Not sure if been seen here before, but WOW...

Comments

• :O Dooooomsday music !!!! :D

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator

I hadn't seen that before. There's some really impressive stuff in there, especially some of the set enhancement shots.

I would question the decision to go ALL CG with stormtroopers, though. Investing in even a single practical suit could have saved a lot of time, I'd have thought.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Sighs. After a very impressive VFX demo I watched the actual film, and was, sadly, let down. It's sad to me to watch something that had so much skill, time and effort put into it miss the mark. 

Very nice VFX work, for the most part. But I will say this--someone who has the skills to do that amazing set replacement, extension and animation work really shouldn't skip color grading the non VFX shots. And, if grading is bugging me THAT much, I haven't invested in the story. 

• edited August 2016

-

• What grading problem are you talking about? To me it looks like all shots were graded.

• wow this is awesome

• edited May 2016

are the clones real people greenscreened in or 3D models?

• edited August 2016

-

• I'd say my biggest "issue" (which really isn't specific to this movie) is that everyone who shoots a Star Wars fan film... goes out into the woods.  Even when you've got amazing VFX like these folks are doing, they still shot it in someone's back forty.  I realize that it's the easiest place to set up and git'r done but c'mon guys, not every movie is set on Endor.

• edited May 2016

Is it just me or is that Jedi actually skipping (@ time code1.20) while killing those troopers, that's just messed up.

@KevintheFilmaker so the fact that the colors of a character's skin and clothing, and the colors of the surrounding vegetation changing from shot to shot within sequences didn't stick out like a sore thumb to you? It really bugged me. 

I'm also not a fan a profanity in my Star Wars fan film. The storyline is a mess (since the mysterious message is never given to the protagonist, ultimately those two pilots don't need to be in the film). 

The protagonist Jedi--let's say I found his swordsmanship weak, I would have liked to see his demeanor and fighting style change as the Dark Side rose and fell within him. Perhaps once the eyes change to show Sithness he could stop fighting with no expression and a hand behind his back--his calm Jedi style--and grimace, show anger, have his left arm out fist clenched... ANYTHING in the performance to show this inner struggle rather than having the entire inner struggle resting on face paint and contacts. 

To tie the last two paragraphs together, our protagonist kills a dude with an old cell phone, then randomly kills a bunch of troopers, then runs into two pilots (Rebels?) who were trying to find the Jedi for reasons that are never discussed. Our Jedi mopes in flashback a lot over being pissed off and Dark-Sidey and killing his mentor, who appears in hallucinations (because Force Ghosts have blue auras). After failing to find out why the Rebels are trying to find him (presumably a message about a mission with chance for redemption) he sacrifices himself so that the girl can escape (having utterly failed to complete here mission) and sacrifices himself pointlessly. And I didn't care. 

The costume looked like something Bob Fosse would have worn, and, since I really wasn't enjoying the film, I got really distracted by the angry red zit on his left cheek. 

AND I watched it a second time to see if I was being too hard on the film. Nope--you have some really great special effects, but a weak storyline and a poorly acted protagonist. Despite my stylistic objections to profanity in Star Wars, it's the male Rebel pilot who I want to see more of. 

Yes,@Andy001z he was skipping. Ugh. 

• @Triem23 I know have an image in my head of Jedi training camp with a line of Jedi trainies (I can spell padiwan) and the master going, "One two three skip and swip the head off!" - Shakes head...

• CNKCNK
    edited May 2016

@Triem23 The color palette does change in movies overtime though, I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean. 

This is the color palette in Skyfall

In movies I don't really notice the color grading problems, but if it's shown like this skipping scenes/everything inbetween shots then it can be distracting I imagine, though I'm not THAT bothered by it in the full movie.

I will tell you this though, I can tell instantly if a movie is Hollywood or indie/fanmade. Is it the camera, is it the grading, is it the detail? I don't know, but something is telling me almost instantly what type of movie it is, do you have this problem as well?

Noooo now I see whta you mean. I can't unsee it............

@KevintheFilmaker I ain't talking about color palettes changing in between scenes. I'm noticing color changing from shot to shot within the same scene in the same location. A good example is near the beginning of the film when the first Rebel/bounty hunter approaches that B-Wing that blows up. All the ground level shots have a lot of blue in the vegetation, where the long shots from the cliff above--remember this is the same scene/location/time--have a lot more yellow in the vegetation. 

It's a shame, really. Again, there was obviously a lot of time and effort put into this film. There's some neat touches like at least three languages being spoken across the cast, some personality quirks in the troopers, and some tight editing. It's an ambitious project and the creators pulled of some impressive shots that are nearly feature-film quality, but it just missed the mark enough where I didn't emotionally invest in the story and kept getting distracted by little glitches in presentation--like changing colors in shots or the occasional terrible prop. 

I wanted to like it--I always want to LIKE a film--and, as I said above, I put it aside for a couple of days and tried giving it another watch, but, ultimately, I don't really connect with the Jedi. 

I hope the filmmakers see some of the issues with this project and work on improving them for their next project, because there's a lot of incredible technical talent on display. Writing of the same caliber of the visuals would produce a truly top-tier film that could be something really special. 

Definitely a team that should keep filming. The skills are there, but this particular film is still (IMHO) a near miss. 

• And I want a new Paranormal Activity that's actually good, but we can't have everything! :D

Yes, I notice that too now. That's a shame, but the scale of this movie is pretty big, not quite feature but close, must of speed through the process when color correcting and grading.

@Triem23 ;

• @Triem23 I am glad my skills and knowledge is not at your level, it would spoil a lot of production. Mind you I agree about the connection with the Jedi.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@Andy001z ;

"I know have an image in my head of Jedi training camp with a line of Jedi trainies (I can spell padiwan) and the master going, "One two three skip and swip the head off!" - Shakes head...'

There's a Monty Python sketch in there......

Master: Now, I eat the banana (does so)

Trainee 1: You cut his head off!

Trainee 2: He's dead!

Trainee 3: He's completely dead!

Master: I have now eaten the banana. The deceased, Mr Apricot, is now helpless.

• edited May 2016

@Aladdin4d "We are the Jedi Knights that go Weeeeeee" sorry everyone back on the thread.

edited May 2016

@Aladdin4d great, now I'm doing the rest of that skit in my head...

Sgt.: Look, look. All right, smarty-pants. You two, you two, come at me then with self-inflating bread. Come on, both of you, whole basket each.

T1: No blasters.

Sgt.: No.

T1: No Lightsabersswords.

T2: No pointed sticks.

Sgt.: Shut up.

T1: No Force Choke, Force Lightning or Death Star.

T2: No Jar-Jar. 

Sgt: Shut up! 

T1: And you won't kill us.

Sgt.: I won't.

T1: Promise.

Sgt.: I promise I won't kill you. Now. Are you going to attack me?

T1/2: Oh, all right.

Sgt.: Right, now don't rush me this time. Stalk me. Do it properly. Stalk me. I'll turn me back. Stalk up behind me, close behind me, then in with the self-inflating bread! Right? O.K. start moving. Now the first thing to do when you're being stalked by an ugly mob with self-inflating bread is to -- release the Rancor!

(He does so. Growls. Screams.)

Sgt.: The great advantage of the Rancor in unarmed combat is that he eats not only the Breakfast-laden foe but also the bread. Rancors however do not relish the peach. The peach assailant should be attacked with a Dewback. Right, now, the rest of you, where are you? I know you're hiding somewhere. Well I'm ready for you. I've wired meself up to 200 thermal detonators, and if any one of you so much as makes a move we'll all go up together! Right, right. I warned you. That's it..

*Explosion*

CUT TO

Terry Gilliam animation: Ext, Jedi Temple. 

A gigantic Gammoran Guard leans out from behind the tower. 

Guard (voice by Frank Oz): Dinsdale! 

CUT TO:

The Knights of Ren Interrogation Sketch with Michael Palin as Kylo Ren. 

(Half a page later) 

Kylo Ren: Nobody expects a Knights of Ren interrogation! Our main weapons are surprise and fear, the Force, a Starkiller, an almost fanatical devotion to Snope, and smart uniforms... Damn! I... I can't do it. Captain Phasma, you'll have to say the line. 

Phasma (Carol Cleveland): Pardon? (removes trash from her armor) 

Kylo Ren: The bit about our main weapons! 

Oh, now back to the thread. 

• Snuck it in there.... (it's got VFX in it!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BDO3pyavOY

edited May 2016

@Triem23  Look, I'm only doing me job.

@Andy001z We are no longer the Jedi Knights who say Weeeeeeee. We are now the Jedi Knights who Say… ekki-ekki-ekki-ekki-ptang-zoom-boing-mrowr!

edited May 2016

@Aladdin4d @Andy001z

Announcer: The official result of the Galactic Hide-and-Seek, Mr Luke Skywalker from Anchorhead, Tattooine, 11 years, 2 months, 26 days, 9 hours, 3 minutes, 27 seconds. Ms Rey, Jakku, 11 years, 2 months, 26 days, 9 hours, 3 minutes, 27 seconds. The result - a tie.

Voice Over: A tie! Well what a fantastic result. Well the replay will start tomorrow at 7.30 a.m.

CUT TO

Int,  Jedi Temple, Day

Ki Adi Mundi [J. Cleese]: And now for something completely different. 

CUT TO:

Ext, Coruscant, park, Day

(Darth Sideous [G. Chapman], Count Dooku [T. Jones], Darth Maul [E. Idle], Darth Vader[J. Cleese], Asajj Ventris [C. Cleveland], Lord Snoke [T. Gilliam]  and Kylo Ren [M. Palin] are wandering the field aimlessly) 

Voice Over: Good afternoon and welcome to Palpatine Park. You join us just as the competitors are running out onto the field on this lovely winter's afternoon here, with the going firm underfoot and very litte sign of rain. Well it certainly looks as though we're in for a splendid afternoon's sport in this the 1138th Upperclass Sith of the Year Show. 

Voice Over: Well the competitors will be off in a moment so let me just identify them for you.

CUT TO:

Darth Vader

Voice Over: Darth Vader has an O-level in helmet respirator hygiene.

CUT TO:

Count Dooku

Voice Over: Count Dooku, has no best friend and in his spare time he's an accountant.

CUT TO:

Lord Snoke

Voice Over: Lord Snoke is married to a very attractive seat cushion.

CUT TO:

Asajj Ventris

Voice Over: Asajj Ventris is an exotic dancer, and her mother traded her for a UHD holo proector.

CUT TO:

Darth Sideous

Voice Over: Darth Sideous likes playing with electrical mains,

CUT TO:

Darth Maul

Voice Over: Darth Maul once fell into a vat of raspberry jam and has been used by his mentor, Darth Sideous, as a waste paper basket.

CUT TO:

Kylo Ren

Voice Over: And finally Kylo Ren thought by many to be an astounding twit.

• edited August 2016

-

• @GodOfThunder: What kind of effect did you use for the lens distortion?

In every shot it seems at some point you changed the projection proportions.

• @sarasota all I'm saying is, if you're going to go all out and get fancy with replacing backgrounds and what-not, turn it into Coruscant or something.  You're already doing VFX out the wazoo, pick something other than "the tree planet".

Two guys in Jedi bathrobes I'm more willing to let slide, but these guys?  C'mon.

• edited August 2016

-

• @ArcBac it's not my film, I just thought the compositing tricks would be interesting for peeps on here.

Sergeant: Right! Now let's see something decent and Military. Some Precision Drilling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhUZmvAEIN4

Sergeant: Right, stop that! It's silly! And a bit suspect, I think. Time for a cartoon.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment