Chroma key causes black background instead of transparency

When using the chroma key effect on an object, it produces a black background instead of transparency.  

For instance, trying to key out the green background of a greenscreen shot, it simply changes the green to black.  Even when the background color is set to white, the problem persists, and I am left with a big black rectangle with an actor inside.  What could be causing this?  Please help!

Comments

• edited August 2016

I've noticed that if you have a camera in the composite shot the keyed out area will appear black and not the checkerboard pattern that normally indicates a transparency.  Even though it appears black, it is still transparent.  Its important that the layer you want underneath the keyed out object is below it in the composite shot.  I would try bringing in a picture and placing the layer below the keyed shot and and see if it shows through the black.

• The object underneath is below it in the composite shot, but same result.  I tried exporting it anyways, and it just shows up black, with some blue pixelations around the blood.

•  That is strange.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Hopefully one of the forum guru's chimes in.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Can you upload the project?

• edited August 2016

Here is an example of my issue. It's just a short test.  This is using the action essentials pack, and as you can see, the black background of the squibs doesn't disappear. I added the muzzle flares and the blood mist by changing the blend mode of the layer, but I didn't want to do that for the blood burst because it didn't look as good.

https://youtu.be/R0uTeClokoc

• edited August 2016

Set the blend mode to screen or add

• edited August 2016

I want to avoid using that because I don't want the blood to be transparent.  

• Put the Demult effect on the layer.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment