Triem 23's "Hey, I'm Working on THIS!" page (Update: Eagle Transporter Flyby Test Jan 31, 2018)

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Must have been the lighting being so bright on the station that made is stand out and surprised me. It didn't blend in the scene. Looking forward to the next iteration.....that's Trek talk......I think.
    Thanks for the in depth explanation on how you did the animation. Picked up a couple pointers there.
    The only good bee is Aunt Bee: and she's not even an ant......or a bee!
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    A relit version of the Trek shot is currently rendering. My lighting changes have increased render time from 4 hours to a projected 10!
    I had an idea on creating a more 3D bee, from scratch, entirely within Hitfilm. I may try this...
  • I'm looking forward to your relit version as well. I like the motion and the new "atmosphere." But the lighting seemed off. With that big, boiling sun, it should be your main light source. 
    The Federation ship also looked like it passed through a shadow shortly before it does its flyby.
    Still loving those torpedoes!
  • edited May 2014
    A relit version of the Trek shot is currently rendering. My lighting changes have increased render time from 4 hours to a projected 10!
    I had an idea on creating a more 3D bee, from scratch, entirely within Hitfilm. I may try this...

DO IT!   DEW IT!    DUE IT!

edited May 2014
    Well.... The previous iteration of this shot, I had set up several of my lights as directionals (Which is why the ships seemed to fall into shadow. They were flying out of the light.) I replace my directional lights with point lights.
    This increased render time from 4.5 hours to 17.5 hours.
    Probably should have turned off shadow casting for fill lights 1-4.
    So, comments on this and previous render--I generated an environment map in Photoshop: basically generating a couple plates and using Polar to Rectangular warps, lining the two plates up and cleaning up the join to be seamless. These plates are stars and nebula clouds.
    The particle nebula was generated by arranging six emitters in a circle around a center point, keyframing the emitters to move closer to the center point, then spinning the center point. Particles per second and particle scale were keyframed. Few/small at the edges, more/larger further in. Each emitter's particles are different colors. Two blue, two red, two yellow. This gave me spiral arms. (the camera is in a gap between arms). The Spiral nebula is 120,000+ units across. I actually had to turn up camera clipping distance to keep the far edge of the structure. For perspectve, the Klingon and Federation ships were just entered "normalized." since they're about the same size.
    My 'Kramer" star was imported, and it's source textures scaled down, since it's pretty far back. This star was brought in as an embedded comp, converted to a 3D layer, set to Billboard to Camera and placed in the center of the spiral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zurb8jIw5ac
    edited May 2014

DO IT!   DEW IT!    DUE IT!

I did it. Still a few things to work out, but, in two hours I built and flew a 3D Bee created entirely within Hitfilm.
    http://youtu.be/QrI0_bbt8fU
  • edited May 2014
    You did it! Looks just like the other animation! Great job!
    So did you use the same principle as making a 3D planet for the body of the bee and applying the texture?

The lighting looks way better now on the Trek vid. The station didn't smack me when it appeared. ;) 
    You did it! Looks just like the other animation! Great job!
    So did you use the same principle as making a 3D planet for the body of the bee and applying the texture?

The lighting looks way better now on the Trek vid. The station didn't smack me when it appeared. ;)

For the 3D bees, body I used a black plane and put another plane above it, using the grid effect to generate the Yello striping. This was embedded into a rigging comp and the sphere filter applied. So, yes, basically like making a sphere planet in Hitfilm. The sphere was rotated 90 degrees on the X axis so the north pole of the spere faces camera.
    The bee's face was drawn using Hitfilm's masking tools on a black plane. The face was also embedded into the rigging comp as a 3D plane and positioned. You can't really see, but the face has a little 3D extrusion on it.
    The bee's wings were drawn on two planes with Hitfilm's masking tools. One, a light blue that's fairly transparent, the other a black plane for the outline. The wing was moved into the rigging comp, converted to a 3D plane and positioned. The wing was duplicated, flipped 180 on the Y axis and positioned. Wing beats are hand-keyframed, and the wings do actually rotate on all three axes.
    Using the "gimble rig" trick I developed for my 3D particle cloning experiments I copied the data from the animation camera into the rigging comp camera so that the bee's were shown at the correct angle relative to the field.
    The rigging comp became an animated texture source for a particle sim which generates the swarm. When I get some more free play time i will give the bees antennae and legs, and fill out the rest of the field environment (The camera goes so high and tilts so low because I was trying to NOT show the edges of my "world."), refine the camera move a bit a render another pass at this.
    Interestingly enough, the 2.5D techniques I've been playing with ended up being used in my submission for Film Riot's 5th anniversary contest--I'll be posting my 5 second video in a couple of days after the episode come out. Since the "contest rules" (such as they are) specified uploading to an "unlisted" youtube file, I figure they don't us showing off our entries until after the 5th anniversary episode airs.
    (I'm pretty sure I won't win anything. As of 5 min ago my youtube account shows 0 views for the animation. Sigh. Too bad--I won't say it's fantastic, but it was certainly different.)

So, a few days ago I did a gig at the LA Westin Bonaventure Hotel--it's a pain in the butt to work at (they don't make it easy on vendors), but it's a super-super gorgeous hotel, and it's been a featured location in many movies, such as Nolan's Batman trilogy, Hancock, etc, as well as being recrated as "The Atrium" in GTA: San Andreas.
    (More info on this gorgeous hunk of building: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westin_Bonaventure_Hotel )
    Anyway, I couldn't resist the opportunity to shoot a little bit, even though I only had my phone on me (Soon, I'll go back with a DSLR and see how much footage I can grab before they kick my ass out. The phone, being auto iris, had some serious issues when moving from the ceiling over the 5-story lobby to the full-outdoors of the rest of the elevator shaft. Otherwise, I'd have followed the elevator all the way to the ground. I could do it, but I'd have to take one of the shots where I went UP the elevator, splice it in, then reverse it, using the bits where shooting the 15-foot tunnel shaft to hide the splice.)
    So, I figured I'd play around. See if the footage from a Samsung GS3 would track cleanly in Mocha.
    Here's what I did:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLkUTnMtBQc
    I think my favorite part of this animation is synching the TV damage to the weapon fire of the saucer--like it's putting out so much radiation it's interfering with nearby electronics.

• Hey - awesome scene!
    I watched it first and until I read your comments I didn't even realise that you'd filmed this footage on a phone - bloody hell! It looks great!
    In fact, it's so clean I thought maybe there were some 3D building models chucked in there. Very impressed. 
    I think my favourite part is also the end when the UFO fires the weapon at the camera - beautifully done and very 'realistic' (as realistic as a UFO weapon can be). The only thing I'd say would be about the movement of the UFO at the start, it doesn't move quite cleanly and pauses at 0.05 which looks a little unnatural. 
    But apart from that - really cool piece here Triem!
    edited May 2014
    Ty, Kristie!
    Nope, no 3D buildings models, just part of LA.
    Saucer movement needs a little refinement. Think a keyframe has incorrect interpolation settings. There also needs to be some reflection in the left elevator tower at the beginning.
    There's a neat "shadow over glass" effect when the saucer files overhead, too--an unplanned happy accident with the lens dirt!
    The explosion of the text object could use some stock footage explosions to beef up the chain of Quick 3D Firey Explosions I used...
    Really, the only thing being done as a color grade (other than lens dirt) is a blue-orange gradient at low opacity in Color Dodge mode--the blue links to an arbitrary point off up-left, the orange is parented to the point tracking the close end of the lightning generator firing "towards" camera. It gives a nice, cool look to the beginning, and warms up the end as the elevator descends into flame...
    Oh, yes... The copy of the source video masking the foreground explosion has a grade layer just under it as a light wrap source. Where the video is using itself as the wrap source, nothing happens. Where the explosion is, it bled the flame color. Once again, I thank Simon Jones for that tip. It's proving invaluable.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    Very cool! Oddly, when I first watched I didn't realise that the UFO was destroying the text - instead, my eye was drawn to the buildings behind the text, and I thought it was firing at those. Bit of a weird optical quirk, and may well just be me.
    All you need now is a reflection in the building on the left, as the UFO first goes by. ;)

Kirstie - the reason the phone footage looks good is because he filmed it in landscape mode. ;)
    Darnit, I SAID I needed that reflection! :-P
    Besides shooting landscape--because I don't shoot vertical video--I also had nice, bright sun, and the elevator cage had vertical and horizontal crossbars, thus I was able to jam my phone in there so it was rock-steady. :-)
    It's a remarkably good shot given the camera - I'd go as far as saying that you could edit it into a larger piece shot on a 'proper' camera as an establishing shot and nobody would notice.
  • That looks great! I never get good tracks in Mocha. I know its an awesome program, but for some reason it will say I'm getting a 99% track, but when I camera solve and import to HF the points slip and slide around like crazy. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. 
    Well, the "contest rules" said to send 'em the link to an "unlisted" video, so i haven't posted this until now.
    This is my 5 second "Happy 5th Anniversary, Film Riot" video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtYfJbK0yqw
    Hopefully someone here will enjoy it, because, at the time of posting here, it had 1 view on Youtube, which was me making sure it worked. So, the Film Riot crew never ever saw it. Sniff-sniff!
  • That looks great! I never get good tracks in Mocha. I know its an awesome program, but for some reason it will say I'm getting a 99% track, but when I camera solve and import to HF the points slip and slide around like crazy. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. 

Are you sure the frame rate is exactly the same in both Hitfilm and Mocha?

• Kirstie - the reason the phone footage looks good is because he filmed it in landscape mode. ;)

You're never letting that go, are you? Gargh.
    I look forward to seeing that UFO clip back again Triem with all the changes you're discussing. I noticed the "shadow over glass" effect the first time and was wondering how you managed it! Cheers to happy accidents :)
    Unfortunately YouTube doesn't seem to be working for us today over here, but I'll look at your Film Riot video when it is.

• edited May 2014
    Well, there are 6 views on there now. I know I was at least one or two or maybe three of those. I watched it four times and refreshed the page after each viewing. So either my views counted or they got things straightened out across the pond and Kirstie and company watched it too. 
    Maybe the glitch included FilmRiot's area and youtube crashed due to entries being submitted(?)- one can always hope.
    Does YouTube count the creator as a view if they're logged in?
  • I think it does. After posting vids I usually check them myself and the count always registers one view. I doubt that someone beat me to viewing it first, my vids aren't THAT interesting to draw that much attention.
    edited May 2014
    Youtube SEEMS to count my own views if logged in, however, it doesn't seem to log using a YouTube DOWNLOADER as a view. Interesting.
    Anyways, as the Conolly boys noted, they got over 2000 videos, abd, even if they were ALL five seconds, that is still 10,000 seconds, which is 2.5 hours for a single glance. No biggie.
    Creatively, I didn't just want to say "Happy Birthday, Film Riot" and get shot or blown up (which many others did--it's obvious, fun, and in the Film Riot vein), so I tried something different. Cheering cartoon film people waving 5th anniversary Film Riot banners is different!
    (Incidentally, also a learning experience on 2D puppet rigging in Hitfilm. Unlike the bees, those film guys lean, bob and jump, and I had to animate all limbs and body motions, keeping the feet on a -ground-line)
    Really, it seems all I needed was Simon Jones and a noisemaker. ;-)
    Null, I have some mocha insights, which I will get into later tonight when I am on my computer, not my phone.
  • LOL that was awesome, quite enjoyed those 5s!
  • in that render the enterprises front was flashing... 0:24 i always thought that was just a graphical anomaly when i ran into it.... how do you get rid of that? Im surprised to see it in a render.

edited May 2014
    That looks great! I never get good tracks in Mocha. I know its an awesome program, but for some reason it will say I'm getting a 99% track, but when I camera solve and import to HF the points slip and slide around like crazy. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. 

Mocha is tempermental: I've also had 99%tacks that jittered.In fact, the original track of the elevator shot, I tracked that bit of roof just before the elevator shaft enters the building--that's where I was gonna put the "Mocha Hitfilm..." Just quietly sitting on the roof... It drifted.
    Now, some of this is how Mocha works--it's taking two-or-more things that you're saying "It's a tracking marker, and it's yay big" as surfaces. Mocha doesn't know what it's tracking, how far away it is, what the floor is (if you tracked it--for that shot, I didn't do a ground plane).. It's just guessing based off of how a couple rectangles are sliding around in parallax. Pretty amazing, but I do find anomalies.
    Since Mocha has no idea of scale, it seems to be arbitrary in it's placement--my first track of the elevator shot put objects 300,000 units away! Since the mocha camera clips at 100,000 by default.... Well, I resolved the shot after tweaking my surfaces a bit... That brought stuff to about 50,000 units away. much better...
    Ideally, mocha is getting a large surface to track--but in that elevator shot, some of my background nuildings were pretty small--look at how reflective the tall towers are. I couldn't track them! The City National building on the left was white on white--that wouldn't track. I'm tracking the glass elevator tower on the right with an unlocked spline, and one of the orangey buildings in the center. But a smaller tracked area on an object that's very far away would be prone to jitter, just because it's interpolating motion based of a pixel matrix--there's got to be "quantization" errors.
    Anyway, I'm rambling a bit. Key is, trying to fins large track areas, and adjusting your surfaces--if you get issues in Hitfilm, try adjusting the surfaces and resolve the camera--remember, the track data isn't affected by changing the surface--and you don't want your surace to be too large or too small... I had to make the surfaces on the orange building larger than the actual tracked plane to get a good scale.

You're never letting that go, are you? Gargh.
    I look forward to seeing that UFO clip back again Triem with all the changes you're discussing. I noticed the "shadow over glass" effect the first time and was wondering how you managed it! Cheers to happy accidents :)

Kristie, if you shot vertical video, you deserve teasing.
    I think if I return to this shot, I'll lose the Text, bring in more saucers, and shoot up more buildings. ;-) Downtown L.A. is a pain. ;-)

LOL that was awesome, quite enjoyed those 5s!

Thank you!

in that render the enterprises front was flashing... 0:24 i always thought that was just a graphical anomaly when i ran into it.... how do you get rid of that? Im surprised to see it in a render.

Caleb, I'm not sure what's going on there. There's three possibilities--first, it's a highly detailed model, and I might need to change ambient occulsion settings. Second, My models and particles are all illuminated by lights casting shadows It could be flickering from particles moving between the Phoenix (Oh, yeah, the creator of that model has her labelled NCC 800--U.S.S. Phoenix) and the lights. Third, ther could be a strange render glitch going on in Hitfilm.
    So, first I turn off the nebulae and RAM check it--if no flicker, it's that. If flicker, then check ambient occlusion.
    If all else fails, I'll add some lightning or something in the nebula and pretend it's supposed to flicker. ;-)
    Just for the heck of it, here's a couple of my raw shots from the Bonaventure. You'll see why I want to go back there with a better camera.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cteAuoe-Jp0

• Just going back to the YouTube views, you can check where it's been viewed, my 5 second submission was watched in Texas so they definitely watched it. I think you have to go to video manager (can't be done on a tablet, as far as I know). I'd say if they didn't watch it they didn't get your email or something or other was down.
    edited June 2014
    Just going back to the YouTube views, you can check where it's been viewed, my 5 second submission was watched in Texas so they definitely watched it. I think you have to go to video manager (can't be done on a tablet, as far as I know). I'd say if they didn't watch it they didn't get your email or something or other was down.

Well, there's 2 views in Texas, so I have unfairly slandered the Film Riot guys. Although I was kinda joking, hence the sniff-sniff. ;-)
    The thing that's driving me crazy about Youtube analytics is some thing I did has become amazingly popular in India and Pakistan--I'm getting 500 views a month from those two countries on that video and I can't figure out WHY?!
    Anyways--new day, new(er) shot revision:
    Version 2: Things to do--add rest of fleet (particle clones), fix the amazing disappearing explosion, and building reflections.
    *EDIT* Version 2 removed--please see version 3 below. If you wish, read my rants about how I set up the shot. ;-)

• That's cool - the chopper firing works really well.
    edited June 2014
    That's cool - the chopper firing works really well.

Thank you, sir. I've actually already dropped in and masked the particle fleet, which is out in the distance, between that tall brown building center of frame and the taller grey buildings. I have also fixed a couple of issues with the helicopter explosion and changed the saucer weapons fire to green (I like how the saucer angles to fire from it's bottom-mounted weapon).
    *Edit* Oh, and the saucer gets a shield! (note to self: animated particle texture followed by a polar warp and sphere filter...) *end edit*
    I am debating adding another foreground saucer and another copter. What do you think? Would that clutter stuff up too much?
    Otherwise, ready for reflections. That's going to be tricky--the camera left tower is a cylinder, and it's reflections are all things out of frame--I will probably go into Google Maps to get bearings on correct angles of reflection, and I suspect getting a "correct" reflection, with cylindrical distortion, and the distortion of the glass ripples will take longer than the rest of the shot. Any ideas? (I should pick Orange Pekoe's brain, considering what he did with his "Meta" short.. WHY ISN'T "META" FEATURED ON THE MOVIE WALL?!)
    *Edit-Edit*
    14155403600_955b8ff623_o.jpgArea Map by triem23, on Flickr
    Ok, here's looking at the area in Google Maps: On the left map, the green X is the elevator tower I was in, the arrow indicating my direction of view. The yellow lines represent the field of view of the reflections on the tower to camera left (camera left of my source footage). The right map is a wider angle of the area. The green is still me, the yellow is still the FOV of the tower reflections. The red is the rough path of the UFO. The blue is the rough path of the helicopter.
    The PURPLE circle indicates the focal point of the Particle Invasion: LA shot from a few months ago, with the arrow pointing towards the virtual camera for that scene.
    This tells me two things--first, I can use it as a guide for doing reflections of the UFO on that camera left tower. The reflection FOV tells me that I don't need reflections for too much of the shot, because the UFO wouldn't actually reflect, except for maybe two seconds near the top of the shot (At about 12 seconds in when the saucer accelerates towards the chopper) and maybe a second at the end (As the saucer fires on the hotel).
    Secondly, I had added in the particle fleet last night, but, now that I've look at Google Maps, I've changed the animation of the particle fleet. Last night I had it move from camera-left to camera-right. Now it's moving camera-right to camera-left. This brings the motion of the particle fleet into continuity with the previous Particle Invasion: LA shot.
    While the two shots were conceived of as independent entities, hey, they may as well go together, right? The angle of the sun in both animations is close enough where, with a little finessing, both shots could totally live in the same sequence and be good matches.
    So, I'm glad I decided to look at Google Maps--it turns out that, instead of working on a disconnected shot, I'm working on shot #2 of a full sequence.... I also just wanted to point out how useful Google Maps can be when planning out sequences. :-)
    Version 3. Notes applied from my above post--Added BG fleet, saucer shield, refined explosion of copter, changed weapons fire on saucer, tweaked sound mix. Next step, building reflection, which only really should be there from seconds 12-13.
    http://youtu.be/QRqZfSO9iCw

Sign in to comment