Audio Video issues

edited August 2016 in Pro Support

Hello everyone!

I have some audio that I'd like to sync up with some footage. However... I didn't clap or anything(because I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to sync up later:this is my first time recording the 2 separate), and I can't see any noticeable, line-up-able waveforms, partly because they're so small, and partly because I'm using a point and shoot with a less that great mic. Is there some free audio/video syncing program(I can't get pluraleyes or woowave dreamsync)? If not, can I scale up the waveform size in HF4P?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited August 2016

Scaling up the audio waveform would really be nice!!!!! (echo, echo . . . .)

I believe that's been on the wish list for quite a while and is really needed.

In lieu of that, even without a clapper you may be able to find a spot in the footage where somebody drops something and makes a loud noise, clicks during their speech or laughs loudly.   Any discernible sound will work as long as you can see the sound maker both in the picture and hear it on the track.   Once you find that, you'll have a good chance of getting the sync close.

After that you will have to nudge the audio track forward (or backward) frame by frame until you achieve sync.   Yes, its a pain but it is doable.

• Thanks so much!

• @Behind_The_Lens @Stargazer54 Changing the size of the audio track is possible:

Change track height

• edited August 2016

@CedricBonnier I'm not sure I'd have found that if you'd bet me $100 and given me 10 minutes to do so. :)

Why is it where it is and affecting all tracks rather than for each track individually?  For video and audio - in another editor - I regularly minimise the size of tracks I'm done with and only have the still-active ones at a larger size. Wouldn't that allow more choice and also make it easier to find, as every track would have the little arrow? One for the wishlist?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Why is it where it is? It's next to the zoom slider... So track size and track zoom are grouped together--along with thumbnails and other preferences. It's actually pretty logical when you realize it's grouping all the track controls, rather than hiding them in a window corner, or in a Preferences menu. 

Just a guess. 

• @Palacono It's always been there since HitFilm 1 and is definitely something that we could/should improve on. It's on our list (not sure if it is in the wishlist though) but it is a rather long list...

As always, keep asking for a feature and it will be moved nearer the top of the list ;)

• edited August 2016

@Triem23 Sure, I get that now, after you explain it, but it's pretty tiny and if there were several of them, each on the same row as the visibility/mute icon and the layer name, it would be just as logical, but more likely to be spotted due to the number of times it would be repeated. Also...versatility. ;)

And while we're at it, is there really a need for the little Export icon above the Snapping tool, above the Zoom Slider? Fiddlier than just hitting the big Export Tab at the top of the screen.  :)

@CedricBonnier "As always"? Scopes, scopes, scopes, scopes, scopes...Quad Warp 3.0? ;)

• The export tab remembers the last timeline exported there. I think the Export icon above the snapping tools is maybe(?) supposed to always select the current timeline in the export tab. That is some convenience. I've noticed that this is timeline select is hit and miss. That is about the only thing the export icon could bring to the party.

• @NormanPCN Nah, I'll keep using the Export Tab and fighting with it deciding to export the Entire Timeline instead of the Work Area, even though I keep selecting it and it snaps back to the wrong length and having to save the project and reload it to have it go "Oh, yes, now you can do that". ;)

• @CedricBonnier Well, that's embarrassing ... I had forgotten about the little arrow at the bottom of the screen to change video/audio display size.    But as mentioned it's not very obvious as to its function.

However, I would like to see the waveform even larger on "Extra Large", but that's personal preference.

Here's another question:  Say you trying to sync your audio and you keep zooming in and out to find your sync spot and loose your place.  Is there a way to put a temporary marker on the track to make it easier to find that same spot again if you get lost?

• edited August 2016

I think a number of people have wishlisted timeline markers. I know I have.

One possible workaround. Create a dummy plane and place it at your marker position. This will give you an edge to snap thing to. You can shrink the event up nice and tiny to minimize space. You can reuse the plane multiple times to create addition markers. You can put your marker plane/events/clip on a muted marker track so they don't show up. Not using a marker track you can just use a black plane and put demult on the event/clip.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Alternative to Norman's idea... Same thing, but a text object.., "marker media overlay."

I've used planes as well. For a Dalek shot (as an example), I made a yellow plane,  and sliced it at beginning/end of words, deleting" silence." Gave a nice visual reference for doing flashy lights. 

Didn't @Aiden did a mini tutorial on planes-as-markersplanes-as-markers? 

• Aiden did have something where he used colored planes on a muted track to mark regions. Not a real region like in say, Vegas, with all its functionality but you do have clip edges to use to set in/out points on a loop region. That is something I really, really, really miss from Vegas. A simple double click of a region to select and then a single click to zoom and center the region to fit the timeline.

Because native text is comp only, text becomes a little cumbersome for the NLE if you want each marker to be unique. In Pro 4 you can just have a plane you reuse and put Boris on each separate instance. You get unique text per marker and you can stay within the NLE.

• @NormanPCN @Triem23 Excellent workarounds. 

I'll put a star on this conversation, because 6 weeks from now I'll be going, "I know I saw this  on the list, but damned if I can find it."

Good stuff!

• Back to the sound graph height question.   Even in large mode, the waveform is still too small in my opinion.   There is all this empty space between the 0db line and the highest peak in the graph.  I would expect that the highest peak should ride right on the 0db or Volume Level line and scale up and down when you grab the line to change the audio level.

With the graph being this small even in "Large" mode it's still a challenge to sync sound.

sound-graph

• edited August 2016

That line you point to is not a 0dB line. It is just the volume control line/graph/envelope for the audio clip. It has no relationship to the audio graph.

Hitfilm defaults to an RMS average display which is not the best for syncing. The Channel composite selection, in File|options, is probably best and uses most of the audio track height.

Even still Hitfilm chooses to not use the full track height to draw the composite graph, at least compared to Vegas for example. It never reaches the bottom of the clip on stuff I know peaks at max. It does get very close and is good enough. Hitfilm timeline clips have a header so that limits vertical space a little by comparison.

• Yes, I know its not the "0 db" line but rather the level control.   I guess I called it that because that's where it starts out by default.   Sorry, if I was misleading.

Anyways, its still kinda goofy that there is all this space vertically and the graph doesn't fill the space.   Still an area that needs some developer work.

Agreed, though that it is "workable".  In fact, holding down the Control key and using the scroll wheel on the mouse to zoom in and out of the timeline is pretty handy.

• Can I add a question that using a google SITESearch is not showing as a previous topic of conversation.... Justification over... here goes.

So, Audit Trimmer, why the heck isn't there a little line that shows the postion you are on the green audio wave form. I am finding it near impossible to get accurate Start and End points on my audit clip, seems bonkers that I am having to use my ears when there is something visual represented but doing nothing.... have I got this SO wrong, please say yes. Oh and I know I can do it in the editor but what's the point of the trimmer then?

• Maybe it's just me, but synchronizing is a breeze when I do it manually. Often I got it right with the first try and it never takes longer than a minute. Every extra software would be a wast of money for me.

1. Just recognize the waveform by eye
    2. Zoom into the timeline so that you can exactly move the  audio frame by frame from the left to the right and vice versa. 
    3. Make sure that the scratch audio track and the recorder track are both audible. 
    4. As long as you have the slightest echo when you hit play, it is not in sync. If you don't it's in sync.

It is really that easy.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment