Double Exports

Hi everyone,

I am trying to edit a class movie. However, considering that I'm running on a entry-level mid-2012 MacBook Pro, and I'm editing around 30 minutes of HD footage, the computer is becoming very slow. Since this project requires almost no in-computer effects (the video effects were mainly stop-animated ), it's really only editing and some grading. So far, my solution is this: split the project up into 3-4 projects, export those, and then bring it all into one big project. ( I think that the computer's problem is too many cuts and clips at once (around 35-40 clips per "too be joined " project).) I'm using a Nikon Coolpix l830 (essentially a point &shoot)  to film, (probably at  the h.264 codec), and I'm going to export the mini projects at pro res hq, and then the big project at h.264 @ 35 mbp/s. Is this okay? If not, what codecs should I use?

Thank you 

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

You should be fine with those settings. What's the final display format? Are you going to disc or are you just displaying on computer screen or via projector? 

Some numbers to compare--Blu-ray would be mastered near 20 mbps. Netflix or Hulu stream at about 15mbps and YouTube would be under 10mbps, so 35 as your master output should be more than high enough to be a great looking film. 

• edited June 2016

Ultimately, I believe that copies on discs will be distributed, however, we are going to have a premiere, which will be projected.

Thank you so much though for the support!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

If discs will be burned, try and find out if DVD or Blu-Ray. For DVD 35mbps is certainly gorgeous. For Blu-ray you might want to export at 20mbps. Otherwise you export to 35mbps mp4 (a lossy codec) then re-encode at 20mbps mp4 (still a lossy codec) which could introduce artifacts. 

Sign in to comment