My Laptop is malfunctioning, cannot turn on the CPU fan

CNKCNK
edited June 2016 in Everything Else

Hello,

My Laptop is malfunctioning. It can't balance the fan use that's on the CPU.

What's happening: When I use my laptop normally, at a Max CPU usage set to 50% or lower, the fan kicks on everytime as soon as the CPU temperature is reaching 70 C, and goes quiet again when it hits roughly 60 C on at least one of the 4 cores.

However, when I increase the Max CPU usage to anything above 50%, the voltage is higher (I measure using HWINFO), from 0.7-0.8V to 1.0V, and it runs just fine. But, the fan doesn't kick on as it does at a lower CPU Max %, and so as a result, it goes all the way up to 90 C, even hit 100 C once, and obviously it just shut down to prevent any damage to the CPU.

I'm going to contact Intel, but in the meantime, do any of you know what's going on with my laptop?

Specs:

i7-2630QM 4 core 8 threads

GT 540M

4 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64 Bit (not activated)

Packard Bell EasyNote TS11-HR-658NCD

Tried so far:

Flash Bios

Pressure air

Comments

• @TriFlixFilms Shop this lad some thermal squiggly blob ;)

• edited June 2016

@KevinTheFilmmaker A damn good clean in the vents and heatsink with a fresh application of thermal paste should do it, if it still continues then contact your store for a maintenance check. 

• I used a flashlight straight into the fan area, it's so clean that I can see the shine of the heatspreader, or whatever it is that the fan is ontop of.

It's strange, because the fan works, but doesn't want to turn on at higher voltages.

I got this laptop in 2011, no more warranty, it would be cheaper to buy a new laptop. :)

• edited June 2016

@KevinTheFilmmaker
    What's the model of your laptop? 

• CNKCNK
    edited June 2016

http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?e=938341
    Packard Bell EasyNote TS11-HR-658NCD

The link doesn't show the D, but it's the exact same look and same specs so I don't know what that letter means on mine. I got it from the sticker.

• It's alright just the TS11-HR is enough, do you have facebook? I need a better realtime comms with you to try something.

• Sure buddy. How do I tell you without letting other know?

• https://www.facebook.com/tonyncee just add and we'll carry on from there :)

• Quick update:

The CPU temperature is rising too fast, so I've contacted my local PC shop and asked if they can clean my laptop. 

I'll update once that's done, and see if this strange behavior has disappeared.

NXVisualStudio 

Thank you!

• Thermal squiggly blob's dried up :P 

@KevinTheFilmmaker  that's cool man :) 

• Suuuper weird.

It's still happening, and I'm still waiting for a reply from my local computer shop.

Does anyone else have any input on this, maybe you come across something similar, and are able to help me solve it?

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@KevinTheFilmmaker How long have been running Windows 10 on this laptop? 

• CNKCNK
    edited June 2016

@Aladdin4d - In total - a few weeks. It's the version that you have to activae. I have the original installation discs (5) here, but my laptop doesn't want to take them.

It locks up on the installation screen, the cursor is just spinning, so I don't know what's up with that!

Do you think it has to do with my OS?

• edited June 2016

@Aladdin4d  Additional Info;

The laptop is a model from 2011, it's BIOS version was from factory default revision, to make sure it wasn't a firmware issue I got him to flash to the most recent version which was from around 2013, the problem continued after flashing, He then mention that the time it took to get from 60* to 90*C was around 10/15 seconds and then that instantly rang alarm bells, the odds are his laptop has this really crappy white compound that dries up after 3/4 years,  it literally turns to dust almost :) , anyhoo @KevinTheFilmmaker have they had a look at it yet ? 

• CNKCNK
    edited June 2016

@NXVisualStudio - Nope, not yet. I'm hoping tomorrow, but that's just the e-mail. I have to wait until next week or later to get to the shop, if it's even accept the laptop and agree to clean it for me, and replace the thermal paste. Sounds like Packard Bell doesn't use very high quality paste..... :(

Some more info... Intel said that my CPU isn't going to get damaged, it's going to last for several years longer even at high tempeartures, and the shut down is there to prevent damage. What a reliaf, hah.... :)

• edited June 2016

@KevinTheFilmmaker Don't worry dude, the manufacturers changed that a fair while back, this is off memory I can't remember what it was that they used to use but nowadays it's the polysynthetic high density compounds. 

Edit yeah, the CPU will thermal throttle, other than that, too high and boof, fail safe

I'll give it a definite "maybe" ;) 

I have seen fan control problems on laptops where the OS was a different version than what the laptop shipped with and just browsing a Google search for your laptop and fan control problems I saw a couple of things about having fan control problems after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8. 

If something similar is happening with your laptop I'd probably start with checking into the chipset drivers to see what version(s) are installed. All speculative but it's possible you might have to use an older driver version or you installed an up to date version that was working but Windows update installed different drivers it thinks are more up to date etc etc. Just a thought mind you

If you're adventurous you could do it yourself! The breakdown doesn't look any more difficult than any other laptop. This isn't the exact model but it should be close enough to give you a good idea of what's involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZcgywmIQvk

• @Aladdin4d -I don't have the tools to do that. :(

I'll try installing the "original" Windows and see if that helps. I'll try cleaning it again and see if I see any improvements.

• CNKCNK
    edited June 2016

@Aladdin4d - @NXVisualStudio

So I'm in the process of deleting everything on my laptop's hard drive. I unscrewed it and connected it to my desktop PC. I connected the SATA and the power and it won't show up in Windows. 

I managed to get the installation menu to work using the old original install discs I have, but it told me to delete everything on the hard drive, and it wasn't able to do so by itself. Which is weird, because after I chose the first option which was just factory restore, it erased Windows on it, because if I connect the drive to my laptop now, it says Bootmgr missing...

My primary hard drive is connected to the white SATA, and I tried my laptop hard drive in both the yellow and the blue SATA, neither works, broken perhaps?

UPDATE:

Proof that my BIOS see the laptop hard drive:

UPDATE 2:

After inserting the SD card from my camera, so that I could transfer the image, the laptop hard drive now shows up in My Computer, it just refreshed everything after I connected the card. But I did refresh normally before, STRANGE!

I'm currently formatting the drive, then installing Windows on the laptop, will update if something goes wrong.

• CNKCNK
    edited June 2016

The install was a success, I'm going to install HWMONITOR and see what it says. Right now it's installing all the bloatware, and I'll ask you guys later what to keep, because I don't want to mess it up again. 

One of those programs is called Intel Turbo Boost Turbo Boost Monitor, so I'm hoping that's one of the 38 programs I'm getting that solves my problem. xD

UPDATE: I'm getting a bunch of Adobe Elements software for free. :O

@Aladdin4d - @NXVisualStudio

• It's doing the same thing. It's still a problem. The problem might be the thermal paste, I'll see what I can do about that. I confirmed this on the original Windows 7 installation. The fan doesn't kick on...

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@NxVisualStudio lets assume for now you're right about Kevin's thermal paste being dried out. Is this a DIY fix, or will he need a service call? If DIY, do you have any recommendations on what thermal paste Kevin should get? 

• @KevinTheFilmmaker

Here is a thread about thermal paste off Tomshardware forum. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/360490-28-best-thermal-paste-lowest-temps ; And yes it is a dyi project and there are also many youtube videos out there about how to take apart the laptop (I am sure there is one on that specific model)

I would also be curious as if upgrading the ram amount might also help with the high cpu temps. I know with my laptop I went from 4 to 8 and it made a world of difference with how often and how hot the bugger gets sitting in my lap.

Also as mentioned the bios should kick in at set temps and do a thermal shutdown before any real damage is done to the processor or motherboard.

• Sorry chaps the router's been playing up today, providings are doing repairs on the boxes across the street, @Triem23 Yeah providing he follows the video Aladdin posted it will be ...Almost straightforward, @KevinTheFilmmaker if you can, try taking pictures of all the brown cables( ribbon cables ) that are connected to the different boards i.e. the trackpad, keyboard, display connection and so on, that way you have a better reference when putting the laptop back together,

The thermal paste I'm using and is inexpensive (arctic silver) but there are other decent manufacturers.

Other  thermal compounds;
    1.Xigmatek PTI
    2.ZeroTherm ZT
    3.MX-4
    4.Noctua NT-H1
    5.BioStar TC
    6.Arctic Silver

If you feel that this is overwhelming then go down the service route :)

• CNKCNK
    edited June 2016

Now that I ruled this out. I suppose I could just let this thing update to Windows 10, because the world is about to end according to Microsoft, juding by how badly they want me to upgrade, WOW!

That's ok, the first thing I'm going to do anyways is install the Windows 7 shell on it, can't stand the Windows 10 UI....

edited June 2016

Taking apart a laptop isn't that hard and the only tools you really need are the right size and type of screwdriver(s). Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Screwdriver-E-Durable-Professional-Electronics/dp/B01D0X1IIG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1465153649&sr=8-4

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Precision-Screwdriver-Computer-CTK100P/dp/B0001NYK16/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1465153649&sr=8-15

Should cover everything. Just take it slow, keep the fasteners organized as you remove them and take reference pictures like NXVisualStudio mentioned. 

There are thermal paste cleaners like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

But 70-90% Isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs and/or pads will work too. Some people like to use nail polish remover (Acetone) but that would make me a little nervous, acetone can dissolve a lot of stuff. Once you get the heat sink removed and stripped soap and water will work for that just make sure it's dry before you put it back in! While you have it out check the heat pipes for signs of damage or leakage. If the working fluid has escaped for some reason you'll need a new heat sink assembly. Don't worry about this too much it's really rare for that to happen but I have seen it with a heat pipe assembly that used water for the working fluid that went through a long freeze. The freezing of the water caused a small fracture that allowed the water to evaporate after it thawed out. 

@NXVisualStudio has you covered on thermal paste! Any of those will work fine. For what it's worth I tend to go with Noctua NT-H1 not because I think it's any better but because the last few times I've had to buy thermal paste the price was right with Amazon Prime shipping ;) Luckily you have a Sandy Bridge processor so its heat spreader is actually soldered on. Newer Intel processors use a thermal paste between the die and the heat spreader and some users are having to pull off the heat spreader and change out that thermal paste too.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment