Exports PT 2

Hi Everyone, 

I was recently exporting a video from Hit Film 4 pro that was shot on a Nikon Coolpix at full hd res. I started to export the video at the h.264 option. However, the results were extremely compressed and very pixelated. After consulting with the forum and the help service, I exported at h.264 at high settings, 5.1 and 40 as the target and max bitrate. However, the file is huge now, almost 10 times the size. Using the codec recommended in the help support, Apple Pro Res, made the file gigantic, tipping in at 1.75 gb for a 5 minute video at 1080. Is there a reason for this? If not, how come movies, for example, are downloadable at reasonable low file sizes for such long videos with such a great quality? If the answer is that quality comes at a price, I honestly wouldn't mind that much, only it would be nicer to have smaller, more easily sharable files.

Thanks so much

Comments

• "Is there a reason for this?"

Yes. File size is 100% dependent on the bitrate of the file. If your 40Mbps AVC/H.264 file is 10x larger as you say then your original render was probably around 4Mbps. Prores is many settings but the standard quality 1080p30 bitrate is around 145-150Mbps. That is obviously much larger than your 40Mbps AVC render.

Just going by your original report that 40Mbps was 10x larger then your 4Mbps file for 1080 is way too low for decent quality. You did not mention what your framerate is and this does matter in many/most circumstances.

If your video is 1080 and around 25-30 frames per second then try a bitrate around 12-20Mbps for MP4, AVC/H.264 output. Choose variable bitrate mode. Whatever you set the average bitrate to then set the max bitrate to 1.5-2x higher than average.

• I had my export at 30 fps, but I'll try setting to 15 or so mbps and max at around 30, with variable bitrate.

Thanks !

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

A few bitrates for comparison. 

Most DSLRs record at about 35mbps.

Blu-ray is about 18-20mbps. 

Amazon/Hulu/Netflix about12-15mpbs. 

YouTube about 10-12mbps. 

However, YouTube recompresses everything and it's better to upload a higher bitrate file for overhead. 

• That's pretty generous to Youtube. 1080p30 is really more like <= 8Mbps AVC. Good advice on uploading a higher bitrate. Much of this is due to the x264 encoder than Youtube uses is capable of much higher quality at low bitrates than the Mainconcept AVC encoder than Hitfilm, Vegas and other NLEs use. Giving Mainconcept extra bitrate compensates for the difference.

Most Blu-ray is in the mid 20's AVC. Some are pretty high like Star Trek II which averages 32 Mbps AVC. A lot depends on the packaging. If all the extra features and such are on a separate disc the movie itself is commonly a high bitrate.

Sign in to comment