servlet/the-37/screen-greenscreen-background-10/Detail
  • ok, how about this?
    ebay
    Tom
  • Yes, some good deals there! :)
  • Just got one stand and 2-10' x 20' green screens from tubetape. Came really quickly and had a free dvd with tips on lighting your green screen and use of FX Homes PhotoKey photography software. Shipping is expensive as stand is large and each greenscreen weighs 3 lbs. I'm impressed with the way the carry case for the stand is put together and the stand is made very studily. If you're worried about wrinkles on the screen you can pull the screen tight using clamps to clamp it to the stand or use a fabric steamer to steam out the wrinkles.
  • edited August 2011
    I have a large steamer and use it to remove wrinkles. Also you can have too much light and cause hotspots on the screen. I figured that out the hard way.
    Recently I purchased multiple 5x7 flex screens, and also the Large flex screen with the runner for full body shots.
    They are easier to work with than my large giant green backgrounds that require a lot more space, and always get wrinkles needing steaming.
    Get on the Tubetape sales list, every Thursday they have something, and the flex screens appear there sometimes.
    They are well worth the money.
  • I bought a 10' x 20' muslin green screen from tupetape.com about a year ago. It is a pain to fold up and keep unwrinkled sometimes, but if you roll it up on a dowel rod for storage, you will have no worries. It is a great asset to my film making and I can't do half the stuff I do without it. :)
  • Thanks for all the support. I made a promotion code for anyone here in the HitFilm community. It will save you 20% on anything from TubeTape.com for the next 30 days.
    Promotion code: HFLOYAL20
    Hope that helps and thanks again.
    TubeTape
  • edited August 2011

Thanks for all the support. I made a promotion code for anyone here in the HitFilm community. It will save you 20% on anything from TubeTape.com for the next 30 days.
    Promotion code: HFLOYAL20
    Hope that helps and thanks again.
    TubeTape

Is this coupon good for corporate as well. The company I work for has just approved a video studio for me to "play around" in. I included two Tubetape light sets in my request (It's being based around a Canon T3i). They are CF-1200 and EZ-3416. I already have a greenscreen from TubeTape (It came with VisionLab when I purchased it from you).
    thanks.
    <EDIT> This is a moot point. When I got to work this morning, my TubeTape lights were already here. The boom stand was missing, but purchasing has already contacted you and the missing stand is on its way.
    It's hard to move around in a 10'x12' cubicle when you have 2 lightboxes and 2 umbrellas set up on stands with a third lightbox sitting on your desk.
    The meteorologist (weatherman) in the next cubicle was very impressed. He gets to be the "talent" for the videos we're doing here.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment