Headphones for Mixing

2»

Comments

• CNKCNK
    edited August 2016

That's very true, but I definitely see their point in getting the flat headphones. My decision was to try to get the best of both worlds. I could buy another pair of headphones down the line if people watch my stuff and their ears bleed, but to be honest, that's probably never going to happen. So I don't think that actual mixing headphones would be necessary. 

I'm very interested to see if my opinion would change later on once I started mixing. They should arrive tomorrow, keep delaying... :(

• I always  follow posts like this with great interest because it's easy for me, as well as  others,  to get into the mindset that  producing  output that we visualize with our minds eye,  or hear with out minds ear is  strongly limited by the  hardware (or software) that we are using.    This applies  to Cameras,  Audio Equipment, Lenses, Lights,  computer workstations, and software. etc.  

For Computer generated Special Effects, FX home leveled the playing field with HitFim Pro, with a US retail of $349.  It can do for folks what previously After Effects,  Particular and Elements 3D  did for a combined total of more than $1500.   And that's assuming that they use a free editor to edit the completed video otherwise they would need to shell out a heck of a lot more.

For those that still like listening to Music recorded in the 60's may be surprised to learn that these albums were recorded using 4 track magnetic tape decks and significant Ping ponging.   I've yet to meet someone that thinks that a Beatles Album sounds bad.

Finally.   Watching Robert Rodriguez's El Mariachi and reading his book, Rebel Without a Crew gave me  insight as to what can be done with next to nothing.  It also taught me  how to solve problems by modifying the story to reflect the limitations of what is on hand.    So at the end of the day, the brand of Headphones we use will not limit out ability to produce good audio if we take the time to learn how our stuff sounds on all the target platforms Relative to how it sounds while we are mixing the audio. 

• First impressions of the Sennheiser HD 558, they use a 6.3mm jack natively? That's odd, but lucky me I got a 6.3mm ready amplifier. They did include an adapter, but I would honestly wish it was the other way around, if I wanted to bring them with me when I'm travelling, when I'm forced to use my phone as the playback device.

Comfort, OH MY GOD. ANGEL'S PILLOWS ON MY EARS. And they're so light! I'm definitely happy I went with velour pads and not pleather or some other material. Basically right now I can barely feel that I'm even wearing them, and I believe its only going to get softer over time. The only part that kind of bothers me a tiny bit is the headband, but it's really stiff, can definitely see that part get softer. 

The sound quality, well I'm a bass lover, and well, WHERES THE BASS AT!?!?!? I expected little to no bass, but this is not what I expected. The sound is crystal clear though, which my bass heavy headphones aren't, so that's a huge plus.

I tested this using FLAC, or close to FLAC (whatever YouTube FLAC is...), and the difference is massive between my Skullcandy Crushers and the Sennheiser HD 558. The soundstage is great on these.

I'll attempt to mix once I wear them for a bit longer, perhaps in a few days. I want to get to know my new headphones a bit more, take them out for a date or two even. :p

• I too agree with you that wireless headphones are a better option to go with while mixing. And as for your question @cnk, I would like to suggest you with a product i came to know about from a friend of mine, who is using a wireless bluetooth affordable HD (or quality) headphones for his dj and mixing both. In conclusion, a DJ or mixing headphone must a piece of equipment that needs to be robust, reliable, flexible and comfortable at the same time, delivering a superior sound quality, isolation and a high level of efficiency. I hope this might help you.

• First off, always look for a set of head phones with no bass boost. Signal response really should be flat  ie no added highs or lows according to my friend in the business. Sennheiser has good quality units as does Sony and I found a pair of Shure SRH440 for about$150.00 CDN (always more expensive here)  The Shure set isn't going to give you as flat a sound as Sennheiser, Sony or AKG but it can be a cheap alternative if you're mixing while saving for best set. Also you can buy replacement cords for it off of Shure's website(as they plug into the head set rather than be wired in) which helps if you accidentally run over cords like me As one person said use the tools you have but with sound, quality is important.  Axel is right that mxing  is usually done with monitors but you can only use what you have. I have monitors but often prefer to use my headphones as I live in apartment building and don't what loud sounds annoying my neighbours. As for the accoustics in your room here is one trick you can try. Buy several cheap wheeled garment racks. The ones I bought are about 51/2 feet high. Clamp or tape several blankets on them. The more layers the better. Then position them to create an enclosed area around where you are mixing/recording. It will help deaden the echos and you can wheel them out of the way when not in use.  Hope you have a great time creating what you are doing. It can be stressful starting out but keep at it. And I hope you have fun.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment