Triem 23's "Hey, I'm Working on THIS!" page (Update: Eagle Transporter Flyby Test Jan 31, 2018)

Comments

• @Triem23 I'm gonna be really picky and say the grey one probably shouldn't be flying... pretty sure that particular generation of Daleks didn't have the built-in ability to fly

Looks like plan A would've been fun though

• @JMcAllister the grey Dalek is a "Mk V" casing, which was the primary prop used from "Genesis of the Daleks"  through "Revelation of the Daleks."  

"Revelation of the Daleks" has this particular scene:  https://youtu.be/3_cJ9BlMCw8

Which is conclusive evidence that particular casing could fly. 

Also, Davros's chair can hover (implying his creations can) in "Resurrection of the Daleks" with one odd sequence where a Necros Dalek (which is a Mk V casing) seems to exterminate from above. On the Special Edition DVD for this story the shot is redone to make it clear it's hovering.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)

Now New Paradigm Daleks can't hover. Because they're stupid. And ugly. Mostly stupid. I literally mean that in their plot lines the New Paradigm Daleks are responsible for some of the stupidest things Daleks have done! Besides, if New Paradigm Daleks were grown from the last batch of original Dalek DNA recovered, then they are Old Paradigm Daleks in Ugly New Casings. I'm pretty sure that deep down Moffat knows this because we haven't seen those guys since "Asylum of the Daleks."

• Looks like they are scouring the area for more Santa Clones to exterminate!

• @Triem23

Firstly, lets agree not to mention the New Paradigm Daleks. 

Secondly: that's "Remembrance" not "Revelation"... But a grey Dalek flying in "Revelation"? I don't remember that. I will re-watch when I have the time, and if true I will concede the argument.

Otherwise, my point is: in "Remembrance" the white-and-gold Daleks (one of which is seen flying) are new-and-improved Daleks made by Davros. The same argument can be used for Davros' flying chair in "Revelation"

As to the actual prop being the same, that may well be true. Seems like the BBC re-used pretty much all the Daleks, because money.But I maintain that for narrative purposes, the flying ones are different, and that said flying was a new innovation by Davros (since the only stories with flying Daleks occur when he has had the opportunity to redesign them)

• @JMcAllister well, the Dalek levitating in "Revelation" is in the white and gold color scheme, but let me delve way back into the William Hartnell days with Episode 3 of "The Chase."

This is, of course, the Mary Celeste episode, and the Dalek time machine materializes on the main deck. Yet Daleks are seen in that episode on the poop deck. They got up those stairs somehow! Implication: levitation.

But a Mk V casing floating next to a bronze? Maybe the Mk V got a retrofit during the Time War! (while never officially developed, my assumption has always been that the bronzes were developed during the early days of the Time War since their midsection rotates independently of head and skirt, and their hemispheres are part of the self destruct system, not just sensor arrays.)

Unmentionable NP Daleks can't fly, because they're too lame. Their cheap plastic shells don't stand up to wind resistance. 

• @Triem23

"Unmentionable NP Daleks can't fly, because they're too lame. Their cheap plastic shells don't stand up to wind resistance."  lol

I seem to remember the Daleks had a levitation device (but separate from their main casing) in "Planet of the Daleks", maybe they used one of those to get up the stairs of the Mary Celeste?

tbh I don't really begrudge you your flying Mk V. It's just waaay too long since I had a Dr Who related discussion/argument with anyone, I just couldn't resist the urge... 

• @JMcAllister Fair enough. :-)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited December 2016

Well, this is my "Plan B" Holiday Greeting for this year... Although this was my "Plan-A" for 2015, so I'm improving.

https://youtu.be/4ej9B4yZABs

And my "Plan D..." aka, "Happy-Every-Damn-Holiday-in-December-and-There's-a-Hell-of-a-Lot!" 

https://youtu.be/_FAcmGDHHUQ

• An a Merry VFX-Mas to you sir! 

(nice work btw)

• edited December 2016

Plan B. Someone who thinks ahead. Us procrastinators with only a plan A kinda shot ourselves in the foot.

Like the 3D models used as letters. Creative.

• @Stargazer54 @NormanPCN thanks, gents! Next year I'll do Daleks in Santa Hats! 

• Those are sweet.

• Have the Daleks be the reindeer and the NX Tardis be the sleigh. 

edited December 2016

Well... I've been saying I'd do a bunch of tutorials since Hitfilm Ultimate 2. Finally got off my ass and finished one... (Trust me, there's a while bunch of unfinished ones--some dating back to HFU2)

Tutorial Preview...

https://youtu.be/DaZXJrB9AhY

•  @Triem23  Whoa!  I am looking forward to seeing how that's done.

• @tddavis you'll be surprised how easy it is. 

• @Triem23 : So where do we go for your tutorials?

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator
    edited December 2016

@DLKeur  The path to the tutorials is a dangerous one shrouded in mystery and full of hidden perils for the unwary. Or it might require a trip to California for the moment, kinda the same thing really. 

Seriously though I know @Triem23 has been working on a bunch off and on for a long time now but hasn't been able to really finish any. Work that pays always comes first ;)

• @Aladdin4d : I avoid dangerous paths, especially if those paths lead to or through California! Have you seen those traffic jams?!

edited December 2016

@Aladdin4d @DLKeur Hey, I live in California! Our traffic jams aren't that bad compared to some other places! 

Oh, tutorial is out.  Thanks @JoshDaviesCEO for inviting me to play and teach! Thanks @AxelWilkinson for the notes on the rough edit! 

https://youtu.be/LsrnBpAWag4

• +1 on the displacement tut!

• edited December 2016

So now when I read one of   @Triem23 clear and concise posts, I now have an appropriate voice to use. :)

Great Tutorial.

• I could listen to your tutorials all day Triem, I hope they could work out a deal with you. =)

edited December 2016

@GreyMotion @BobDiMarzo @CNK thanks, guys. I'll admit, having Josh give me a deadline did force me to prioritize. As @Aladdin4d noted, I've had a lot of tutorials in the pipeline for a while, but keep pushing them back. Then a new iteration of Hitfilm comes out and makes things obsolete (seriously, each new version of Hitfilm adds something that is a one-click setuo of something that used to require a workaround!) 

Bob, I do have a cold right now. ;-) 

I want to point out this @inScapeDigital tutorial in using Displacement Mapping. Javert used the techniques to add background depth in one of his shorts, and his tutorial is where I first heard of the technique. 

https://youtu.be/v5-ODIT80n8

• edited December 2016

@Triem23  Great tutorial.  Very handy info there and in @inScapeDigitals, too.  Cleared up a  lot for me about displacement.

• @Triem23 : Nice to hear your voice. Great tutorial on how-to.

• Awesome Tut.

• @Triem23 ; Excellent!  You've got that "radio voice" going on. :) But seriously, clear, concise and to the point.

@JoshDaviesCEO If FXHome is smart, they'll pick you up for a full time gig.

• @Stargazer54 Radio Voice is right! I kept expecting to hear  "Axel Wilkinson is coming up after the break right here on KVFX!"

• I left a comment days ago but it seems to not have posted!  Guess I'll try to remember to not use my phone because that's when this kind of thing happens.

Can't remember what I said beyond it being a great tutorial: well laid out, concise, easy to follow and I loved the multiple solutions approach. Excellent vocals. I would watch hours and hours of your stuff! Hope you finish more. Thank you once again @Triem23 ! Looking forward  to when I can once again say "It's Miller Time"!  ;-]

Sign in to comment