Thin white lines

How do I create thin white lines like in the Thursday tutorials from hitfilm? I refer to those whenever text is overlayed to add emphasise a point it has nice framing with various lines and shapes. How is this done in hitfilm?

Thanks

Comments

• No comments, not even hitfilm staff?

• @DreamArchitect I am confused about which white lines you are asking about.  Are you talking about these white lines around Axel's name in the lower third graphic?

• hang on a minute. I'll and find what I mean and post a youtube link

• edited August 2016

Hi @Senseihaynes

In the video below I'm referring to to two different things I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKWk0cR9RHE

When I say lines what I meant to say is how have they done the motion graphics in general. Firstly Simon's name caption. Secondly the captions that pop up from time to time reinforcing the points Simon is making.  So I'm asking about the "Lower thirds" animation really. How can I achieve something like the hitfilm guys have done. I need it for something at work.

They may have been created elsewhere and added I don't know but it would be very useful for me to get help with this. Maybe @Triem23 or @AxelWilkinson can help?

Thanks guys

• edited August 2016

Here's one way to do it.

https://vimeo.com/177951679

There are several presets on this page from @inScapeDigital. They are created by other Hitfilm users such as @Triem23.

http://www.inscapedigital.com/presets/

• Import your graphic of the white lines, then animate masks to control which parts of the line are visible at any specific moment. There's a white plane in there as well, that briefly fills the box where the text will appear.

• Ok thanks @AxelWilkinson, @BriRedd. It's kinda what I thought but I wanted to be sure. I had hoped for something a little easier but I will give this a try

• Here is my video on Lower Thirds.  It's not that hard really!

https://youtu.be/6cr7j60lqKc

• @DreamArchitect So, if you are talking about the animated title that comes on under Simon in the lower third I'm going to say that could be accomplished with a bunch of animated masks and fading on the title.

Now as to "how to" I would probably capture the video and step through it frame by frame to figure out the motion.

But basically, creating a thin line could be done with a plane layer and adding a mask to scrunch down and create the line.   After that its a series of composite shots each with their own element that stack up and animate some masks for the movement.

Hope that's what you mean.  It is really a cool effect they came up with.  If I get time tonight I'll see if I can simulate it myself.

• Another, (perhaps more straight forward) method would be to create the line shapes and boxes in a paint program and save out as 32bit with Alpha.  Then bring in those elements in to stack up in HF.   Either way you will still need to animate a series of masks.

• edited August 2016

Great speaking skills. Easy to understand and personable. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited August 2016

Just for completeness sake, here's a few ways to make straight lines directly inside Hitfilm:

Create a small plane--say 50x3. Easy-peasy!

Create a large plane and use rectangular masks to make thin lines.

Use Lightning with wave scale and twitch set to 0, and turn off the glow (intensity 0). This has the advantage of direct animation with the "Growth" parameters.

Use Lightsword and turn off the glow. Like Lightning, you can directly animate the Growth parameters.

Animated Lasers--again, turn off glows, again, you can directly animate the effect.

Play with grid--which requires masking to throw away what you don't want. 

My guess is FxHome created lines and boxes in a paint program and animated with masks. @KirstieT or @JoshDaviesCEO would be able to confirm, although @AxelWilkinson suggesting using a paint program really makes me think this is how it was done. 

• If you are using Pro 4 you can use Boris to create lines, boxes, rectangles and other shapes. 3D if you like.

Extruded Spline for shapes. 3D stroke check option to make the solid shape an outline.

Sign in to comment