The Science of Genetic Modification (live action science video)

I'm a fairly new Hitfilm user, but I was incredibly excited when I learned that Khan Academy would be hosting another Breakthrough Junior Challenge this year (to make a 5-minute video about a difficult science topic).

Having just finished a FutureLearn course on Hitfilm, and coming from a background in Premiere Pro, I created a video about genetic modification. I did lots of basic animation, plus some motion tracking and keying. Also, since the audio wasn't that great, I re-recorded large portions of it using Audacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sBkmx5Aze0

I'm planning on making future videos about science topics on this channel, which I'll probably post here if people are interested.

So, what do you guys think? What can I improve for future projects?

P.S. - For interest's sake, several years ago I ran a small YouTube channel that posted short films made in Kerbal Space Program, which can be found here.

Comments

• I thought it was very well presented and also pretty interesting. :)

Notes are: sound went a bit quiet around the 1min mark and overall the contrast seems a bit low. You look a bit ghostly. :D

• edited October 2016

I dig this, this could honestly be the next Vsauce down the road, keep it up :)

its like the 'Adam ruins everything' style of education but applied to science

• Well done!   That's a lot of work for one guy (shoot, edit, be the talent, do the graphics, etc).

A small comment: Something that might add visually would be to blur the background slightly when you do your closeup.   That would help bring a little more life to your virtual set by introducing some depth of field.

• edited October 2016

@Palacono: Thanks! Interestingly, I never noticed that the contrast was low, but I do see what you're saying. Perhaps part of it has to do with the fact that the background has a much higher resolution than the original footage of myself, so I don't blend in very well.

@TriFlixFilms: Yes, Adam Ruins Everything was a big inspiration for the kind of video I was hoping to make! Their video on fingerprints gave me the idea to open with an outdoor "spy movie" shot.

@Stargazer54: Great idea! I didn't think about that, but it's an easy way to make a 2D scene look more 3D.

By the way, here's a list of changes I would have made:

• Add some animation to the hologram using a particle emitter and some flicker.
    • Wear a lab coat (sadly, none were available).
    • Use a 3D laboratory room instead and different angles (mine was based off of this image).
  • edited October 2016

Just a short and fun behind-the-scenes video I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_QgCPNLxA

• edited October 2016

Holy smoke, you did all that in Hitfilm 4 Express?

I just watched it again and you can pick any 4 seconds of your main video and it contains about 20 effects!  If you don't win or place, then it won't be from lack of effort. :D

• @AndrewTheHansen - Bravo! Not only was the video great but I actually learned more about GMOs than I knew before....which wasn't much to begin with. Now I can make my own GMOs! Here kitty, kitty, kitty.  Good luck on the Breakthrough Junior Challenge and hope to see more stuff from you in the future!!!

• Well done!   I echo what StormyKnight said.  I also learned more about GMO's then I knew before and I learned it in a very entertaining way.  Good luck on the Breakthrough Junior Challenge!

• edited October 2016

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated! I'll continue posting more stuff here, and rename the title when necessary. 

Sign in to comment