How can this be done -Crashed Tie Fighter

I image that every one has  seen this.  How was this done?  Is it entirely CG or did the artist motion track the highway and then composite the Star Wars elements? 

Thanks,

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riDXCOUqQKM

Comments

• edited July 2016

I'd say motion tracking. The trees look real and the fire does not.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Ayep, motion-tracked composite. 

• think so too

• Can it be done with planer tracking  (mocha) or must one use something different? 

• Also,  Maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot find a suitable tutorial on how to track features that leave the screen.  Ie  In the video I attached, the attachment point of the tie fighter obviously scrolls off the screen but yet the track stays solid.  I would to do a composite where a person "drives/ walks"  past a row of fighters or cars or space ships  etc (standard hanger scene in  every action movie) etc.  However if the point i'm tracking  leaves the screen my track falls a part.  It may be something simple I'm missing or it may not be possible with the software I currently have.   thanks,

Bob

• Bob,

I have had luck tracking long pans with the info I gathered from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWVcjN5Wg-I

Without looking (yet) at the tutorial Grey linked (That's one of Axel's, I think), I'll just link this long webinar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI1SQbfL-4w

So, in Mocha, you have two ways of dealing with things leaving frame. The first is to use the "Add Spine" controls to add a second tracking spline to a layer. As long as the new spline is on the same planar surface, this works.

The second way is to "disconnect" the spline from the tracking layer--basically this leaves the spline where it is on-screen and assumes the tracking is moving past the spline. This is useful for things like this Stormtrooper shot, since you could leave the spline on the road surface and just let it move....

I think between the Axel tutorial above and the webinar here both of those are covered.

BTW, this webinar is long but worth a watch--while it doesn't get Hitfilm specific there's all kinds of information in here that works in Hitfilm.

• Thanks, @ GrayMotion  Thanks Triem23

I've used the PTZ tracking but only when I used a tripod and even then it seemed a bit  finicky    

I've never used add spline nor disconnect spine.  That should make a big difference I will watch the attached tutorial and give it a go.

Thanks, again

Bob 

Mocha is tricky. Ideally you're tracking splines are as close as possible to where your composited elements are going. Remember, mocha doesn't know what anything is. It tracks pixel movement, then looks at two (or more) rectangles you've defined. It doesn't know size or distance or orientation, it's just guessing based on the movements of the defined rectangles relative to each other (a task with infinite viable solutions). As it is, accuracy drops with distance from the tracked surfaces. 

I'm amazed it works!

Besides putting your surface as close as possible to where you want objects, another thing mot mentioned in these tutorials is that Mocha prefers image sequences. You get faster, more accurate tracks off an image sequence than a video file.  Also, you get more accurate solves with a larger spline and a smaller surface. 

Sign in to comment