iClone 6.5 Beta to HitFilm Alembic Tutorial

I know somebody else already posted about the next point version of iClone supporting Alembic export but Reallusion has a quick tutorial on exporting to HitFilm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwY5W6IjRKo

Comments

• That's pretty awesome! I own iClone and Crazy Talk animator so I can appreciate the potential here.

While this is very cool I feel like a "buyer beware" is needed for those interested in their software. For further customization you are almost always forced to buy another product they offer, and pipeline editions at that. They appeal greatly to the hobby crowd, but sure don't offer hobby prices.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@pharcyded  I personally don't have any experience with iClone even though I got a copy of iClone 5 standard for free through Giveaway of the Day. I've never done anything with it other than install it and because it was a Giveaway it's supposedly not eligible for an upgrade to iClone 6. Anyway I got an email from Reallusion this morning offering an upgrade to iClone 5 Pro and 3DXchange 5 Pro for $69.00 so I checked things out to see if Alembic was available yet and how much it would be to buy the offered upgrade, then turn around and upgrade that to iClone 6 Pro/3DXchange 6 Pro. As it turns out it's the same cost as buying the bundle outright at the moment. 

• "While this is very cool I feel like a "buyer beware" is needed for those interested in their software. For further customization you are almost always forced to buy another product they offer, and pipeline editions at that. They appeal greatly to the hobby crowd, but sure don't offer hobby prices."

Although they market it for hobbyists, iClone can be a professional tool. I've been using it in some professonal projects since last year and it is a very good, cheaper and more friendly version of Motion Builder. 

You can model and rig your character in Cinema 4D or Maya, put it in iClone as an avatar, animate there with all the motion clips available, and then bring it back to Maya or Cinema 4D. 

iClone even uses the HumanIK system from Autodesk, the same used in Maya and MotionBuilder (they licensed, I presume).

• is iClone an Autodesk product then or just adaptive to work with it? Students can get free copies of all Autodesk software is why I ask...

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@TriFlixFilms  iClone is from Reallusion and not an Autodesk product.

• edited June 2016

iClone is not an Autodesk product, but they have HumanIK inside their product. It is not something similar, it IS HumanIK. Same name and works the same. 

As I said in my post, I assume they have licensed HumanIK from Autodesk. 

But that's beside the point. My point is that you can model and rig something outside iClone and animate inside of it. You don't need to use their premade models and props. 

If you use HumanIK in Maya, Maya LT or Motion Builder, it's even better, because iClone Exchange will import and export the models and the rig flawless. 

• I own iClone 6 Pro, It definitely has potential to be used as a professional tool, and it adds loads of opportunity to the machinima world. If you are a 3D artist then you will no doubt have less issues here aside from bugs in the software here and there. As someone who isn't a 3D artist here's how your life with them will look  (sorry this will be long, but thorough):

iClone 6 Pro for $199, and it comes with a few ready to go models, shirts, buildings, motions, character creator, etc. Can you get the standard version? Sure, if you want to pay for basically a life long trial version of the real deal. The standard version of any of their software will quickly hit the ceiling with limits. Just look at their comparison charts to see how bad it is. Anyway, here's where the constant flow of cash starts. 

If you want to import 3D models into their 3D animation program then you need the nifty 3D Exchange Standard for $99. Oh you want to export models? Cool, then you need the Pro version for $199. Want to export the model with any animation you created in iClone? We gotcha...just snag the Pipeline version for $499. The feature to export a model with the animation you created is literally the only difference between the Pro and Pipeline version.

Character Creator is really cool. Without being an artist you can easily create realistic or absolutely ridiculous looking people. You can even put your face (or any face from a picture for that matter) on a model to create an animated version of yourself!....as long as you buy the CrazyTalk8 Pipeline program for $199.

Maybe you want to get your feet wet though so you just spring for a lower version and just upgrade to either Pro or Pipeline later. Nope. Well technically you can, but you will catch no breaks in the cost. Not a single penny, and this is true with any product they offer.

Almost every time they release a new version they tempt you with badly needed bug fixes being in there, but then find a way to strip something you loved out of it as well. You're screwed if you upgrade and if you don't.

I could rant about them for days because they punish your wallet for wanting to do everything their products are capable of.

• About to purchasing iClone Pro, me too noticed this way of pulling your money, but can't find something easier to produce real 3d animation.

• Unfortunately, you likely won't find anything better than iClone yet @davide445. It's easy enough to use for sure, but quick to take advantage of any weaknesses or needs you have by getting you to spend more $$$ as well.

Again, the software isn't awful by any means. They just have a greedy business plan.

Sign in to comment