Star Trek Comes True AGAIN!

I, personally, would have little use for this but I find the concept fascinating. And I have ever since the universal translator was used so many years ago on Trek. Now it looks like someone is making that leap to understand each other even easier.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/meet-the-pilot-smart-earpiece-language-translator--2#/

Comments

• ST is the history of the future.

Can't wait until I can just whip around the sun at warp 18 and fix all the stuff I F'd up.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Pffft. @Stargazer54 your (perfectly understandable and correct) TOS bias is showing. By TNG times the Warp Scale was recalculated where Warp 10 was infinite speed (barring one episode where Wesley and "The Traveller" had Enterprise at Warp 12--but the less said about Wesley, then better). And, of course, by Voyager, we weren't supposed to go faster than Warp 6 because of stretching the space-time continuum, or something.

Earpiece is cute, but that's just an incremental upgrade to the Google Translate we've all had at our fingertips since the down of smartphones. I assume there's an Apple Translate, too, but, based on Apple Maps, I assume Apple Translate works like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akbflkF_1zY

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff
    edited June 2016

I'm so conflicted with this - it is such a great opportunity for people from all over the world to come together and experience things without barriers (which is great) but also, there is so much that goes into a conversation beyond just the words. I feel like - in concentrating so much on trying not to look crazy as I heard a repeated, disembodied voice in my head repeat back in a generic monotone - I'd miss all of the physical cues and tone from that person and end up misunderstanding them anyway.  

However, I'm intrigued so I'll be keeping an eye! Smashing your target by 2515% when you make a physical product has got to be absolutely terrifying, so we'll see how that affects production!

Also @Triem23 - this is exactly the scene I was thinking about! Also this: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz2-ukrd2VQ

• edited June 2016

@Stargazer54 - I have a Star Trek encyclopedia that says 'history of the future' on the cover. I actually referenced it to one of our state legislators years ago to argue against building a baseball stadium (on tax payer money) for the Milwaukee Brewers. I told him according to the history of the future, baseball would die out in 2014 (? can't remember the exact year off hand) and investing money in a new stadium would not be beneficial. He laughed but he didn't buy it either. BTW- good luck fixing things!

@Triem23 - The original universal translators were bulky much like the first cell phones. By TNG they were incorporated into the comms link so they stream lined them pretty well.

@KirstieT - Yup, I agree that a droning voice in your ear would not be as demonstrative as an actual interacting conversation. No where near as personal.  

However, as you and T23 have demonstrated, you don't need a universal translator to be misunderstood. Love the M. Python and THE TWO RONNIES!!!!! Wow!!!! I haven't seen them in nigh on 30 years. I used to watch them with my mom every Saturday evening on PBS (Public Broadcasting Service).

But if I may go even further back to one of the greatest misunderstanding routines- humour wise - one that's still relevant today and one every kid under 20 should see at least once:     

https://youtu.be/kTcRRaXV-fg?t=36s

• edited June 2016

I'm confused. They seem to have invented something that makes itself redundant immediately. 

The app does all the work. The earpieces are just like a Bluetooth headset. OK, so rather than handing someone a secondhand earpiece covered in someone else's dried earwax, get them to download the App, use their own headphone and microphone - wired or wireless - and stand close enough to them for their mic to pick up your voice and vice versa.  As you probably have to do this for their earpiece to pick up your voice, no obvious difference.

So, just sell the app and job done.

If it does more than that and works well, then someone will produce an App-only version and undercut them 1000%. Doomed if it doesn't work, doomed if it does. 

• edited June 2016

@Palacono - Well crush all my hopes and dreams why don'tcha.  ;^) And ewwww, dried earwax!

What about translator microbes like on Farscape? One injection and you understand everything! No need for an earpiece, phone or app.

• StormyKnight I hadn't seen that standup - I feel that you have dramatically improved my life sharing it :) Now THAT is clever comedy!
    It reminds me of the card game 'WHOT' we would play at home.
    "What shall we play?"
    "WHOT?"
    "What shall we play?"
    "We should play WHOT"
    "A card game...?"

Good times. 

edited June 2016

I'm just gonna leave this here... *

https://youtu.be/p5mWQFGF7w8

*This one in particular because he cut in the opening credits. Also, the three below it on the list had ads. No, you don't get to monitize someone else's work, you soiled pair of Hodor's smallclothes! 

• @KirstieT  - When you first brought up Whot I was thinking "Whot is she talking about?" So I looked up Whot and found out whot Whot was. Then I was thinking,"Well, whot do ya know? That's whot  Whot is." ;^) If there was an online version I'd ask if you'd fancy a game!

Glad you enjoyed the Abbott and Costello vid. Before the internet guys like myself would only see this once in a great while. If lucky, we'd get to hear it on the radio during a rain delay of a baseball game- that was even more rare. I've consistently gone back to this video, at the very least once a year; it never gets old and I still end up laughing so hard I get the obligatory tears.  

@Triem23 - I think I'd prefer the translation microbes over the Babel fish. Although, walkin' around with a fish sticking out of one's ear might lead to some humorous conversations. 

1st person in Swahili: How about a quick game of Whot? 

2nd person in Japanese: Whot in the world is Whot?

1st person: Whot did you say? I've got a Babel fish in my ear!

2nd person: Whot? I can't hear you with this Babel fish in my ear!

1st person: Oh, whot's the point?

2nd person: Whot?!?!?!

1st person: Never mind!!!!

• @StormyKnight Ohh Niceeee, it doesn't look like the design will keep them in the ear for long but the concept is pretty clever, @Palacono  has it on point with the ear wax ehhh 

• edited June 2016

I'd just like to point out that Star Wars gave us the iPad.  'scuse me, "datapad".

And with the invention of the iWatch, Dick Tracy is now reality.

nerds 

@StormyKnight Animaniacs did this homage to the Abbot and Costello:

https://youtu.be/Mdqv5xIsFLM

@KirstieT I was unfamiliar with The Two Ronnies! Excellent sketch! I was also unfamiliar with Whot! Although I think I would prefer Nigerian Rules.

@SteveKarstensen pffft, look back a "2001: A Space Odyssey," for Bowman and Poole using tablets at breakfast! 

• haha @Triem23 I've watched 2001 once and once only, and it was long enough ago that I don't remember much of it.  One of the most self-indulgently dull movies I've ever seen.

• edited June 2016

SteveKarstensen - Todays nerds are tomorrows cool. I've gone from one end of the spectrum to the other 'cause the kids I grew up with called me nerd and kids today think I'm cool. Weird......and a little unsettling.  ;^)

Triem23 - I've seen that somewhere once before- that was a 90's show so one of the kids my mom used to take care of may have had it on....or I was too lazy to change the channel when the show came on one afternoon. I've actually heard more shows than I've actually watched. My only question is, what's wrong with sounding like an owl?

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited June 2016

You may poo-poo 2001 as slow in today's context, but you have to give credit where credit is due.   2001 was ground breaking in its day and gave us special effects legends such as John Dykstra and Doug Trumbull from their work at 20th Century Fox.

Lucas wanted Trumbull for the original Star Wars film but he was too busy working with Spielberg on Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  Trumbull suggested that Lucas contact Dykstra instead and the rest is history.

Dykstra brought in bunch of college students and artists into the the SFX department to work on Star Wars.  This group (soon dubbed by Lucas as "Industrial Light and Magic) included Ken Ralston, Richard Edlund, Dennis Muren, Joe Johnston, Phil Tippett, Steve Gawley, Lorne Peterson and Paul Huston.   (many revered today as SFX gods) 

• edited June 2016

@StarGazer54 oh, I'm well aware of just how groundbreaking it was in terms of influence, special effects, and so on.  I just can't sit through it.  The only thing I remember about watching it the first time was, as the "acid trip" sequence stretched into it's thirteenth hour, thinking "I'm sure I'd appreciate this a lot more if I was really high."

...and this is coming from someone who sat through all four hours of both "Cleopatra" and the uncut version of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis".

@StormyKnight JSYK I was kidding.  I'm probably a bigger nerd than all of you combined, what with my former career in game development, a love of Star Wars so vast that I even enjoyed the prequels, and the unbuilt lightsaber prop sitting on my kitchen counter.  I really have no room to talk.

Never could get into Trek, though.  Especially not since most of the fans I've interacted with are the kind of nerds other nerds would beat up for their lunch money.

• SteveKarstensen - "Never could get into Trek, though.  Especially not since most of the fans I've interacted with are the kind of nerds other nerds would beat up for their lunch money." LOLOL Well, someone will have to beat me up then. I don't mind being called a nerd in the least. To me it's a badge of honor. All my friends call me a computer nerd especially since I built my own. In truth, not including building a computer, I know maybe 15% more about computers than they do and that's really a reflection of how much they don't know.....which would be all the basic stuff they should know. I think developing games is cool- so there ya go.  ;^)

Stargazer54 - I actually liked 2001, it was 2010 that let me down. There are a lot of movies hailed as "GREAT" and I just don't see it. Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz (although I did enjoy it when I was a kid), Dr. Strangelove, and the one I could not sit through from beginning to end, A Clockwork Orange. Why they are considered wonderful ranges from film to film but I just found A Clockwork Orange perverse at best, stupid at worst.

edited June 2016

@StormyKnight ; Funny, most of your dislikes were Stanley Kubrick's films.   And you either love 'em or hate 'em.  There are some stinkers in his repertoire for sure, Barry Lindon among them.  

But I have always liked 'Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb'.   Mostly because of Peter Seller's dead on portrayal of multiple characters in the film.  The ending is also a classic with Slim Pickens as the cowboy B-52 commander going down as if he was riding a bull at a rodeo.  Oh yes, lest we forget, James Earl Jones was also on board.  And, of course George C. Scott as Gen. Buck Turgidson

But I think many would have to admit that 'The Shining' stands out as one of the best from Kubrick, which would only have been half the film without Jack Nicholson.

But we digress from the original thread.  Without getting into an unnecessary debate about which was/is better - ST or SW, I think it safe to say that many predictions by science fiction writers have come true over time.  This case can be taken all the way back to Jules Verne predicting the submarine.  Before that, Leonardo da Vinci, who's visions of flight predicted the helicopter in the 16th century .  I would really never put Lucas or Roddenberry in the same league.

• edited June 2016

@Stargazer And of course, when you say Michelangelo you mean Leonardo DaVinci. XD 

All of those ninja turtles were smart chaps, though.

edited June 2016

@AxelWilkinson Yes, of course!   (I'm a dolt)

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@Stargazer54  Gentlemen! You can't fight in here this is the war room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeqVGP-GPM

@StormyKnight If you have Netflix you can binge watch Animaniacs and you should. Spielberg basically threw a bunch of talented people in a room, told them have fun and left. They did and the results were pretty fantastic.

• @Aladdin4d Ah, yes.  Dark comedy abounds.

"Don't let him in!  He'll see the Big Board!"

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment